Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2006 4:09:36 PM EDT
Well, I had my first accidental discharge last night.  Just before I went to bed last night I was doing some dry-firing with my Glock to get my trigger squeeze more smooth...  Those of you who are familiar with Glocks know that when you pull the trigger on an empty chamber, the trigger locks back and you have to rack the slide to get it forward again.  Well, I did that for a little while -aim, shoot, rack the slide 3 or 4 times (I do it a few times just to be extra sure).  Now, the weird part is this.  

I load the gun back up and go to sleep with it next to me just as I do every single night.  Sometime in the night I'm awaken by a loud BOOM.  My ears are ringing and adrenaline is pumping through my body.  I'm laying there with my gun in my hand and I have no fucking clue what's going on.  After a minute or two I turn on the light and look around on the bed.  I look more closely and there's a hole clear through my mattress and out through the wall.  Well, I've apparently pulled the trigger in my sleep.  That's not even the best part, I look closer and there are three bullets in a neat little pile on the bed.  Apparently while I was asleep I racked the slide 3 times then pulled the trigger...just as I do when I dry fire...

Aside from a bit of hearing loss for most of the day, everything is fine.  Having a 9mm go off about a foot from your head tends to do that.  Thankfully, no one was hurt.  That could've easily turned out differently had I not shot it downward.  But anyways, I always felt pretty safe having a gun next to me while I sleep but I think I've changed my mind now.  Just something to think about for those of you who keep your firearms nearby while you're asleep.  You never know what you might do in your sleep.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine will still be near me and loaded while I sleep.

Were you drinking or on any medications, or do you have a history of sleep walking?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#2]
No drugs of any kind and I haven't done any sleepwalking since I was 3.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Dood
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad you're OK. That's definitely weird, but certainly not unheard of. You simply built up the muscle memory so well that you literally could perform that task "in your sleep."

Just one wall? Exit the house? Anything else get hit as well?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I would have had to change the sheets after that one.  That's damn scary.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#6]
2 step rule. YOu shoudl have to move at least two steps or rool over and make a grab for the gun. I always keep mine on the far side of the bed so I can just roll over onto it. That also places me on the far side of any intruder.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Glad you're OK. That's definitely weird, but certainly not unheard of. You simply built up the muscle memory so well that you literally could perform that task "in your sleep."

Just one wall? Exit the house? Anything else get hit as well?

Yep, it went through the top of the mattress and out the side of it then continued its journey through the exterior wall and into the ground.  (My bed is right next to the wall)
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad you're allright.

I don't keep a gun under my pillow for that reason, but if you so desire, have at it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#9]
The look on your face would have been a bit humorous, but as a whole the event was rather misfortunate and very lucky. I used to sleep with a gun within reach, but now I don't see a need for it, or a night light... SHTF, mines just a few steps away.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Always dry fire practice in a room with no ammo.

After dry fire practice put your gun away unloaded and let your mind calm down before reloading your gun.

Did you jump from dry firing right into bed?

Glad you didn't kill someone.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#11]
"I am the only one in this room professional enough to sleep with a Glock."
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Shit.  I keep trying to post a pic of a Gunvault, but it no workie.   Glad you're OK.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#13]
That sounds a bit unnerving.  My suggestion would be not to play with guns as part of your bedtime routine, or do something else afterwards to get your mind off of it/out of that mode.

I was into Ham radio for a while and had wonderfully long conversations with folks while sleeping. I have no history of sleepwalking, but sometimes I talk in my sleep.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#14]
 Damn good thing you're not a thumbsucker.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#15]
i just have to do it :OP

what kind of area you live in?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#16]
This is exactly why I don't keep my XD40 within my reach while in bed.  I have to take 2 steps to the case and open it to get at my XD.  I do have a history of sleepwalking and I am afraid that I would shoot somebody in my sleep if I kept a pistol loaded on my nightstand.  I have 3 dogs in the house so I am pretty confident that I would have time to get to one of my firearms in time of need.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Oops?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It's not BS I assure you.  I can get pics if there's any doubt about that, it'll just be a pain in the ass since I don't have a camera of my own.  My house is in a town of about 3,000, neighbors all around.  I'm guessing that because it was just one loud noise everyone around probably heard it, listened for a bit for another one then forgot about it because no one said anything to me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Good God!

