Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/13/2021 2:49:23 PM EDT
During the factory seconds sale, I bought a Manix II and a couple of PM's.  No issues with the PM's, but I understand why the Manix II was a reject.  It seems to have an imperfection (smudge seen at the top/spine of the blade) in the metallurgy/composition that causes it to bleed black into food when using it for prep.  Now I love the knife and use it daily.  However, I'm starting to wonder if I should stop using it for food prep due to potential harm.  I can wash it real good and it'll all but disappear from what you see here. But it still comes right back with use.  Anyone experience this before or know what this is?  

Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Maxamet?

It's fine BTW.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Use a chefs knife for food prep
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maxamet?

It's fine BTW.
View Quote

CPM S30V

So it's fine?  What is "it"?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Use a chefs knife for food prep
View Quote

See my thread on which chefs knife to buy under $100-$200.  Came close but haven't pulled the trigger.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Use an actual kitchen knife. Stop using your pocket knife.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Solution: don't use a folding pocket knife for food prep at home.

"I use a Glock 34 barrel as a straw and it makes my shirley temple taste funny."
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Satanic Spyderco.  Oooohhh.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
During the factory seconds sale, I bought a Manix II and a couple of PM's.  No issues with the PM's, but I understand why the Manix II was a reject.  It seems to have an imperfection (smudge seen at the top/spine of the blade) in the metallurgy/composition that causes it to bleed black into food when using it for prep.  Now I love the knife and use it daily.  However, I'm starting to wonder if I should stop using it for food prep due to potential harm.  I can wash it real good and it'll all but disappear from what you see here. But it still comes right back with use.  Anyone experience this before or know what this is?  

Thanks!

https://i.imgur.com/jLNBBpO.jpg
View Quote
Why are you tards using tactical knives to do food prep?

I see this here all the time and it is the most mouthbreathing thing I have ever witnessed.

Its a shit choice for cutlery and unless youre trying to look cool to your plate of kale its pointless and everyone laughs at you.

Well, anyone with any intelligence that is.

Just stop, your not practicing bushcraft in your kitchen.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

"I use a Glock 34 barrel as a straw and it makes my shirley temple taste funny."
View Quote
Yep, thats about the size of it.

Dear arf, Im spreading cheese on my saltines with my Buck 184 Buckmaster and it gets cheese stuck to the blade and stains my collectible knife.

Any way to prevent this?

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you being attacked by your vegetables?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I see this here all the time and it is the most mouthbreathing thing I have ever witnessed.

Its a shit choice for cutlery and unless youre trying to look cool to your plate of kale its pointless and everyone laughs at you.

View Quote

I've been using pocket knives for food prep since I was in the scouts.  It works well enough for small tasks/snacks/etc.  What's the harm in it?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've been using pocket knives for food prep since I was in the scouts.  It works well enough for small tasks/snacks/etc.  What's the harm in it?
View Quote
Im going to ask a simple question and type slowly so you can understand.

Are you out in the bush?

If not what youre doing is infantile and pointless.

I mean, you are here worried about your knife or food or some shit being stained, correct?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Are you out in the bush?

View Quote

In the bush?  Not currently, and she shaves anyway.

Do you know what the black/smudge is?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you clean your knife prior to prepping food?  What about all the other non edible shit you run your utility knife through?  Nevermind you just said the coating is bleeding into your good.  

Prepping food in the scouts while camping is one thing.  Using a pocket knife in the kitchen is pants on head retarded.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Are you out in the bush?

I mean, you are here worried about your knife or food or some shit being stained, correct?
View Quote

Many so called "knife guys" will only use their knives to open boxes which contain new knives, and food. Anything else they'll grab a box cutter for, because they don't want to hurt their pocket jewelry.

Asbestos suit is on.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#17]
PM3 in Max factory 2nd.

Used in the kitchen all the time.

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Lol. So we can't use a pocket knife to trim a shoulder before throwing it in the smoker? What if I do it in a tactical fashion, with my tactical folder?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

In the bush?  Not currently, and she shaves anyway.

View Quote
Its you knifes way of crying over your lack of intelligence.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I used to do a lot of things when I was a child that I no longer do.

Using your pocket knife in the kitchen is retarded. There are better tools for the job.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lol. So we can't use a pocket knife to trim a shoulder before throwing it in the smoker? What if I do it in a tactical fashion, with my tactical folder?
View Quote
You can be as gay as the guy in your avatar for all I care, just dont be surprised when someone points it out.

Unless your wearing ninja pajamas and have a sword in your belt, cause that would be cool.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you haven't a clue as to the original question but your spouting off about how I cut the cheese...seems like you might be lacking in the intelligence dept.   We're talking about a pocket knife here.  No need to pop a blood vessel.

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I personally wouldn’t worry about it.

