Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/10/2013 3:34:19 PM EST
I am writing this because I felt the need to bring attention to the customer service I received from Western Digital. I am not affiliated with WD, aside from being an end user. I simply feel that customer service such as I receeved deserves to be shared.

I had a 160GB WD Black laptop disk that began the click of death some months ago. It sat in my garage until I happened to glance at the date of MFG and realized it may be under warranty. I went to WD's site and, lo-and-behold, I had six months left on the warranty.

I sent the drive back to WD for replacement, cost me $5.15 Priority Mail. That was nine days ago.

Today UPS dropped off a brand new 500GB WD Black.

I can only assume that the 160GB models are no longer kept in inventory, and that they sent me the smallest WD Black they currently manufacture. No fuss, no emails. Just a brand new drive nine days door-to-door after I sent the original.

I realize that for a company such as WD, this is no big deal, and I can only imagine the markup on these drives over their actual mfg cost. However I firmly believe that "only 10% of happy customers post positive feedback" when I myself am reading product reviews, so I figured I would chime in, even if it is a huge company sending a meager product to a small time buyer.

I have a mix of WD and Seagate drives in my systems, and have used both for decades, and I have nothing bad to say about Seagate at all, however FWIW, WD will get my business in the future whenever possible. Customer service goes a long way with me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:54:35 AM EST
I have about twelve external drives, I don't even waste my time looking at anything but WD for my purchases.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:44:36 AM EST
They've been good with me on returns. I put all of my drives with errors into a box, and about once per year, send them all back, and get nice new ones in return.

Notice that I didn't say "dead", I said "with errors". I'll ditch a drive long before it's dead. More than one or two bad sectors, it's in the box. ANY seek errors or multi-zone errors, it goes in the box.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:02:21 AM EST
Good customer service... I had something similar happen to an old Bigfoot 4.3 GB drive I had. Yeah, it was a long long time ago. Customer service confirmed the serial # of the drive was under warranty and sent me a new one. It might have been WD at the time... who knows now.

Glutealcleft, what program are you running to determine the faults on a drive?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:00:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/13/2013 5:02:30 AM EST by GlutealCleft]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By scorpion12:
Good customer service... I had something similar happen to an old Bigfoot 4.3 GB drive I had. Yeah, it was a long long time ago. Customer service confirmed the serial # of the drive was under warranty and sent me a new one. It might have been WD at the time... who knows now.

Glutealcleft, what program are you running to determine the faults on a drive?
View Quote

The drive stores that (and more) itself. You just need a utility to read that data. I use smartctl, it comes with every Linux distro. The last time I looked at Windows SMART utilities, there weren't as many options as I would have suspected.

Most mobo's BIOS looks at SMART data, but doesn't actually tell you anything until the drive is so bad that it's all but dead anyway.
Top Top