Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 10/25/2017 10:54:35 PM EDT
My 21 year old niece is wanting to volunteer to work at a game reserve in South Africa, she is in her 3rd year of college and its related to that, and I am really trying to discourage her from going.

I have made a point to tell her its is not safe for a 21 year old very attractive woman to go to South Africa alone and I am not being taken seriously because I think because that I have never been there.

I have responses like this to my comments on FB "She’s going to help. I think she’ll be fine. Everywhere has crime. "  

So if anyone that has been there or know anyone that has been there in the last few years please describe what it actually is like, not like the government of South Africa sugar coats it on travel websites, i'm looking for real world information.

EDIT: Well thanks for the info from the ones that have been and or lived there, from both sides.

Unfortunately I have been basically told to shut up about it and to delete the posts on facebook about what I think are dangers and not to go there without being sure she was well aware of the potential dangers.

All I wanted her to do is not blindly go into something that could possibly be dangerous and to research it with an open mind, but her mother is of the thinking that if there are no current travel warnings from the US Dept of State her daughter will be fine.

I told her in South Africa that their normal every day would be a  travel warning in almost every other country.

So I logged offline for a couple of days to cool dawn a little since my concern about her safety was brushed aside made me pissed off at my sister.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Long sleeve or short sleeve?
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would anybody think that's a good idea
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Very pretty American white girls really shouldn't be going to places like that unless they like the risk being snatched up.
That said the same can happen here but I think your odds are higher over there

eta just reread your post. shes wanting to go alone? Gezzus. Is she crazy?!?
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I predict a future thread that will not end well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_South_Africa

Rape is kinda popular there.
View Quote
So is the AIDS.  Bad combo.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Please encourage her to get some self defense training.  Real world.  Krav Maga or similar.

Otherwise, really, she gonna do what she gonna do.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#8]
This is an FN-FAL GoFundMe thread, isn't it?

Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:01:14 PM EDT
[#9]
heard bad things, went to school with a guy from there and he did not want to move back.

here are some numbers, not sure if down played or not. not familiar with this site. south africa

don't have them handy but there are some videos of attacks in south africa.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Aren't they killing whiteys for sport over there now?
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:02:38 PM EDT
[#11]
So she is hot, stupid, and likes animals.... what's her number?
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:02:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Hell no.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I haven't been, but my PA is from there.  She is back visiting family now.  I'll ask when she gets back in a week.  

At 21, I'd encourage it, unless it was an outright war zone (and sometimes even then).  You only live once and that is what you are supposed to do at that age, before kids and actual responsibilities.  I did something similar when I was 21, meaning moved to a third world country, and enjoyed every moment of it.  It was one of the best things I've ever done.  Granted, I'm not an attractive female, but there were plenty of them there that had done the same thing, and they were fine.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Out in the middle of nowhere it’s probabky fine. Namibia is a better choice. She should go.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Please encourage her to get some self defense training.  Real world.  Krav Maga or similar.

Best of luck.
View Quote
Unless she's got at least a couple of years to prepare and train, that shit won't do a damn thing for her.  Even if she did train for a couple of years, that shit won't do a damn thing for her.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#16]
She is the stereotypical young American who has led a pretty sheltered life and does not have a clue that not everyplace is like home.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Ever seen Royal Tenenbaums$

Let her live a little.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Out in the middle of nowhere it’s probabky fine. Namibia is a better choice. She should go.
View Quote
Lol. 'Cause the poachers are nice people.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#19]
If she stays in the back country except to go to the airport, she'll be fine. Probably be a great time, South Africa is amazing.

If she wants to go into town and party, then she's going to have a bad time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#20]
This is kayaking down the amazon alone part II
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:06:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This is kayaking down the amazon alone part II
View Quote

You know that's in South America, right?
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:06:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Encourage her to live her own life and take risk while she's young.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Aside from it being a terrible idea from a safety standpoint, I assume she wants to go work there from a more liberal, save the animals type POV.

Show her how big game hunters do more for the preservation of those animals lives, and she doesn't need to stupidly put herself at risk for her "feels".
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I went TDY to Cape Town  back in 97.  Hillary went down there and we supported the airflow. No rape that I’m aware of.  It was a while ago but I would go back. But I’m not an attractive 21 year old girl.

And I would have a hard time letting my three daughters go.  But than again I really don’t want them going anywhere.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:08:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why would anybody think that's a good idea
View Quote
Some people are idiots.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:08:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This is an FN-FAL GoFundMe thread, isn't it?

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Three years of college and still dumber then a box of rocks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:08:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Lol. 'Cause the poachers are nice people.
View Quote
You watch too much TV.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Accept the fact that your niece is going to die.  It's much easier after that. There is nothing you can do or say.  She knows everything.  She's going to save the world.

