Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 7:00:49 AM EDT
Whenever someone who wants our guns banned speaks, they always get around to how they are for criminals, militia nuts, or general malcontents and that legitimate gun owners and sportsmen don't need them and don't want them.  Obviously, that's not true.

A way to counter this is to equate these guns with modern firearms, which is exactly what they are.  When the question is posed as to why you need them, simply state that the are the latest in state of the art firearms, and that you have no interest in buying 100 year old designs (revolvers, bolt actions, lever actions, etc).  After all, you wouldn't buy an 8 track tape player today, would you?  Basically, the anti AW crowd wants to freeze civilian firearm technology to 1937.  That wouldn't work with any other category of material good, but they make it work with modern firarms because they have successfuly equated modern designs with antisocial behavior and use the guilt of consideration of a purchase as a dererrant.  Want an AR, you are bad!  Want a 1894 Win, you are good!

I am a gun collector, because I enjoy all guns, but my Mausers, Enfields, and Mosins are obsolete designs, and are inferior to modern stuff.  Why should we gun owners be forced into feeling guilty because we want to obtain and use modern firearms.  I use this argument fairly often, and in some cases it does 'disarm' an opponent whose primary attact is a 'Why would a legitimate gun owner want those' attack.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Good points.

However, I'd take an antiquated Thompson with a fun switch or a B.A.R anyday if that'd be OK with the "Why do you need such an evil looking weapon crowd". Hell, I'll even trade an AR straight across!

Sly
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#2]

That is a good point.  Next time I am talking to some liberal fool about gun control I will use it.

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Good points.

However, I'd take an antiquated Thompson with a fun switch or a B.A.R anyday if that'd be OK with the "Why do you need such an evil looking weapon crowd". Hell, I'll even trade an AR straight across!

Sly

If you find a deal like that, can I get in on it?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:27:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Good points.

Sly

Shhhh, they don't know about those...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice approach. I'll give it try, but unless it has lots of pictures and drawings, it might be too deep for some of the losers I know.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#6]
My biggest problem with the sheeple is the ANTI'S  got everyone refering to these guns as assault weapons , even the very people who make semi-automatic firearms purchases . #1. My Guns have NOT assaulted anybody .  #2. The guys out in the field who actually do assault ; would not wipe their @sses with single shot semi -auto rifles .  #3. Seein' as I am a free american I don't agree with having my Rights reevaluated on a daily basis . #4 . This is not Nazi Germany I will not leave my family defenceless they are sweet and innocent and it is my job to preserve that Enviroment. #5. I would like to live in a world where there are no bad people or bad animals but that is just not realistic ! So let's spend our time and energy on firearms education like drivers education and sex education because depending on someone else to protect freedom is also unrealistic and unresponsible AND unAMERICAN .  ...............We ARE the good guys!............We are RESPONSIBLE !   If you want to have NO protection or NO peace of mind , move to CANADASTAN .
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#7]
How do you know our guns are unpopular?  Becuase the media told you?  The same media that invents stories and evidence to back them?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:20:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Won't work. Any one of them will tell you that they're taking baby steps towards an outright ban of them all. There is no such thing as simply wanting to rid the world of certain weapons. I can guarantee you it won't stop with firearms either.
Ask them why you can't carry a sword, let alone a knife with over a 3.5" blade in Mexifornia. They were around back in the late 1700's when the Amendment was written.
I equate it to a womans right to choose. You're picking to kill a baby you decided to create. I simply want the choice in defending myself.
Ask them, do you feel a woman has a right to choose? When they say yes, stumble in "self defense."
Ask them if they've ever called the police. In my area, it takes about 15 minutes for them to show up.
The most pathetic thing in the world is an anti-gun male. Jesus, their balls were left in their femonazi wife/girlfriends purse. They can't stand the idea that other Men can stand up and take control of a situation, when their limp dick asses can't interupt a conversation without saying "Excuse me."
They KNOW their women want a real man. And that eats them up. If everyone is on the same level of pussification as them, they can sit back while she's being tag teamed by leroy and his broth'a Jamal and say to himself there was nothing that he could do, so it isn't his fault.
Does that describe every anti-self defense male you've ever known?
-Steve
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A way to counter this is to equate these guns with modern firearms, which is exactly what they are.  When the question is posed as to why you need them, simply state that the are the latest in state of the art firearms, and that you have no interest in buying 100 year old designs (revolvers, bolt actions, lever actions, etc).  

I am a gun collector, because I enjoy all guns, but my Mausers, Enfields, and Mosins are obsolete designs, and are inferior to modern stuff.  

I agree with everything except those statements. Even today the Mauser bolt action design is widely regarded as one of the best bolt action designs to ever hit the market.

In fact, alot of gun collectors like the older firearms because of the higher qulaity workmanship that can be found in them. Otherwise though I agree.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Won't work. Any one of them will tell you that they're taking baby steps towards an outright ban of them all.

It won't cure an outright anti, and it isn't intended to do so.  However it can have an effect on non gun people who have been led to believe that 'black rifles' are a bad category.  Once informed that they are merely modern firearms as opposed to modern incarnations of relics, they become a bit less aggressive.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#11]
... All salient points, however you’re assuming an anti can comprehend anything other than fear
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
... All salient points, however you’re assuming an anti can comprehend anything other than fear

IMHO, there are more ingorants out there than true hard core antis...  The illustration DF brought forth can work wonders on a majority of folks who are in fact just ignorant of the truth/facts and happen to willfully regurgitate spoon fed media mangled anti-gun lies.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:31:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good points.

Sly

If you find a deal like that, can I get in on it?

Stock on hand will obviously be the determining factor, don't hold your breath!

Sly
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Good talking point DriftPunch, I will use it when the opportunity arises

GM

Quoted:
Whenever someone who wants our guns banned speaks, they always get around to how they are for criminals, militia nuts, or general malcontents and that legitimate gun owners and sportsmen don't need them and don't want them.  Obviously, that's not true.

A way to counter this is to equate these guns with modern firearms, which is exactly what they are.  When the question is posed as to why you need them, simply state that the are the latest in state of the art firearms, and that you have no interest in buying 100 year old designs (revolvers, bolt actions, lever actions, etc).  After all, you wouldn't buy an 8 track tape player today, would you?  Basically, the anti AW crowd wants to freeze civilian firearm technology to 1937.  That wouldn't work with any other category of material good, but they make it work with modern firarms because they have successfuly equated modern designs with antisocial behavior and use the guilt of consideration of a purchase as a dererrant.  Want an AR, you are bad!  Want a 1894 Win, you are good!

I am a gun collector, because I enjoy all guns, but my Mausers, Enfields, and Mosins are obsolete designs, and are inferior to modern stuff.  Why should we gun owners be forced into feeling guilty because we want to obtain and use modern firearms.  I use this argument fairly often, and in some cases it does 'disarm' an opponent whose primary attact is a 'Why would a legitimate gun owner want those' attack.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Good points, but personally I see it as more of a philosophical issue and would like to add this. To wit: Do not presume to think for me. Don't legislate what I should buy or not buy. Don't regulate what I can or cannot do (after a point).

Also bear this in mind: When anyone so much as considers "altering" the liberties of liberals (abortion, death penalty... I'm sure there are plenty of others) they get militant and protest, as well as other stuff. If they were on our side of the gun issue they'd be doing that- and more. But they have no problem selling others' rights (that don't agree with theirs) down the river.

Hypocrites. I do realize that without liberals we wouldn't have certain things, like racial and sexual equality, but since those things have come to pass, they haven't done a whole lot I agree with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top