Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 3:36:04 PM EDT
But damnit, its SOOOO tempting......
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#1]
why save money for retirement later when you can buy guns NOW?

haha.

Did you know on average Americans are much less prepared for retirment they were 20 years ago even though they make more? It's because with defined benefit plans, the companies would have to take all the risk and responsibility of working out people's retirements. With the advent of the 401(k), behavioral fiance studies have found that people are generally retarded when it comes to saving. No self control, no concept of the time-value of money. You get people popping the 401(k)s for house downpayments and sports cars.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
why save money for retirement later when you can buy guns NOW?

haha.

Did you know on average Americans are much less prepared for retirment they were 20 years ago even though they make more? It's because with defined benefit plans, the companies would have to take all the risk and responsibility of working out people's retirements. With the advent of the 401(k), behavioral fiance studies have found that people are generally retarded when it comes to saving. No self control, no concept of the time-value of money. You get people popping the 401(k)s for house downpayments and sports cars.

I'm at 7.6% YTD on my 401k, and in 5 years I've borrowed from it once. Paid for a car and ran out of funds when it came time to license. Rather then pay interest on sales tax I borrowed from it to cover the sales tax and licensing fees.

I wont be raiding it for guns unless they move to ban the .50, in which case I would pull out 1500 for a .50. Otherwise, whats in there stays.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Last summer I made around $3,500. I would have loved to blow it all on guns, but put it into a Roth IRA.

Doing the responsible thing sucks sometimes, but it's exactly that: responsible.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup, been there, done that. Not for firearms but for other things.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

thinking about the table of goodies on saturday?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had the one iRA for 20 years now. never borrowed against it. i understand sometimes it seems liek you *need* to, but you are only screwing yourself.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I say: buy them all now, they may be illegal or unavailable in the future.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I have raided the 401k once.
That was this fall to cover expences that insurance did not cover after we got hit buy a Tornado. FEMA said I make to much, the SBA loan Bs is just that BS. FEMA tells you that we will make your house "safe" but not return it to pre incident condition. No problem with that, I didn't ask for someone else to fix my home or pay for it. I just wanted a loan to cover the living expenses that you incounter after a disaster. And it was a Federal disaster area, I have talked to many people in my area who encountered the same things we did and all had the same answer, we raided the 401k.
For guns no damn way I have saving 15% for the last 6 years had now I have a nice nest egg.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

thus increasing the value.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Napoleon, is there a post you won't answer?  Damn man.  Every f*ckin post I look at has a comment from you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Napoleon, is there a post you won't answer?  Damn man.  Every f*ckin post I look at has a comment from you.

Where is my popcorn at...
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The dude is a tard.

I am mostly going to post at night to avoid him......lets see if he can go 24 hours.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Hmmm.  Borrow from your 401K to buy a full auto NFA type.  "investment" and fun all in one.  Don't forget to borrow a few grand extra in ammo.  

Also, I read about people using retirement funds to buy certain assets besides stock.  Does anybody know how I can go about doing that?   How can I use my IRA to buy land and/or NFA investments?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

i'll answer most of them.  sometimes (rarely) i even contribute to the discussion.  I urge everyone to heed the advice in my sig line though "Please disregard the previous message"

if i annoy you that much, ignore me.  i think i have proven myself to not be a troll, and very rarely get into some of the virulent personal attacks that go on here on a regular basis
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Specop, I apologize for pulling your post OT.  Napoleon, I won't discuss it further.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where is my popcorn at...

Here ya go shooter...

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Just think of it like this: By the time you are of retirement age the amount of your nest egg will be rendered ineffective by the high cost of living.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Why save money for retirement when TEOTWAWKI is right around the corner?  Buy guns now, claim your kingdom tomorrow!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:50:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thinking about the table of goodies on saturday?

Gee,... you noticed them too???
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:54:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thus increasing the value.....

Wow. What an astute observation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top