If it concerns you, use a different knife?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Caused by an onion or a mango - something like that.  Don't worry, a natural patina just gives the knife a honest, used appearance.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

sums it up pretty nicely.

dear GD, i keep using my lawnmower blade to cut onions for cooking. its hard to do, the blade is too big and it tastes funny. why is that?

dear GD, i keep smashing these deck screws with this sledge hammer. i can't understand why they aren't holding things together like i thought they would. whats up?

use tools for what the tools are designed for. your pocket knife is not meant to cut acidic, corrosive, or even salty foods daily with no care, and it's not mean to go in the dishwasher.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#26]
It's broken OP, send it to me for disposal!
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You can be as gay as the guy in your avatar for all I care, just dont be surprised when someone points it out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting emotionally invested in what knife a guy uses in the kitchen... Well you ain't that straight are you?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I used to do a lot of things when I was a child that I no longer do.

Using your pocket knife in the kitchen is retarded. There are better tools for the job.
View Quote

Sure there's better tools for the job.  But if a given tool works just fine...why go out of your way to get the perfect tool?  

I've got a letter opener....does that mean I should walk three rooms over to grab it instead of using my pocket knife?  I've got a box cutter....should that be the only knife I use to open boxes?  And where does it stop...only a cheese knife to cut cheese and a butter knife to spread butter and so on??

When did the knife Nazi become a thing??!
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Whatever food you're cutting is probably oxidizing/staining the blade. It's just cosmetic.

Why you would use a tiny knife for food prep is beyond me though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you haven't a clue as to the original question but your spouting off about how I cut the cheese...seems like you might be lacking in the intelligence dept.   We're talking about a pocket knife here.  No need to pop a blood vessel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you sad now that your humblebrag has taken a turn?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

How the fuck else are you suppose to operate operationally.

Now, I'm off to order a tactical apron so I won't get my plate carrier dirty when I cook.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's broken OP, send it to me for disposal!
View Quote

Negatory!! I do still love this knife.  Was just curious what the coloring was.  

Thanks though!
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Assuming it turns black on an otherwise white metal surface, it’s likely that acids in the food are causing localized oxidation of un-passivated metal.

The chrome in stainless steels oxidizes in air, creating a passivating layer on the surface. If you have a local area in the blade that’s short on chrome, it’s no longer stainless there.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Getting emotionally invested in what knife a guy uses in the kitchen... Well you ain't that straight are you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pointing out someone's stupidity is emotional?

Projection, look it up.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sure there's better tools for the job.  But if a given tool works just fine...why go out of your way to get the perfect tool?  

I've got a letter opener....does that mean I should walk three rooms over to grab it instead of using my pocket knife?  I've got a box cutter....should that be the only knife I use to open boxes?  And where does it stop...only a cheese knife to cut cheese and a butter knife to spread butter and so on??

When did the knife Nazi become a thing??!
View Quote

Did you happen to find cheese on the roof while replacing a shingle?

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Are you sad now that your humblebrag has taken a turn?
View Quote

Humblebrag??  Holy crap, take your meds!
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your house, your rules. Love my Manix2.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Whatever food you're cutting is probably oxidizing/staining the blade. It's just cosmetic.

Why you would use a tiny knife for food prep is beyond me though.
View Quote
Because it was near where he mines his cheese.

He was a boyscout dammit!
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I use a cut off wheel to carve hams and it leaves particulate in my meat. Should I not be doing that?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Assuming it turns black on an otherwise white metal surface, it's likely that acids in the food are causing localized oxidation of un-passivated metal.

The chrome in stainless steels oxidizes in air, creating a passivating layer on the surface. If you have a local area in the blade that's short on chrome, it's no longer stainless there.
View Quote
Not till page two.

We have rules here.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Assuming it turns black on an otherwise white metal surface, it’s likely that acids in the food are causing localized oxidation of un-passivated metal.

The chrome in stainless steels oxidizes in air, creating a passivating layer on the surface. If you have a local area in the blade that’s short on chrome, it’s no longer stainless there.
View Quote

That makes sense.  Now is what it gives off (blackness) harmful to consume and similar to a rust or is it mostly the acids from food just discolored?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Humblebrag??  Holy crap, take your meds!
View Quote
If I took my meds this wouldnt be half as fun!
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Did you happen to find cheese on the roof while replacing a shingle?

View Quote

You've lost it.  Seek help.

I see you're in PA.  If you're close enough I'll give you a few sessions for free.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#45]
I used my spyderco folders as my lunch box knife, because I could fold it and put it in my lunch box.

I used one at home for my daily salad making because it was the sharpest and best size for what I needed, and I could fold it and put it in the drawer.

Now I use a small spyderco kitchen paring knife for that, I forget the model at the moment. I have a larger spyderco kitchen knife, the yin or yang, I have them both, I use the non serrated one the most. I wish they still made it.

I've used several types of spydie steel in food prep, I've never gotten black deposits on food though. I clean and dry all of my nice knives after each use.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Projection, look it up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Projection, look it up.

You're the one that brought up the gay stuff chief.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That makes sense.  Now is what it gives off (blackness) harmful to consume and similar to a rust or is it mostly the acids from food just discolored?

Thanks!
View Quote
Its probably hopefully poisonous.

Then again if its a spyderco it might be venomous.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Probably the unknown black stuff all over your food.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Projection, look it up.

Ooooh, tharry if I thruk a nerve.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Depends on what you lube it with. If you know you're cutting food with it, use a food safe oil obviously. If this particular knife is leaving oxidized metal in your food, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's probably not a great idea to eat it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top