Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2004 3:25:18 PM EDT
story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20040506/ap_on_re_eu/ukraine_nuclear

In a joint action, Ukraine’s police and state security agents seized two containers of cesium-137 and arrested three men from the southern city of Simferopol on the Crimean peninsula, police spokesman Yuriy Kondratyev told The Associated Press. An unspecified number of people were detained throughout Ukraine.

Cesium-137 is considered a likely ingredient for a so-called “dirty bomb,” in which conventional explosives are combined with radioactive material.

Cesium-137, a highly radioactive material, is used in soil-testing gauges in construction and is found in photoelectric batteries and vacuum valves. It explodes if it comes into contact with water, and exposure to it can cause blood diseases, sterility and birth defects.

Police and state security agents acted on a tip-off that two buyers from the Ukrainian capital, Kiev, were ready to purchase cesium at an estimated price of $60,000 per container, Kondratyev said. Each container seized weighed more than 187 pounds, he said.

Ok, boy (and gals too), place your bets:

Were the individuals detained:

1.  Christian mercanaries.

2.  IRA operatives.

3.  Representatives of the Podunk, Illinois science fair organizing committee,

or,

4.  Militants acting out Jihad in the name of the most holy religion of peace (tm)?

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The 187 pounds of the container was probably mostly the shielding.  Cesium-137 is really bad stuff, powdery an fluffly, perfect for dirty bombs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
CIA, man
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know who they where...But I can be pretty sure who there cutomers where.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Russian muslim extremists are no doubt aiding other muslim terrorist organizations in the acquisition of materials used for such bombs. Luckily, Russia cracks down on terrorism with no mercy. They refuse to accept such behavior and respond with ruthlessness.

This dirty bomber, Jose Padilla worked right across the Interstate from my house.
Close enough for me to take him out with a head shot from my rooftop.
S. Florida has played host to much of the terror activity in the last 3 years and I can't help but wonder how far up the list we are on the Al-Qaeda hit list.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This dirty bomber, Jose Padilla worked right across the Interstate from my house.
Close enough for me to take him out with a head shot from my rooftop.

If you only knew then what you know now.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you only knew then what you know now.

You ain't lying brother!!! And to think that Mohammed Atta and others were galavanting around Ft. Lauderdale bars and beaches in the months prior to 911, really makes me sick to my stomach.
Man, if hindsight was 20/20.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top