Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:27:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:38:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@Bohr_Adam
This is true, but have you ever seen a climate like the one we're in now? I've been around a little while and I've never been more afraid of the future of this country than now, ever. The vast majority of that is from our .gov incompetence and corruption of our "leaders".

Would you encourage the younger generation/ your child to serve something under the control of the current political and bureaucratic incompetence and corruption?

This is a good conversation we have going in this thread, really.

View Quote

If you are more afraid of the future of our country than ever before, instead of running and hiding, why not sign up (or encourage good people to) and do something about it.

The US is the greatest country in the history of the world, despite her flaws, and despite our current political fuckery. Some things are still worth fighting for.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:40:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree with you.

Not really because I wouldn't want them to serve the country because 50% are idiots, but because it probably isn't a good choice these days with woke BS, vaccine mandates, and the very real possibility they will be used on their own people in the future.

The mandates alone are plenty enough reason to avoid it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:42:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Same, even though the amount of grabassery and tomfoolery has declined we have it sooo much better than when I first came in
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Over the course of your career I'm willing to bet in the last decade you've seen a severe shift/change from the way things were to the way they are now, have you not?

I can take a (probably unpopular) stab at that.  Most of the major shifts I've seen in the last 18 years have been good.

Same, even though the amount of grabassery and tomfoolery has declined we have it sooo much better than when I first came in

Could you expound on that ? I'm genuinely curious. I have heard from some the woke BS is overstated and not as big of a deal as one might think. The vaccine mandates though is a hard pass from me, I would discourage my kids for that reason alone.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:44:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If the right surrenders their last bastion of power, the military, they have everything they need to make an attempt to consolidate power.  The left likely already owns the leadership of .mil and they are doing what they can to discourage new right wing recruits, and to root out existing undesirables.

People on the right need to go into the belly of the beasts and quietly work their way into positions of power and fight and resist from the inside.  A good patriot on the inside is worth a hundred on the outside.
View Quote

That is a real valid concern.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:45:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:52:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@Bohr_Adam
This is true, but have you ever seen a climate like the one we're in now? I've been around a little while and I've never been more afraid of the future of this country than now, ever. The vast majority of that is from our .gov incompetence and corruption of our "leaders".

Would you encourage the younger generation/ your child to serve something under the control of the current political and bureaucratic incompetence and corruption?

View Quote

Laughs as one who served in Navy in mid 90s down grade... Guys with 18yrs in got walking papers and possibly a handshake...
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:57:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nobody gives a shit about you or your kids
View Quote

You do,  you read and responded to his thread..  maybe don’t be rude?
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:59:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you are more afraid of the future of our country than ever before, instead of running and hiding, why not sign up (or encourage good people to) and do something about it.

The US is the greatest country in the history of the world, despite her flaws, and despite our current political fuckery. Some things are still worth fighting for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Bohr_Adam

@Low_Country

I agree with you 100% and I have served my communities I've lived with for nearly 30 years now in 1 way or another. Just because someone doesn't have their pieces of flair shown doesn't mean that they're not there.

Having done what I've done doesn't make me any more special than anyone else, just as those in the .mil aren't. I know the risks of what I do and accept them. I signed up for that. That doesn't make me special, nor does it make you special.

Would I encourage anyone to join the field I'm in? No, I wouldn't. It's being overrun with all the negative things already posted in this thread which has been a lot of trickle down from the federal level. However I would encourage someone with their mind set on public service (.mil/LE/FIRE/EMS) to stay local and help their community rather than go .gov/mil

The environment I started my career in is vastly different than what there is presently and not trending in a positive way at all.

ETA: In my experience the higher up the food chain that goes the more incompetence you'll find.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:00:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Bohr_Adam

I enlisted in '08 because the Republic was at war. A member of my family has fought in every major conflict this nation has had since prior to its inception (French and Indian War was the first). I was taught that the idea of this nation was more important than myself, because without America, I wouldn't exist. I wouldn't have the life I've been gifted, and an incredibly comfortable one at that.

To hear some say that they were unwilling to sign on the dotted line, even just to pump gas or work in finance, at a time when you had the greatest logistical support mechanisms in place in the entire history of warfare....Color me skeptical that they'd be willing to winter at Valley Forge. Let me doubt their ability to up-armor the Taco, or the Bronco, and ride off to preserve our nation.

