Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2001 8:42:33 AM EDT
I went into the chat room on 30 November at about 1105 to see the new format and my firewall went nuts. I received probes of SOCKS and telnet ports at a very high rate and was forced to leave. I have not been back in and am not sure if I want to go back. What gives? I am not a computer whiz nor am I computer stupid, just average I guess but this concerns me. Can some one explain, I went to the Blackice site and read up on this but I still do not see why ar15.com would do this. I am sure there is something I am missing or do not understand. I do not feel that ar15.com is attacking me or my computer but I am a bit concerned, enough not to go back for now. Can someone help me out here?

Tony G[stick]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Senior Goat, I got Socks port and telnet probed 64 times from 11-28 thru 12-02. On 12-02 someone did run a trace route on me while I was on AR15.com. I have all the blackice info saved in an evidence log,let me know what you need and it is yours. E-mail me or call me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Man, I thought the DOJ was more discreet about doing port scans.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Can someone please translate what any of the above means to ....well someone who is less than averagely computer litterate?
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Odd, I run ZoneAlarm personal firewall and have never been port scanned while in the chatroom. I'm not there often but I suppose that it would make for a target rich place for a anti-gun hacker to do some hackivism. I assume that your IP address can be obtained while you're in the chatroom giving the hacker a target address.

There's no reason I can think of for the chat server to have to telnet your computer.
View Quote

Paul...  Check this out...

[url]http://www.computergripes.com/ZoneAlarm.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Imbroglio I dont think it is the DOJ. If it was the DOJ I dont think you would know they were there. It is probably a 12 year old that is going to go to work for the DOJ someday. But I think it is a problem with the Java script in the new chat server. Mr. Goat should be able to figure it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top