Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2011 7:43:31 AM EDT
I just took my 4th Math exam of the semester. This guy is a real piece of work.

He lectures on the simplest concepts, makes HUGE mistakes during his lectures and examples and gives exams on the most complex concepts.

I really can't wait for this semester to be over. I've managed to maintain a B so far, but just barely. All I want to do is get out of this class with a C. Fortunately, I should be able to accomplish this by getting a 55% of higher on final.

I can't wait to do his student performance evaluation! This guy doesn't know how to do math, let alone teach it. Everything I've learned this semester has been from the book or the tutors in the math learning center.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 7:48:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 7:48:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By GUNGUY148:

Fixed.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 7:49:11 AM EDT
Student evaluations are worthless.  But yeah...really stick it to him!
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 7:54:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By motown_steve:

He lectures on the simplest concepts, makes HUGE mistakes during his lectures and examples and gives exams on the most complex concepts.

I really can't wait for this semester to be over. I've managed to maintain a B so far, but just barely. All I want to do is get out of this class with a C. Fortunately, I should be able to accomplish this by getting a 55% of higher on final.

I can't wait to do his student performance evaluation! This guy doesn't know how to do math, let alone teach it. Everything I've learned this semester has been from the book or the tutors in the math learning center.

My instructor was the same way. He was a GA that freakin sucked. He would stop halfway through showing us a concept and realize he had been doing it wrong which would confuse the shit out of the whole class. It got to the point of everybody getting so frustrated that half the class would get up and just walk out.

He was the only class ive ever gotten a C in.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 7:54:51 AM EDT

Hammer him
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:15:16 AM EDT
What math class?  This must be known before us math guys can start making fun of you.

; )

Please, please let it be algebra or trig, lol.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:17:49 AM EDT

Record the lectures, mistakes and all.

Bring copy to Department Chair.

Profit!

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:31:38 AM EDT
I have dropped 2 math classes because of teachers.

One had an impenetrable Vietnamese accent, and I just couldn't understand him.

The second also had a pretty strong accent, but the problem was that he would juxtapose terms or variable while teaching without knowing it. He knew what he was doing, but couldn't coherently verbalize it. I could usually catch his mistakes and follow along, but if I missed that he was talking about the wrong variable then it would make it impossible.

3rd try was a douchebag who spent the first 10 min8utes of each class trying to impress us with what a political radical he was, but at least I could understand him as far as the math went and get through the class.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:33:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By wingnutx:

I have dropped 2 math classes because of teachers.

One had an impenetrable Vietnamese accent, and I just couldn't understand him.

The second also had a pretty strong accent, but the problem was that he would juxtapose terms or variable while teaching without knowing it. He knew what he was doing, but couldn't coherently verbalize it. I could usually catch his mistakes and follow along, but if I missed that he was talking about the wrong variable then it would make it impossible.

3rd try was a douchebag who spent the first 10 min8utes of each class trying to impress us with what a political radical he was, but at least I could understand him as far as the math went and get through the class.

Yup. If you have the slightest feeling that a math teacher might cause problems, drop it on the first day.

Math is one of those subjects where it will bite you in the ass if you don't.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:44:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MultipleFractures:

What math class?  This must be known before us math guys can start making fun of you.

; )

Analytic Geometry.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:50:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2011 8:52:25 AM EDT by RDTCU]
My professor for Calculus 1 was the same way.

I said "Screw this!" and re-took it in the summer and got a B

I ended up with 2 B's and an A on the next three semesters of calculus...

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:57:41 AM EDT
Man, I wish my tiny little podunk college had more than one teacher option for Calc 1/2. Those grades dropped my GPA from a 3.94 to 3.6.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:58:37 AM EDT

; )

Analytic Geometry.

Ok.  You get a pass.  Are there any more required classes? Or is this it?  What is your major?

I miss advanced math and science.  Very clean and logical.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:03:15 AM EDT
Traditionally, the math professor says A, writes B on the board, used C in the handout, meant D and the correct answer is E. My Calc 3 professor told me that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:08:45 AM EDT
Fuck math
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:24:37 AM EDT
I can't tell you how relieved I am to read that you're not one of my students!

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:30:40 AM EDT

; )

Analytic Geometry.

Ok.  You get a pass.  Are there any more required classes? Or is this it?  What is your major?

I miss advanced math and science.  Very clean and logical.

No, this is going to be it, for now at least.

My reason for being in college is to get a degree because it is something that I left undone. I dropped out of college and wound up building a pretty successful career for myself in IT. Years later I saw this as a failure on my part and decided that I wanted to get a degree to have a piece of paper to add to my list of accomplishments in life. So, I started going back to school.

For a while I toyed with the idea of going for a Computer Science degree, and then thought about going to a degree in Aerospace engineering. I have since decided that while I could achieve either of these, I do not want to devout all of my free time over the next 8 years to mastering advanced math and science. I work full time, I already have substantial experience in my field, and I have remembered my motivation for starting down this path in the first place. So, I am now leaning towards some sort of LA degree. I figure that I may even be able to achieve my goal faster this way because if I am taking classes that I have more of an aptitude and a greater interest in, then I may be able to take more classes and therefore complete my degree more quickly.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:32:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By the_naked_prophet:

Why's that? Because I'm lazy and complain about having to actually do work and learn? I'll have you know that I've busted my ass in this class.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:44:19 PM EDT

Why's that? Because I'm lazy and complain about having to actually do work and learn? I'll have you know that I've busted my ass in this class.

No, because I have deep-seated feelings of inadequacy.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 5:26:11 PM EDT

No, because I have deep-seated feelings of inadequacy.

Well, I have a lot of pent up hostility.

Top Top