It all just sounds like excuses to not have to sacrifice anything.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Could you expound on that ? I'm genuinely curious. I have heard from some the woke BS is overstated and not as big of a deal as one might think.
View Quote

Define woke BS.  Are we talking drag queen story time, or are talking don't rape people training.  Big difference.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:24:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Serving in the military is a personal choice. I joined at 18 and never looked back. Did a career and retired. My son followed in my footsteps.

Back then gay soldiers were quietly tolerated. They did their jobs and flew under the radar. Nobody fucked with them.

Now it's a full blown gay/transgender military that celebrates "pride month" every day.  

I don't know that I would encourage my kids in this day and age to join the military but I wouldn't try to stop them if they did.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:27:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I did not serve in the military.  I always told myself that when I had children, I would present military service as a realistic option after high school, as opposed to only college, as my parents did.

Now my children are entering middle school.  Sad to say, but I have to go back on that earlier conviction.  I would never encourage my own to enter the military for this country.  I won't tell them they can't, which would be silly, but I will definitely suggest every other option first.  The US is absolutely a house divided, and I'd hate the thought of them serving half a population that despises them.

I can't be the only one here that has come to a similar decision.
View Quote

thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:32:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

@Low_Country

I agree with you 100% and I have served my communities I've lived with for nearly 30 years now in 1 way or another. Just because someone doesn't have their pieces of flair shown doesn't mean that they're not there.

Having done what I've done doesn't make me any more special than anyone else, just as those in the .mil aren't. I know the risks of what I do and accept them. I signed up for that. That doesn't make me special, nor does it make you special.

Would I encourage anyone to join the field I'm in? No, I wouldn't. It's being overrun with all the negative things already posted in this thread which has been a lot of trickle down from the federal level. However I would encourage someone with their mind set on public service (.mil/LE/FIRE/EMS) to stay local and help their community rather than go .gov/mil

The environment I started my career in is vastly different than what there is presently and not trending in a positive way at all.

ETA: In my experience the higher up the food chain that goes the more incompetence you'll find.
View Quote

I’m now serving under my 4th president. Things today are either unnoticeably changed, or changed for the better, from the early 2000s.  Forgive me, it just rubs me the wrong way when people want to blame their non-service on some woke/progressive culture infesting the military. It’s a convenient excuse, based in rage-bait, and it’s not reality.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:34:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

thank you for your service.
View Quote

Military service isn't required to have an opinion.

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:35:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I’m now serving under my 4th president. Things today are either unnoticeably changed, or changed for the better, from the early 2000s.  Forgive me, it just rubs me the wrong way when people want to blame their non-service on some woke/progressive culture infesting the military. It’s a convenient excuse, based in rage-bait, and it’s not reality.
View Quote

Doesn't matter. His excuse doesn't need your approval.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:39:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Don't worry Pops, somebody will stand that post on the wall so you can sleep like a bug in a rug.
View Quote
What safety?

We watched cops beat down parents trying to save their own kids.

We watched rioters burn loot and murder with impunity...and the government only got involved when people defended themselves.

We are watching our government trying to criminalize speech they disagree with.

We are watching our government seriously talk about abolishing the Supreme Court and doing away with Electoral college in order to further cement the DNC into a position where they can essentially turn America into a single party state.

We are watching our government laugh at our suffering, telling us to eat a TESLA if we can't afford $10gas.

You claim the US military fights for our freedom? Really? I can't remember a time when a Russian threatened to take our guns away or our free speech.

Perhaps if someday the Military breaks off and rebels against this creeping tyranny...then I will say they are defending our freedoms.

I don't blame the lower ranked troops. I think most of them are great Americans. It's the leaders they serve under that have undermined what they should stand for... Lions Led by Hyenas.

Ever notice almost there are ZERO Generals on our side? Even Mattis turned out to be a neolib prick who even fell for that stupid Theranos shit.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:40:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because they've purged all the good people from higher ranks. They pulled up the ladder behind themselves and now only promote people into the upper ranks if you're down with their bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:45:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Overall confidence in U.S. government institutions is also decreasing, and that has hit the U.S. military as well. In 2021 the annual Reagan National Defense Survey, conducted by the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Institute, found that just 45% of Americans had a great deal of trust and confidence in the military, down 25 points since 2018.
View Quote

Link

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:49:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't worry Pops, somebody will stand that post on the wall so you can sleep like a bug in a rug.
View Quote

You can’t handle the truth.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:51:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Every generation in my family served going back to WWII. I will be the last.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:53:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Fair-weather patriotism is much easier though.
View Quote
Would you have fought in the USSR's Red Army?
(Assuming you had the choice)
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:54:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the right surrenders their last bastion of power, the military, they have everything they need to make an attempt to consolidate power.  The left likely already owns the leadership of .mil and they are doing what they can to discourage new right wing recruits, and to root out existing undesirables.