Then research who the SOB is behind sending these young ignorant girls to shithole third world countries.  

My niece made it back from whatever country she went to at that age, but I was more than ready to hunt down the fucker making $400k/year running the "charity" she paid to go save some crappy country.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:10:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My 21 year old niece is wanting to volunteer to work at a game reserve in South Africa, she is in her 3rd year of college and its related to that, and I am really trying to discourage her from going.

I have made a point to tell her its is not safe for a 21 year old very attractive woman to go to South Africa alone and I am not being taken seriously because I think because that I have never been there.

I have responses like this to my comments on FB "She’s going to help. I think she’ll be fine. Everywhere has crime. "  

So if anyone that has been there or know anyone that has been there in the last few years please describe what it actually is like, not like the government of South Africa sugar coats it on travel websites, i'm looking for real world information.
View Quote

Everything you need to know about South Africa.  Another liberal Communist success story.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Really? I guess AR15.com truly never leaves the basement...
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:12:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You watch too much TV.
View Quote
Lol. I actually think she'd be perfectly fine. I'm just joshin'.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I was there in February for 20 days.  I've been flying there a couple of times over the last year.

Honestly, I've felt less safe in many more places in the US.

South Africa is a pretty awesome place.  I'm hoping I get to relocate my family there for a year.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:13:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Accept the fact that your niece is going to die.  It's much easier after that. There is nothing you can do or say.  She knows everything.  She's going to save the world.

Then research who the SOB is behind sending these young ignorant girls to shithole third world countries.  

My niece made it back from whatever country she went to at that age, but I was more than ready to hunt down the fucker making $400k/year running the "charity" she paid to go save some crappy country.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Lol. I actually think she'd be perfectly fine. I'm just joshin'.
View Quote
Haha yeah Africa is awesome.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Unless she's got at least a couple of years to prepare and train, that shit won't do a damn thing for her.  Even if she did train for a couple of years, that shit won't do a damn thing for her.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best of luck.
I think you made my point.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:14:56 PM EDT
[#38]
South Africa is one of the only places where you can get rape insurance. Get that and emergency medical evac. insurance.

It could be a once in a life time experience but it pay to have some back up.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#39]
as fucked up as S.A. is, if she is out at a game preserve it will most likely be much better than the cities.

When she does gp to the cities she needs to go in a group and with a person/s that know the city and where to avoid.

The pictures I have seen of S.A. it looks amazingly beautiful.

Do some self defense training and go have fun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
as fucked up as S.A. is, if she is out at a game preserve it will most likely be much better than the cities.

When she does gp to the cities she needs to go in a group and with a person/s that know the city and where to avoid.

The pictures I have seen of S.A. it looks amazingly beautiful.

Do some self defense training and go have fun.
View Quote
It's way better than the cities. No one lives out there. It's vast emptiness.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
South Africa is one of the only places where you can get rape insurance. Get that and emergency medical evac. insurance.

View Quote
Is the payout different depending on what orifice they rape?
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:23:46 PM EDT
[#42]
A vendor to my employer emigrated from there, he has LOTS of bad stories.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They just use the time machine to unrape you
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:26:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Beautiful country.

Statistically, she will be fine unless she does something stupid; and the price for that would be very, very steep in SA.

I would have a very hard time letting my daughters go.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Need pics to decide
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:30:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Beautiful country.

Statistically, she will be fine unless she does something stupid; and the price for that would be very, very steep in SA.

View Quote
Holy shit

Here, let me help you

"The country has one of the highest rates of rape in the world, with some 65,000 rapes and other sexual assaults reported for the year ending in March 2012, or 127.6 per 100,000 people in the country.[14][15] The incidence of rape has led to the country being referred to as the "rape capital of the world".[16] One in three of the 4,000 women questioned by the Community of Information, Empowerment and Transparency said they had been raped in the past year.[17] More than 25% of South African men questioned in a survey published by the Medical Research Council (MRC) in June 2009 admitted to rape; of those, nearly half said they had raped more than one person."
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:30:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
So popular they had to come up with an anti-rape condom.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Holy shit

Here, let me help you

"The country has one of the highest rates of rape in the world, with some 65,000 rapes and other sexual assaults reported for the year ending in March 2012, or 127.6 per 100,000 people in the country.[14][15] The incidence of rape has led to the country being referred to as the "rape capital of the world".[16] One in three of the 4,000 women questioned by the Community of Information, Empowerment and Transparency said they had been raped in the past year.[17] More than 25% of South African men questioned in a survey published by the Medical Research Council (MRC) in June 2009 admitted to rape; of those, nearly half said they had raped more than one person."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beautiful country.

Holy shit

Here, let me help you

What's the rate in Tarkastad?
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since HIV rates are up to 90% and medical care is "lacking" in much of the country, getting proper medical care post incident is a really big deal.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
or this

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top