Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2002 7:55:29 PM EDT
My Great Uncle Robert was born in 1895 and originally from Ontario, and moved out to Saskatchewan early in the 20th century with his family.

They homsteaded in the Quill Lake region of Saskatchewan. He farmed, and was active in the community, enjoying baseball and other social events. He was well liked by all who knew him.

He inlisted in the 214th Battalion 'Wadena Widcats' Canadian Expeditionary Force, at Wadena, Saskatchewan in Jan 1916, and after completing his training in Manitoba, near Camp Shilo, found himself reinforcing the 28th North West Battalion (from Regina Saskatchewan)on the Western Front in Jul 1917.

On 06 Nov 1917, the 28th Bn sometime after dawn, was advancing to the village of Passchendaele. Robert was struck down by enemy shrapnel in both legs and left arm.

After spending much time being evacuated from the front due to the mud and constant MG and artillery fire, he found himself at a Casualty Clearing Station near Rouen, France.

He had emergency amputations of both legs and left arm, and after given much morhpia succumbed to his wounds the next day.

When he was leaving 'the line' he said to his mates "well it looks like I'm going home boys, you can have your bloody war". He was quite concious and aware of his surroundings during his evacuation, and kept his sense of humour.

It also should be noted that Robert's unit, the 28th, took their objective by 0900 that day, and held it until they were relieved.

He was just 21 and never married. He became one of the more than 60,000 Canadians who lost their lives during WW1.

He is buried neat Popringhe in a CWGC Cemetery.

His loss enspired me to join the Army at 17, and I am still serving proudly, far far from Dear Ole Canada.

1feral1
Sydney
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I am sure that, whevever he may be, he looks down upon you with pride.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 1:17:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the nice words.

Regards,

1feral1
Sydney
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a book called "they called it Passchendael". It is a very graphic and full description of this battle.
I first heard about it here on this board and have been trying to find it since. I have been able to find reviews and such but never the book as it has been out of print for a long time. You may want to find it also. I am still looking and if i find it I will post it here...pat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top