Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/9/2005 10:09:05 AM EDT
I am ticked off and need to vent some. I know what most of you will say but I just am steamed right now.

As some of you know I run for a RV transport company. I just finished a run to Crossville, TN to a dealer (name withheld). Background on the trailer is a 19' Wildwood travel trailer. The dealer paid $11,200 for the trailer from the factory. Pretty nice set up. The trailer would sell for about $16,500 from the dealer. No problem for me.

Now, I get to the dealer and the manager comes out and checks in the unit while I wait. Pretty nice folks we shoot the shit and all. Then he tells me that this trailer is sold already. I thought cool now the buyers have a new toy. So I ask when are the buyers going to pick up the unit. He says the buyers are having it delivered to LA.! The buyers are FEMA and it is going to LA for housing. He said the FEMA is buying everything up in the area and they are making a killing off of FEMA. He also told me that FEMA is buying that trailer for $35,000!!!!
A freaking $16,000 trailer for $35,000!!! WTF! He said the owners are getting rich this month.  He said we can set any price we want with FEMA.

After I left I was pissed that this company will screw you and me out of our tax dollars so they can put it into their pockets. I can under stand making some money off a trailer but a $23,000 dollar profit?

Then he said that they are selling their Keystone Raptures that run about $32,000 for $50,000 to FEMA! This is just crazy!

Now I think this is piss poor of the dealer to do this with your and my tax money. I hope President Bush asks for even more money cause FEMA will need it due to not caring about how it spends it's share.

I deliver these units to the disaster area and FEMA only pays me $1.08 per mile. That is not enough for me to keep the truck on the road. But I do it for the people that need homes. Do I bitch? yes I do but do I tell FEMA I need $4.00 per mile to deliver the units? NO, why? cause I care about where your tax dollars go and I have a heart for the misplaced familys.

I know this is what to expect from our .gov but I had to vent.

I feel better...............for now
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Us taxpayers can expect a royal ass fucking!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#2]
FEMA is going to have some unconfortable questions to answer when this fiasco gets audited.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Your anger is understandable, but that is as predictable as sunrise with the federal government.  Think of that 200+ million spent to rent cruise ships that stand empty.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
FEMA is going to have some unconfortable questions to answer when this fiasco gets audited.

Sure.  People in gov't accountable....

Like Ted Kennedy was grilled about his swimming lesson he took that nice young lady on...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

so how does it feel to have to bend over and grab the ankles????
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:14:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Notify your local news stations NOW. (anonymously, don't want to lose your job)

Media LOVES shit like this.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
In chaos, there is profit.
In extreme chaos, there is extreme profit.

Yep and...

FEMA has a problem… they cannot win either way.

If they buy the trailers fast, which means huge extra expense… they are going to get hammered for wasting money.

If they take the time to negotiate reasonable prices, which means a lot more time… they are going to get hammered for being uncaring, mean. racist, ect.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

a big + 1  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Damn, I just recovered from last years prolapsed rectum.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yea good plan.

The whole fucking problem is the Media LOVES shit like this.

FEMA is now in a position political where they have to do shit like the because of the fucking media.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Only one thing to do, raise your prices.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:18:32 AM EDT
[#13]
And people are pissed because of the looters.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Durring the huricanes last year in Florida there  were reports of an RV salesmen making over $100,000 in commisions from FEMA. You would think FEMA would be able to buy direct from the factory , at least at dealer cost. But whatever its not there money.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Call Bill O'Reilly.........see if he will jump on them like he does the oil companies.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#16]
there is a large rv dealer here in my city and a smaller one as well.

in the local paper today there is a story that says 1,100 rv/camper/trailer units have been bought by fema but they won't say how much they paid.

the dealer has also donated a couple good size rv's and 25 generators as well as being a dropoff point for for donations.

supposed to be a couple big rigs full of donated goods going that way here soon.

link to story
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#17]
One of my customers over in Shreveport said that FEMA went to the huge RV dealership on I-20 and bought every vehicle they had.  I've driven by there many times and there is a minimum of 100 vehicles on the lot.  Haven't been over there since this happened so can't verify, but I have no reason to doubt it.

Spa King
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In chaos, there is profit.
In extreme chaos, there is extreme profit.

Yep and...

FEMA has a problem… they cannot win either way.

If they buy the trailers fast, which means huge extra expense… they are going to get hammered for wasting money.

If they take the time to negotiate reasonable prices, which means a lot more time… they are going to get hammered for being uncaring, mean. racist, ect.

What other extras are included in the price? Extra furnishings? Extended warranty? Parts?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#19]
This is no different than anything else. If gas gets scarce or there's a fear it will, the price goes way up. Consider how some gas stations in Georgia were charging $6 per gallon in the days following Hurricane Katrina's strike.