People on the right need to go into the belly of the beasts and quietly work their way into positions of power and fight and resist from the inside.  A good patriot on the inside is worth a hundred on the outside.

Nope, just makes everything that much more black and white.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:56:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You can't handle the truth.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:03:14 AM EDT
[#25]
When will conservatives stop retreating from all our institutions and gov't

'The left took it over!' Yeah no duh, you self eliminated yourself/your influence and gave up without a fight.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:03:26 AM EDT
[#26]
People think this thread is about whether people should serve or not...and some mil people talking shit to people who never served.

What do you say to people in this thread who did serve, and agree they wouldn't serve given the direction of our country?

If I was living in the USSR... I sure as hell would tell my kid to not join the Red Army.

I think by the time my son is old enough to serve....America will make the USSR look like a libertarian paradise.

The real underlying debate here isn't about bashing the military. It's about whether you're black pilled or white pilled about the future of this country.

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:09:38 AM EDT
[#27]
In two years, we've seen radical change in America. I can't imagine what new horrors we'll face in 18 years.

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:11:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
People think this thread is about whether people should serve or not...and some mil people talking shit to people who never served.

What do you say to people in this thread who did serve, and agree they wouldn't serve given the direction of our country?

If I was living in the USSR... I sure as hell would tell my kid to not join the Red Army.

I think by the time my son is old enough to serve....America will make the USSR look like a libertarian paradise.

The real underlying debate here isn't about bashing the military. It's about whether you're black pilled or white pilled about the future of this country.

View Quote

Plenty of legit reasons not to serve, and plenty of legit service outside the military.

But if you love America, yet wish to abandon one of its most respected and conservative institutions to the left over your perception of politics (and worse, encourage others to do the same), it’s not going to go unchallenged by me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:22:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Plenty of legit reasons not to serve, and plenty of legit service outside the military.

But if you love America, yet wish to abandon one of its most respected and conservative institutions to the left over your perception of politics (and worse, encourage others to do the same), it's not going to go unchallenged by me.
View Quote
The upper echelons are all neolib subhumans. Am I not wrong? Even Mattis turned out to be a total fucking disappointment.

I can't tell you how many articles I've read that start with "I served in the US Military... and I think No one should be allowed to ow AR15s!"

I've read that shit so many times... I've lost faith that we hold on to ANY institutions anymore. All of them are lost to the neolibs...

I think the only thing left, is a (mostly) peaceful divorce. I'm sorry to day, I have zero faith that the US military won't be used to punish states that choose to divorce.

You claim that the Mil has gotten better, but you're mostly talking about hazing and bullying and issues of professionallism...nothing to say about the indoctrination.

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:29:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
100% agree. No fucking way my kids will serve these douchbag globalists. A quarter of the country is insane and many of them are in political positions.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:30:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The upper echelons are all neolib subhuman. Am I not wrong? Even Mattis turned out to be a total fucking disappointment.

I can't tell you how many articles I've read that start with "I served in the US Military... and I think No one should be allowed to ow AR15s!"

I've read that shit so many times... I've lost faith that we hold on to ANY institutions anymore. All of them are lost.

I think the only thing left, is a (mostly) peaceful divorce. I'm sorry to day, I have zero faith that the US military won't be used to punish states that choose to divorce.
View Quote

There are like a million and a half Americans on active duty. I’d assume another million or two in the guard/reserve. How many have you heard saying “I served in the US Military... and I think No one should be allowed to ow AR15s!"?  Two? Three?

Yes, politics permeates upper echelons of the military. It permeates lower levels too, just like every other institution in America ever, private and public. But it’s not left vs. right politics, it is ass-kissing politics motivated by careerism and self-promotion and self-preservation. There isn’t some Marxist communist takeover of the DoD. People just want to keep moving up.

