Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 1:10:48 PM EDT
So far so good, everything seems reletively easy and have already transfered 10 gigs of music over to it!

pics..

the screen is brite and vibrant and I like the stand

can flip the screen to how ever you want too and use your own pictures as a back ground.

and for the price i picked this one up for 158.00 + 11 shipping
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#1]
cool
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#2]
its nice, but iPod killer...hardly...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#3]
What is it's full capasity?

Can you use it to store any files you want?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#4]
40 gigs , any type of files (can be used as a portable hard drive)
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Tell me what the ipod does better , not to start a argument but maybe I am not informed?

My g/f has the new video its pretty and 30 gigs but almost twice as much as mine was.
16 hour batter life is longer then the ipod is well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you simply drag and drop, or do you need to use propriatery (sp?) software like the Ipod?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Can you simply drag and drop, or do you need to use propriatery (sp?) software like the Ipod?

Well if you have windowns media player 10, then you can just transfer using that but not @ usb 2.0 just normal

" the room " software is included and does allow you to xsfer 2.0 but its propriatery < sp>?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:28:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

you can actually drag and drop files like a portable hard drive but for some reason you cannot access them ( try to play them on the gigabeat but you can put them back on a computer - just use the hard drive)
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell me what the ipod does better , not to start a argument but maybe I am not informed?

My g/f has the new video its pretty and 30 gigs but almost twice as much as mine was.

Does anyone make accessories for it?

iPods have a HUGE aftermarket following. Heck, car manufacturers are building adapters into new lines they are so popular.

Sometimes if you go with the flow you get the best experience.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does anyone make accessories for it?

iPods have a HUGE aftermarket following. Heck, car manufacturers are building adapters into new lines they are so popular.

Yep.
Ipod has a great market following.
Now that car makers are building adaptors into their new cars?
Ipods will be around for a long time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought my gf an ipod, this looks like the ticket for me.  I have a Toshiba TV and a Toshiba laptop so it might fit right in.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#12]
How big is it?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#13]
okay so car manufacturers are making ipod connections built in so most of them should also have a slot for " mp3" players and this should fit right in.

My camera can connect directly to this to xsfer pictures and ipod cant.

better sound , better screen , more options , better compatibility , the list goes on and prices is definatly better.

all that ipod has better is there marketing dept.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How big is it?

its about the same dimensions as the ipod 30 gig video i'll take comparison pictures tonight!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I bought my gf an ipod, this looks like the ticket for me.  I have a Toshiba TV and a Toshiba laptop so it might fit right in.

what tv do you have?

I have a toshiba tv also and its awsome.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
all that ipod has better is there marketing dept.

+1
There are several media players that I think are way better than ipods, personally I like the iriver brand.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#17]
This sounds like it would be just the ticket for me ... 40 Gig for 150'ish??

Where did you purchase it????
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#18]
IPOD is Apple, nuff said.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
IPOD is Apple, nuff said.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the iPod for its interface.   Very intuitive.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#21]
there was thing on the news today about iPods.....something like 49 million have been sold in the US.

this Toshiba has a long way to go before it reaches the iconic status of the ipod.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#22]
No way is it an Ipod killer, as it is kinda ugly, but seems like a good buy for the money.  I have an Ipod and i doubt after having it that I would be able to use anything else.  The system it uses for menu's and such are simple and nice.  I also find that using Itunes is much less of a pain then people say it is.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
This sounds like it would be just the ticket for me ... 40 Gig for 150'ish??

Where did you purchase it????

+1

Newegg has them for $250...I'd rather have a 30G iPod for $280. I'd buy one for $150, however.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#24]
The price sounds like for a refurbished model.  Otherwise it's more like $244-$250, still probably cheaper than the equivalent iPod (iPods are 30gb and 60gb at this time).

Nothing against refurbished, I bought a refurbished little iShuffle for the wife.  Most of the stuff returned to vendors works but the users have no patience to figure it out.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what tv do you have?

I have a toshiba tv also and its awsome.

Hell, I don't even know - had it for several years (50").  Upgrading to HI-DEF before the end of the year.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Battery life........18 months and then spend a$99 to fix it???

When some one solves that for $10 for a do-it-yourself replacment then ipod will have change due to market loss.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Dv8xbox,
Where did you find this device for $150is?

Thanks,
GlockSpeed31
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#28]
The iPod has better fit and finish and a very minimalistic design that is almost a work of art, but I doubt that the innards are any better.