It's also no different than the cost of ammo going up as a particular brand becomes scarce.

Any time you have a great demand for something, the price goes up.

It's sleezy business practice but just a reality we must live with I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I have thought about calling the local news but that won't help much unless FOX gets wind of it.

The dealers are now our problem. Can you say TAX LOOTERS?

BTW. I just got a e-mail from our company stating that many dealers are offering our drivers ove $2.00 per mile to deliver their stock to the disaster areas and if we decide to work for the dealers for a month or so. The we are NOT to come back to work.

The RV companys are punching out FEMA trailers 30' to 32' with no slideouts about 4 per hour and are working around the clock. They are expecting to do about 100,000 units!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Shit , I'll sell them mine. I only want fare market valve. I'd be happy to get that, since I can't drive it anywhere. 9 miles per gal at $3.29 per.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea good plan.

The whole fucking problem is the Media LOVES shit like this.

FEMA is now in a position political where they have to do shit like the because of the fucking media.

No, the whole problem is the fucking Governor & Mayor didn't maintain order by having looters shot on sight up front.

Everything else is cleaning up the results of their blistering incompetence.

Nothing gives FEMA a license to loot the treasury.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#23]
I was a buyer for a very short time for a .gov agency.  The penny pinching cheap ass sons of bitches were beyond description.  It was a royal bitch to procure even the simplest of parts such as a few electronic components or nuts and bolts.

And then I hear about this fraud, waste, and abuse?  What the fuck?  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I just poped off a E-mail to Bill O'Reilly. I guess I will sit back and see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
And people are pissed because of the looters.

Looters come in many disguise's.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Is that not price gouging?  Or does that not apply when it is the U.S> Gov. spending our tax money?

$35,000 travel trailers, $2,000 debit cards, $200,000+ (supposedly) spent per evacuee so far, I better start working more overtime to pay for it all.

BTW, what will they do with the trailers if/when they're no longer in use?  I bet 90% of them will be uninhabitable inside a month.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#27]
haha, white collar "looting"

Everyone gets all upset, when they see the poor black people stealing beer and TVs... whereas the "decent" people are making a real killing. It's typical in this country, nothing you can do to change it, and I doubt the dealer will get in trouble for gouging FEMA... It's just business, much like car dealers can rip off fools for $10K over sticker price on PT cruisers when everyone wants a ugly car, haha
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Everyone gets all upset, when they see the poor black people stealing beer and TVs... whereas the "decent" people are making a real killing. It's typical in this country, nothing you can do to change it, and I doubt the dealer will get in trouble for gouging FEMA... It's just business, much like car dealers can rip off fools for $10K over sticker price on PT cruisers when everyone wants a ugly car, haha

That dealer might get a bit of a rude awakening when taxpayers go shopping for an RV and remember the guy who stuck it to the .gov (and their tax bill)

His tidy little profit may cost him in the long run.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That dealer might get a bit of a rude awakening when taxpayers go shopping for an RV and remember the guy who stuck it to the .gov (and their tax bill)

I will yell his company name  from a rooftop after this clears up some. I will hold back for now.
I also am on the hunt for others doing the same.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#30]
A "government employee" just left my store and told me the following tale:

There is a very large RV manufacturer here in East Texas that just had a job fair for evacuees.  They are hiring 400 employees to meet the demand for RV's by FEMA.  Not ONE SINGLE EVACUEE showed up looking for work.  They had a job fair at the local convention center (which has been commandered by .gov), NO EVACUEES showed up to look for a job there either.Spa King
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Who cares? They're just going to add it to the national debt anyway.

www.brillig.com/debt_clock/
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

There is a very large RV manufacturer here in East Texas that just had a job fair for evacuees.  They are hiring 400 employees to meet the demand for RV's by FEMA.  Not ONE SINGLE EVACUEE showed up looking for work.  They had a job fair at the local convention center (which has been commandered by .gov), NO EVACUEES showed up to look for a job there either.

Spa King

Are you in Nacogdoches?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

There is a very large RV manufacturer here in East Texas that just had a job fair for evacuees.  They are hiring 400 employees to meet the demand for RV's by FEMA.  Not ONE SINGLE EVACUEE showed up looking for work.  They had a job fair at the local convention center (which has been commandered by .gov), NO EVACUEES showed up to look for a job there either.

Spa King

Is this the LANDSTAR RV co. in FT Worth? If so when I go to pull some units out of there I will ask about a job.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ihope you don't really believe that would ever happen.  Besides, what will he care?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#35]

Supply and demand.