I keep a 1911 by my bed loaded.....  perhaps this requires a change in SOP.

Glad nobody got hurt!
-JIM-
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You'd be surprised how much gunfire it takes to wake some people up unless its accompanied by screaming.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I believe you, but take pics anyway.
2 step rule applies here.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Be careful...

A guy in my hometown got arrested for an AD.

He had time to post it on ARFCOM but, he spent the weekend in jail.

ETA:

We all thought everything was ok (Even him) until the cops came to his house and arrested him...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Something like this has always been a fear of mine.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
"I am the only one in this room professional enough to sleep with a Glock ."

Glad you are OK!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#25]
ninjas....
It had to be them. They must have snuck in while you were sleeping. Too bad they didn't know that you are such an Uber-Warrior you would easily kill them off in your sleep. Too bad you only got one, the others must have carried his body off.
Seriously, you really need to get a handle on what did happen ASAP. a discharge while sleeping (eww... that sounds kinda nasty) is not to be taken lightly.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I showed up to visit my buddy one time and he handed me his Glock with some night sights he wanted me to check out and he says, “Chamber’s empty”.  I dropped the mag and racked it and a round popped out.
He says, “Oops, sorry…good thing you checked.  Sometimes I rack it in my sleep.”
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow, that is scary.  Glad everything turned out alright.

We had a local PD guy come by the Nieghborhood Watch meeting to demonstrate gun safety.  He brought with him a briefcase of guns that he show the class.  Not once did he unholster or touch his duty weapon.  That was real smart because, in no case during class did have a loaded gun on the table.  When fiished, he just packed up his guns and left.  The point is that maybe if you're going practice dry firing, use a gun that is not the one you use for self-defense.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:45:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
 Damn good thing you're not a thumbsucker.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Holy shit, whenever you become old enough to sleep with a girlfriend, you are going to shoot her. You need to rethink your whole rationale on your firearm storage while you sleep.

Me, I do not play with my guns in bed. The BHP is holstered on the headboard and strapped into the holster. But this is only under high threat conditions. Normally, it is much more secured because there is a big dog downstairs and a house alarm.

High threats are riots (this is Calif), escapees (search light helos all night), and earthquake looters. During the RK riots, I sleep with my BHP holstered on me with clothes. Nothing like having rioting out on your street and random violence. I hate to wake up and have to run the heck out of there fast while forgetting it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Why was the Glock not at least in a holster?

My G19 is about a foot away from me ever night reach out and grab it, but it is also in a holster.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#31]
That's no accident....it's complete negligence, and stupidity.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Hoy shit.  You sleep with a loaded gun that requires nothing more than a pull of the trigger?  Be damn glad you are not figuring out how to plan a funeral for a family member from jail.  You really should think about something with a safety.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Shit!  Glad you are okay
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#34]
This is one of the fears of mine as I occassionally have a condition called REM behavior disorder where my body does not shut down while I dream.  That means I physically act out my dreams sometimes.  In my sleep I have gotten up and changed clothes, pulled things out of draws, moved things around in the house, searched for objects that aren't there, shaken girlfriends awake because I was saving them from falling...ect.  This continues until my physical world doesn't match the dream then I wake up and stagger back to bed.   I keep a loaded pistol in my night stand every once in awhile but I always keep it in a holster just so it's one more step.  But usually I'm so concerned about doing something in my sleep that it makes me uncomfortable to have it that close.

mattman42 do you have any signs of having sleep apena?  For me the sleep apena is what triggers the REM behavior disorder.  Is this the only time you have done something in your sleep or are there other times?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Do you normaly keep a round in the chamber ? I like those cheap little nylon holsters w/ an extra mag pouch .