The problem with the iPod, IMO, is the fact that the iTunes software is total crap, and the iTunes service itself is FUBAR. I know several people who have money on their iTunes account and cannot access it. They have contacted Apple time and again, but it is of no use. It's almost theft.

That is why I would never buy an iPod.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
That is why I would never buy an iPod.

You do realize that you don't have to use the iTunes store. I only use iTunes to load my iPod and have firewalled off its internet access.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought it on ubid they were selling a bulk of them I think thats how I got such a good price
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't you guys worry about the "permanent" non-user replaceable lith-ion battieries in those things?     I was forever turned off on IPOD's when someone told me that the batteries can go dead in as little as two years, and that apple would charge $100 to replace it.  

For myself, I got a CREATIVE nomad MP3 player...  it uses AAA batteries, and each one lasts 12 hours.   I can carry a replacement or two and never worry about having to find somewhere to plug in for charging.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Don't you guys worry about the "permanent" non-user replaceable lith-ion battieries in those things?     I was forever turned off on IPOD's when someone told me that the batteries can go dead in as little as two years, and that apple would charge $100 to replace it.  

For myself, I got a CREATIVE nomad MP3 player...  it uses AAA batteries, and each one lasts 12 hours.   I can carry a replacement or two and never worry about having to find somewhere to plug in for charging.  

THe batteries in the iPod can be replaced by the end user. There are a bunch of websites that walk you through it.

And about $250 for a 40 gig player that doesn't do everything the iPod does? I'll pass. I have 2 iPods, a gen 3, and video iPod. I dropped the 3rd gen and busted the display (dropped it quite a few times before that happened), but it still works.

Most people who 'hate' the iPod only hate it because it is made by Apple. It is a good piece of hardware, and iTunes is easy to use, as is the iTunes store. Hell, I don't think that any legal online retailer has a song database as large as the iTunes store does...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Looks nice, great price, but hardly an ipod killer. As for iTunes, I don't download music anyway - I rip everything off my own CD's at 320kbps and it works excellent. I don't even like Apple, but I must say I love my 60G ipod!!  It goes everywhere I go, carrying my complete CD collection of over 290 CD's, and it's only a little over half full. I only wish it had more on-board equalization options, maybe a graphic eq or something like that.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

THe batteries in the iPod can be replaced by the end user. There are a bunch of websites that walk you through it.

Each of those websites include the word "pry" which is something I'm hesitant to do on a $200 piece of hardware.  

It DOES void the apple warranty, so you're faced with paying $100 for apple to do it, or having to risk buying a new Ipod if you do it yourself and fuck it up.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Each of those websites include the word "pry" which is something I'm hesitant to do on a $200 piece of hardware.  

It DOES void the apple warranty, so you're faced with paying $100 for apple to do it, or having to risk buying a new Ipod if you do it yourself and fuck it up.

If your battery dies before the warranty expires, apple replaces it at no charge. After the warranty expires? Pry away.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#36]
According to TOshiba they will replace the battery if it dies within warrenty period as well
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Looks nice, great price, but hardly an ipod killer. As for iTunes, I don't download music anyway - I rip everything off my own CD's at 320kbps and it works excellent. I don't even like Apple, but I must say I love my 60G ipod!!  It goes everywhere I go, carrying my complete CD collection of over 290 CD's, and it's only a little over half full. I only wish it had more on-board equalization options, maybe a graphic eq or something like that.

It doesnt have a adjustable graphic equalizer .. ouch..

(mine does)
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I have an Ipod and I would have bought that in a second over an Ipod........... If only I waited
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Such delicious irony.

The people at Apple have to be getting a kick out of that argument being used for once to buy their product, when for years it was always an argument AGAINST their products .
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I REALLY don't think I'd want to be stuck with that interface (seems way too cluttered and unintuitive), but hey, to each their own.

I love the iPod, but I really wish they'd jump on getting some kind of AM/FM tuner built in. That's pretty much become commonplace among MP3 players. But I doubt it'll happen.

And damn, lots of misinfo on the iPod here....
1. I replaced my 3rd gen battery after warranty was up. Total cost: 28.96 (cost + shipping). Total time. 5 minutes. Total satisfaction? Yep.
2. 99 bucks to get it replaced by Apple? Screw that. If you can't do it yourself, there are services out there....69 bucks for any ipod, they send you paid overnight mailer box, you send ipod with box, they replace batter same day and send it back to you overnight.
3. If anyone says you have to use iTunes for your iPod to transfer music, they either never owned an iPod or don't know much at all about their iPod. Or things like XPlay, or EphPod, or Anapod Explorer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top