Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2006 5:19:13 PM EDT
I never really knew my great-uncle except for that he fought in World War II. Anyway, he passed away last weekend and I really would've liked to have gotten the opportunity to talk with him before I leave for the Marine Corps Infantry in several years.

Here is his obituary in the local newspaper; it would be great if someone could tell me what these medals he earned mean.

"Harold was a distinguished World War II veteran, serving honorably in the U.S. Army in the Pacific Theatre of Operations. During the time of his military service, he earned the following commendations: Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster; Bronze Star; Good Conduct Medal; Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with Bronze Star attachment and Arrow Head; WW II Victory Medal; Combat Infantryman Badge; First Award; Philippine Liberation Ribbon; Honorable Service Lapel Button; WW II; Marksman Badge and Auto Rifle Bar."

This is what his obituary said about Harold's military career. Again, any information on what these medals and commendations mean would mean a lot to me. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I never really knew my great-uncle except for that he fought in World War II. Anyway, he passed away last weekend and I really would've liked to have gotten the opportunity to talk with him before I leave for the Marine Corps Infantry in several years.

Here is his obituary in the local newspaper; it would be great if someone could tell me what these medals he earned mean.

"Harold was a distinguished World War II veteran, serving honorably in the U.S. Army in the Pacific Theatre of Operations. During the time of his military service, he earned the following commendations: Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster; Bronze Star; Good Conduct Medal; Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with Bronze Star attachment and Arrow Head; WW II Victory Medal; Combat Infantryman Badge; First Award; Philippine Liberation Ribbon; Honorable Service Lapel Button; WW II; Marksman Badge and Auto Rifle Bar."

This is what his obituary said about Harold's military career. Again, any information on what these medals and commendations mean would mean a lot to me. Thanks in advance.

Purple Heart w/ OLC - wounded by enemy action, two awards
Bronze Star - Heroic action in combat
Good Conduct Medal - 2 yrs service w/ no disciplinary action
A/P Campaign medal - Fought in Pacific Theatre
 - campaign star - second award
 - arrow head - involved in initial assault
PLR - Fought in philipine campaign?
Combat Infantry Badge - Infantryman who was engaged by and engaged the enemy
Marksman Badge - qualification badge for rifle and automatic rifle (browning auto rifle BAR)

Hope that's accurate and hope it helps some...

Sorry to hear of your loss
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Also check out this site if you want to get copies of his actual records.  You might be able to get the award citations to learn what he received them for.
www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/standard-form-180.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top