Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 8:55:09 PM EDT
It's something i've always wanted to do. I am sick and tired of the meaningless pice of shit jobs that don't make a difference. I want to do something important, make a change. It's time for me to get off my ass and grow up.  Can you give me a heads up on what to expect from the prelimenary proccess? I laughed when they said a polugraph med exam. I have smoked weed in the past but nothing worse than that, I don't think that will disqualify me. I hear the psych eval is the most important factor. Right now i'm just hungry for info, there is a hiring seminar later this month I am attending. If hired, I hope to be on the S.W.A.T team within 5 years
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
It's something i've always wanted to do. I am sick and tired of the meaningless pice of shit jobs that don't make a difference. I want to do something important, make a change. It's time for me to get off my ass and grow up.  Can you give me a heads up on what to expect from the prelimenary proccess? I laughed when they said a polugraph med exam. I have smoked weed in the past but nothing worse than that, I don't think that will disqualify me. I hear the psych eval is the most important factor. Right now i'm just hungry for info, there is a hiring seminar later this month I am attending. If hired, I hope to be on the S.W.A.T team within 5 years

Well good luck and learn to be a great cop, a notch above the rest, than worry about SWAT later.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#2]
good luck with it!

my academey starts sept 6th!  I cant wait!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#3]
My Aunt does payroll for the TPD, I am calling her tomorrow to see if I can get a ride along.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:37:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, I checked my record though public access in the state, and all that shows were 2 speeding tickets 6 years ago and a disorderly conduct, which was bullshit it was just me and my girlfriend breaking up, that was dismissed. I take it that's ok?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:40:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
all that shows were 2 speeding tickets 6 years ago and a disorderly conduct, which was bullshit it was just me and my girlfriend breaking up, that was dismissed. I take it that's ok?

The disorderly is fine, the "it was bullshit" is not. Doesn't show maturity, taking responsibility for one's actions.

TBO
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:47:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Most PD's aren't looking for "angels" they are looking for real people with life experience.  So I wouldn't worry about the marijuana smoking unless it was recently.  The biggest disqual from what I hear is financial so get your debt if any in order.  Good luck
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:13:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It's something i've always wanted to do. I am sick and tired of the meaningless pice of shit jobs that don't make a difference. I want to do something important, make a change. It's time for me to get off my ass and grow up.

Good for you.

Unfortunately, if you want to get SITREP on what a significant % of the population feels about you when you're on this side of the _______ , follow most of the   threads ref. any LEO that fucks up, whether a real FUBB or perceived. It's not an easy choice. FWIFA.

And remember: you're not gonna save the world by yourself. Hell, you'll be lucky to just keep entropy at bay for the duration of your shift most nights.  The important thing is being able and willing to step up, and be (the one at) the pointy edge of "polite" society.

Can you give me a heads up on what to expect from the prelimenary proccess? I laughed when they said a polugraph med exam.

Varies from place to place - usually a physical agility, a written exam, and a medical screening, including 'drop' for drugs. Some also include polygraphs and psych exams. THere are as many different versiona and expectations as there are agencies.

I have smoked weed in the past but nothing worse than that, I don't think that will disqualify me.

As long as you're honest about it if asked, and it hasn't been recent enough to get picked up by the urine test. If it is, then hold off on your application.  Same thing about your tickets/ citations. Most apps will ask about past event - watch for the distinction between being charged/ under information and being convicted / found liable. Once again, if asked, be honest, and don't refer to any charge against you as BS in front of the interviewer(s). +1 for maturity judgement.

I hear the psych eval is the most important factor.

Many places have done away with the psych eval - many still have them. It's completely up to the  Board / Commission as to what they'll place the most emphasis on, and what the questions will be.

Right now i'm just hungry for info, there is a hiring seminar later this month I am attending.

Good for you for seeking info. If it's the orientation that's given by the agency, it's usually mandatory. If it's one of the "BECOME A POLICEMAN TODAY!" pay-to-attend ones, save your money. Hit up the LEO's you know for info - bribe 'em with a cup of coffee.  Do a ride-along if you can.

If hired, I hope to be on the S.W.A.T team within 5 years

That's gonna depend on several factors - the first of which is being good at being a street level officer, the second is being in excellent physical condition. Time to hit the weights and track is now. Make it a habit. Plus, being in good shape makes the academy easier.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I am already setting up a weightlifting and cadrio program with a few friends of mine.

And it's not immaturity when I say the DC was bullshit, it was just that, bullshit. I have made more noise than that yelling at a videogame. My girlfreind of 5 years and I were breaking up so it wasn't a quiet converstaion. Anyway it doesn't even matter becuase it was dismissed. I had smoked a joint during the superbowl but that didn't even shoiw up on a hair test 3 months later, I wouldn't lie about anything anyway.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:38:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Anyway it doesn't even matter becuase it was dismissed.

Dude, it does matter. Every encounter with LE regardless of the charge or if it was dropped or not will matter....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#10]
be sure to be 100% honest about everything.  Don't throw the "It's bullshit" line out to the background investigator.  Tell him what happened and let him decide "it's bullshit"  If it's no big deal, he'll let you know.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am already setting up a weightlifting and cadrio program with a few friends of mine.

And it's not immaturity when I say the DC was bullshit, it was just that, bullshit. I have made more noise than that yelling at a videogame. My girlfreind of 5 years and I were breaking up so it wasn't a quiet converstaion. Anyway it doesn't even matter becuase it was dismissed. I had smoked a joint during the superbowl but that didn't even shoiw up on a hair test 3 months later, I wouldn't lie about anything anyway.

This years SuperBowl??

Then you're probably screwed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top