Save the emotional whining about "gouging" for
the libs. This is economics, pure and simple.

The real question is: is this dealer charging all
customers that rate. If not, then that practice,
while probably legal, is unethical.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Spa King

Are you in Nacogdoches?

Longview

Spa King
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Is this the LANDSTAR RV co. in FT Worth? If so when I go to pull some units out of there I will ask about a job.

Fleetwood in Longview

Spa King
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fleetwood in Longview

Spa King

OK, haven't been there yet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Supply and demand.

Save the emotional whining about "gouging" for
the libs. This is economics, pure and simple.

The real question is: is this dealer charging all
customers that rate. If not, then that practice,
while probably legal, is unethical.

He is not charging the same to customers. He said that the trailer would sell for about $16.500 But since FEMA is a good customer he is selling it for $35,000.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Damn thats f-ed up.

Some profits is good but thats crazy.  Sound like FEMA needs some new contracting officers. If they set this up under a GSA schedule they could really keep the cost down and prevent this carpet bagging.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
This is no different than anything else. If gas gets scarce or there's a fear it will, the price goes way up. Consider how some gas stations in Georgia were charging $6 per gallon in the days following Hurricane Katrina's strike.

It's also no different than the cost of ammo going up as a particular brand becomes scarce.

Any time you have a great demand for something, the price goes up.

It's sleezy business practice but just a reality we must live with I'm afraid.

It can be considered illegal praticularly if you do it to the .gov.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ihope you don't really believe that would ever happen.  Besides, what will he care?

Some parts of the country a person's deeds still tend to follow them around. Especially when someone is pickin' their collective pockets. All it takes is spreadin the word.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Same thing here too. The local RV dealership in my dinky little town just shipped his RV's to NO. It made the front page of the local rag as some noble cause. Sheesh.

Stop the world, I want to get off now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Same thing here too. The local RV dealership in my dinky little town just shipped his RV's to NO. It made the front page of the local rag as some noble cause. Sheesh.

Stop the world, I want to get off now.

If you would IM me the companys name. I am trying to get info on some of them. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#45]
I've got a 30 Travel trailer I'd like to get rid of, where do I sign up?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Stop and think here ofr a moment.

These RV dealers are going to lose thier entire stock. And from the sounds of it not be able to get more for many months as manuafctuerers will be building for FEMA.

In addition, they are selling to a customer that they will not see again for upgrades, service calls, etc.

These dealers will be out of business for months and must make enough now to carry them through.

In addition to that there is basic supply and demand. Guess what happens if 10000 all the sudden start buying one stock at the same time.... it goes up. Fema started buying all the RV's... and price went up.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#47]
So what happens to all these RV's later?  Do the newly homeless get to keep them?  Or do they have to be turned in?  What will FEMA do, say, about a year from now with a bunch of surplus RV's?  I wouldn't mind buying one cheap, even if it needs a little fixing up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Stop and think here ofr a moment.

These RV dealers are going to lose thier entire stock. And from the sounds of it not be able to get more for many months as manuafctuerers will be building for FEMA.

These dealers will be out of business for months and must make enough now to carry them through.

Well, not really. The factorys are still making RV for the dealers also for sales to customers. We have about 100+ units going to dealers per day still. These are not FEMA units. The dealers will still have a good stock to sell to you and me.

I just looked at our internet dispatch system and we have on our yard in Wakarusa, IN. around 80 trailer units to be picked up now and we still have untill 1am EST to bring in the days units from the factorys. I use to shuttle units from the factory to our lot and we did over a 100 units a day for customers and that didn't change when we had the FL .FEMA units going out. The shuttlers work from 7am till about 1am pulling in units to our lot. Right now some of the FEMA units are picked up at the factorys by us transporters cause space is limited at our yards.

It has not changed the regular orders as of yet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
So what happens to all these RV's later?  Do the newly homeless get to keep them?  Or do they have to be turned in?  What will FEMA do, say, about a year from now with a bunch of surplus RV's?  I wouldn't mind buying one cheap, even if it needs a little fixing up.

Most of them are still being used in FL for temp housing. I have seen one or two around here in KY sitting. I guess FEMA will sell them off later. Right now once they are parked on one can move the unit unless done so by a FEMA contractor. Many were lost in FL when Katrina hit cause the folks living in them could not move them out of harms way. Now they get new ones
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Your anger is understandable, but that is as predictable as sunrise with the federal government.  Think of that 200+ million spent to rent cruise ships that stand empty.  

I heard today that those cruise ships will be used to house relief workers, firemen, LEO', and others. Seems pretty steep to me, but I don't know the term of the lease. It may be for years.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top