I cant really see not having time to insert Mag. Or rack it if you keep the mag in the gun .

I've had a couple myself good gun handling proceedue and some luck has saved my ass more than once .

My freind shot me in the leg w/ an unloaded .22 .....I swear the first words out of his mouth was "It wasn't loaded" and at the time we were both gunsmith school students ! cuttin class shooting at the dump that is now the Boulder Gun Club .
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Damn!  My handgun is out of reach at night and requires me to get up and reach for it on the nightstand.  I used to keep it right next to the bed but I have some weird ass dreams sometimes so to be safe I keep it out of reach and holstered.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Glad you are ok.  You showed some guts posting this in GD.

I keep my pistol in a safe in the nightstand drawer.  I have to key in a 4 digit code before I can shoot my mattress.

Seriously, I am glad you are alright.  As you stated, you might want to look into other storage methods for your handgun.

Stay safe,

Cavu
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I load the gun back up and go to sleep with it next to me just as I do every single night.  Sometime in the night I'm awaken by a loud BOOM.  My ears are ringing and adrenaline is pumping through my body.  I'm laying there with my gun in my hand and I have no fucking clue what's going on.  After a minute or two I turn on the light and look around on the bed.  I look more closely and there's a hole clear through my mattress and out through the wall.  Well, I've apparently pulled the trigger in my sleep.  That's not even the best part, I look closer and there are three bullets rounds in a neat little pile on the bed.  Apparently while I was asleep I racked the slide 3 times then pulled the trigger...just as I do when I dry fire...

Fixed.

Glad you're O.K., and that you were sleeping alone.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Jeff Cooper, whose quote on continued violence in Los Angeles appears at the beginning of this report, recounts an anecdote: "We hear of an unfortunate woman who, during a nighttime asthma attack, confused the small handgun she kept under her pillow with an asthma inhaler and proceeded to relieve her symptoms. It was not a fatal mistake, partly because she used a .2 5 ACP, which everyone knows is not sufficient to clear sinuses.

www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/guns/ring/hazard.html

So what if its PBS, I'm not going to search all night.
It can happen.

I think the smart thing to do is balance the risks. Children or sleepwalking + common sense means there is an internal risk to your household that you need to take steps to minimize.

Single, no kids? By all means hang an AR from your bedpost.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#40]
When they said "practice until you can operate your firearm in your sleep", they weren't speaking literally.  Glad everything turned out OK.  I leave mine with a magazine in and the chamber clear, although that wouldn't have helped in this case.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#41]
I keep my 92FS safety on, unloaded at night after reading another similar story.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Now that's muscle memory.

I'm glad you're OK.  Bizarre story.

Now you need to go practice more -- you racked it three times without firing, what's up with that?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Glad you're allright.

I don't keep a gun under my pillow for that reason,

/\
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:02:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Just be glad you didnt have a dream about blow drying your hair.

And - uh - put your toys away. Maybe this sleep shooting was a one off - but I would have it in a drawer at least. Lucky no one got hurt.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#45]
are you planning on using this as info for an accidental death on you wife?? j/k it has actually beendone wear the guy said he didnt remember killing his wife with the pistol he kept under his pillow
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Finger was on the trigger. That's a ND and you shouldn't be sleeping with guns anymore. Glad no one got hurt.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I keep mine between the matresses.  Locked and cocked...X200A on the rail.

Glad no one got hurt.  Funny as hell though.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#48]

that is messed up......glad you are ok
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Give up the Glock and Buy a baseball bat.

You are damn lucky you didn't kill yourself or someone else
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#50]
If that really happened, you have solid brass ones to admit it.

For God sake, get yourself a small digital safe.

You are a danger to yourself and anyone who is unwise enough to spend the night, or live near you.

Seriously, get a safe.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top