Best I can tell, everybody in this thread still on active duty really doesn’t have much bad to say about it, and is trying the squelch the concerns of the rage-bait crowd. Everybody else is either on the outside looking in, or their time in service has long passed.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 3:21:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

But if you love America, yet wish to abandon one of its most respected and conservative institutions to the left over your perception of politics (and worse, encourage others to do the same), it’s not going to go unchallenged by me.
View Quote

If you are not making or influencing policy participating in an organization does nothing to take it from the left.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 3:30:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Don’t blame you.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:53:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If you are not making or influencing policy participating in an organization does nothing to take it from the left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  The military is only following societal trends anyway.

Assholes like Milley would happily persecute gay people if June was Bash a Gay month.

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:57:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Just encourage them to, be all that they can be.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:05:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I put in my time back in the day but no way I’d do it in this political climate with this POS as CIC.
View Quote

@AltControlDelete

I hate to break it to you, but EVERY aspect of society is now woke, except for maybe the trades, though I’m sure it’s crept into there as well.  College would be even worse in terms of wokeness compared to the U.S. military.  

I’ll let my kids decide what they want to do.

My parents grew up in communist Hungary so they did not have a favorable view of military service.  My dad did serve his compulsory military service there but only because if he hadn’t, then he would not be able to visit Hungary after escaping to the West with my mother.  When I wanted to join the Canadian military, they made fun of me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:05:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Good on you, OP. Wouldn’t want my kids joining so that they can help America export gay buttsex and drag queen story hour either.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:12:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Serving in the military is not necessarily a bad thing even in modern day. Additionally, not serving in the military doesn't relegate one to some lower status.

State of mind and one's moral compass are paramount in both things.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:14:03 AM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:14:38 AM EDT
[#40]
there will be a reckoning for the military that wont be realized until the next "big" war.  
that being that they need to concentrate on making warriors.  not woke, sissies
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:30:01 AM EDT
[#41]
OP, how do you expect to solve any of our nations problems or restore our military to any sort of common sense if we keep telling conservatives to avoid it? I just hit eleven years in the army, and I see it as an opportunity to 'be the change.' I have no delusions that I'll change the world, or even reach a rank high enough to impact the army, but I can be an influence of reason and truth to all of those around me, and maybe even change a few minds in the process. If anyone ever gives the military an order to act against you, who would you rather receive the order - me or your kids, or some purple haired wacko who already hates you because of who you are?
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:30:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I did not serve in the military.  I always told myself that when I had children, I would present military service as a realistic option after high school, as opposed to only college, as my parents did.

Now my children are entering middle school.  Sad to say, but I have to go back on that earlier conviction.  I would never encourage my own to enter the military for this country.  I won't tell them they can't, which would be silly, but I will definitely suggest every other option first.  The US is absolutely a house divided, and I'd hate the thought of them serving half a population that despises them.

I can't be the only one here that has come to a similar decision.
View Quote

My Dad raised me to not be a pussy…
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:32:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your ability to make convenient excuses, is noted.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Where do we find such men.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would not let my kids be cannon fodder for this group of corrupt hacks, Im sorry. I have always been a flag waver, im not anymore. The left has hollowed out this country and its supporters are not worth a single drop of my childrens blood. We are Rome in 300-400 AD . Sad to say

Where do we find such men.

How did that Afghanistan withdrawal go? Happy w the performance of the leaders? Wish your kids life was in their hands? This is how they did with 20 years of planning. A complete shit show.  My kids lifes are precious and i wont encourage them to throw it away for callous incompetent bunglers…
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:35:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Good on you, OP. Wouldn’t want my kids joining so that they can help America export gay buttsex and drag queen story hour either.
View Quote

Bone spurs.

Noted.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:36:27 AM EDT
[#46]
The vast majority of the military is not direct action combat arms jobs. WWIII isn’t happening between nuclear armed peers/near peers. The US military offers what amounts to a full ride scholarship to college or trade school with 4 years active or 4 years reserve component service. Seems like a real good deal to me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:36:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The upper echelons are all neolib subhumans. Am I not wrong? Even Mattis turned out to be a total fucking disappointment.

I've read that shit so many times... I've lost faith that we hold on to ANY institutions anymore. All of them are lost to the neolibs...

You claim that the Mil has gotten better, but you're mostly talking about hazing and bullying and issues of professionallism...nothing to say about the indoctrination.

View Quote

You are wrong on your first statement.

And your small subset of mil authors writing on that topic aren’t the vast majority.

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:38:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

And yes, please enlighten me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:41:37 AM EDT
[#50]
I don’t think I could stand quite as tall in life had I skipped out on the Army. My instinct now is to say no fucking way…but I think I’d regret it regardless of how fucked up everything is.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top