Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 8:57:01 PM EDT
Well, I traded in my huge gas drinking F-150 Super Crew for a little ’04 Acura RSX Type S the other day.  I just got sick of paying $300+ on gas each month along with a car and mortgage payment and everything else.  

I’d like to modify the RSX a little bit, but I’m not sure where to start.  Any ideas on where to get good after market parts, and is there anything I can do to squeeze a little more gas mileage out of it, and or boost the performance a little bit?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a202/bladefist45/rsx1.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a202/bladefist45/rsx2.jpg
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#1]
NIce looking car, but I would rather have the pickup
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd take the butt rape van in the back.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It was very nice, and I really loved it, but with gas prices as high as they are now and going higher every week, It was just too costly.  At $2.49 for regular, it cost me $74.70 for a full tank. hock.gif
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice car. I'm not a real fan of gray interior though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Find some Honda/acura forums.

A cold air intake will let the engine breathe a little better, and can free up a little horsepower.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Turbo with an intercooler is the first thing I would do along with high end ignition components.  Next I would upgrade the suspension.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to $20 full gas tanks.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#8]
here ya go..the black hole just click on the RSX forum and you're set.

Just a FYI, becuase I've been there and done that when it comes to building Honda's/Acura's,
that $300 a month that you thought you'd be saving will now be gone if you click that link and join the "dark side"

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice car.  But for the love of God, DON'T get a 'performance exhaust'.  The drone will drive you nuts.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, I'm going to need a second job.hock.gif
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Nice car.  But for the love of God, DON'T get a 'performance exhaust'.  The drone will drive you nuts.

Yeah, that's one thing I won't do.  A friend of mine has one on his Honda, and I can't stand it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:22:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Very nice car but how much faster do you need to go
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:29:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Welcome to $20 full gas tanks.

I remember when it was $10 full gas tanks. Man I miss them days

Nice looking car BTW
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:31:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:35:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice looking ride!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:36:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Try an egg under your gas pedal.....

M4-AK
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:38:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was very nice, and I really loved it, but with gas prices as high as they are now and going higher every week, It was just too costly.  At $2.49 for regular, it cost me $74.70 for a full tank.

To hell with that, you made a smart move.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:39:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice!  Luxury, reliability, efficiency.

G
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Well congrads.......I did the same thing Fri Night...

Traded in my 2002 Chev Z71 4x4 for a Honda Element......Go figure....

2.55 a gallon here.....
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Well congrads.......I did the same thing Fri Night...

Traded in my 2002 Chev Z71 4x4 for a Honda Element......Go figure....

2.55 a gallon here.....

Yeah, it seems like that's the thing to do these days.  I know a few other people that are thinking about trading in their big cars in for small ones.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I kept my Avalanche since we need one large vehicle.  $70.00 even fill-up last time - ouch!

But the wife's Marauder is now replaced by a 4cyl. Accord.

That Acura looks slick!

I didn't realize just how many people are trading out for more economical cars, but I'm starting to think it's a lot.  

As if GM and Ford aren't hurting enough - their one item to count on for sales - trucks - if that falls flat, what then?

What surpised me about the Accord was the 15% Japanese content (transmission) and the Made In USA Engine.  And of course, assembled in Marysville, Ohio (which I've driven past, what a monster)  Honda made in the USA and my Avalanche assembled in Mexico
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:39:31 PM EDT
[#23]
There will be plenty of ricer parts for that car.  Start with the forums and then look for the parts on ebay.  

ETA: the cheap things to buy are front and rear cross braces.  KN filter and cold air intake.  I would also not buy the ricer exhaust but get a real high flow low resistance exhaust.  

Headers and other mods will get expensive and not worth it.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
There will be plenty of ricer parts for that car.  Start with the forums and then look for the parts on ebay.  

ETA: the cheap things to buy are front and rear cross braces.  KN filter and cold air intake.  I would also not buy the ricer exhaust but get a real high flow low resistance exhaust.  

Headers and other mods will get expensive and not worth it.  

Those are the things I'm looking for right there, air filters and stuff like that.  I don’t want to make the car any louder though because the cops around here are really bad.  I’ve already had a few cops follow me very closely these last few days.  It’s kind of funny because they never gave the truck a second look.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Unless you're willing to drop big bucks on it, the "performance" upgrades are limited to just the K&N filter and an Injen cold air intake....
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Put a Bush/Cheney 04, Gun Owners of America and an NRA sticker on the bumper.

Quoted:
Those are the things I'm looking for right there, air filters and stuff like that.  I don’t want to make the car any louder though because the cops around here are really bad.  I’ve already had a few cops follow me very closely these last few days.  It’s kind of funny because they never gave the truck a second look.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:06:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Please, please, please, no fart (or coffee can) exhaust, and don't Rice such a fine automobile...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Put a Bush/Cheney 04, Gun Owners of America and an NRA sticker on the bumper.

Quoted:

And the Browning logo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#29]
i just did the opposite pretty much.  traded in my 04 civic for an 05 Titan.  but frtloop has an 05 civic so the truck is only used to drive back and forth to work and to haul anything i need.  if we go somewhere together we take the civic...saves a ton on gas.  ive had the Titan for a week now and only have used a half tank gas...good stuff.

as for the upgrades, the first thing most people do is headers/intake/exhaust.  

you said cops were bad with noise so thats basically all out.  i had an AEM intake on my civic and it was definetly a deeper sound.  id suggest a k&n filter to put in the stock air box.  thats pretty much the only thing you can do cuz of the cops.  

with such a nice car like yours and if the cops are already following you then i wouldnt really do much, maybe do the inside if you're into that.  but like what was said above, turbo would make the most power for you but then you have to get the intercooler and another exhaust.  

good luck with whatever you do man...the RSX Type S is a very fun car to drive.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

my buddy and i call those "axe murderer vans" but we might have to rename them now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#31]
If you're going to mod anything, just mod the suspension.

Japanese engineers work their asses off to bring you the best combination of power,  economy and reliability...changing factors that affect these things will only start causing you problems.

Just get a decent set of coilovers like Tein or HKS, and call it a day.

After you get tired of taking turns at over twice what the yellow signs say, then start modding for power.

I used to drift and street race when I lived in Japan, and nothing makes an average or under-powered car better then stiff-ass, over-engineered suspension.

Congrats on the new RSX! I'm looking at trading in the old Grand Cherokee and picking one up myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top