Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2007 4:02:09 PM EDT
...in other news I think I'm getting an eye booger...

From The Times
June 19, 2007
Muslim world inflamed by Rushdie knighthood
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article1951462.ece
Ben Hoyle

Sir Salman Rushdie celebrates his 60th birthday today in familiar circumstances: he is once again the subject of death threats across the Islamic world.

Eighteen years after the Ayatollah Khomeini issued a fatwa calling on Muslims to kill him, a government minister in Pakistan said yesterday that Rushdie’s recent knighthood justified suicide bombing.

The question of blasphemy in The Satanic Verses, Rushdie’s 1988 tale of a prophet misled by the devil, remains a deeply sensitive issue in much of the Muslim world and the author’s inclusion in the Queen’s Birthday Honours last week has inflamed anti-British sentiment.

Gerald Butt, editor of the authoritative Middle East Economic Survey, told The Times: “It will be interpreted as an action calculated to goad Muslims at a time when the atmosphere is already very tense and Britain’s standing in the region is very low because of its involvement in Iraq and its lack of action in tackling the Palestine issue.”
Expert View
Image of Michael Binyon. Leader writer.
Opening quote For nine years Salman Rushdie lived as a virtual prisoner, changing addresses constantly, and protected around the clock by British security at an estimated cost of £10 million Closing quote
Michael Binyon

* More

* Post a comment

Related Internet Links

* A symbol of free speech. Sign our petition in support of Sir Salman Rushdie

Hardliners in Iran revived calls for his murder yesterday. Mehdi Kuchakzadeh, a Tehran MP, declared: “Rushdie died the moment the late Imam [Ayatollah Khomeini] issued the fatwa.”

The Organisation to Commemorate Martyrs of the Muslim World, a fringe hardline group, offered a reward of $150,000 (£75,000) to any successful assassin.

Forouz Rajaefar, the group’s secretary general, said: “The British and the supporters of the anti-Islam Salman Rushdie could rest assured that the writer’s nightmare will not end until the moment of his death and we will bestow kisses on the hands of whomsoever is able to execute this apostate.”

Effigies of Rushdie and the Queen were burnt in Pakistan, where presidential elections at the end of the year have destablised an already volatile political climate. Hundreds of protesters in Multan, Karachi and Lahore set fire to British flags and chanted “Death to Britain, death to Rushdie” and Islamist leaders called for nationwide protests after Friday prayers.

Ijaz-ul-Haq, the Religious Affairs Minister, told the assembly in Islamabad that the award of the knighthood excused suicide bombing. “If somebody has to attack by strapping bombs to his body to protect the honour of the Prophet then it is justified,” he said.

He later retracted his statement, explaining that he had intended to say that knighting Rushdie will foster extremism. “If someone blows himself up, he will consider himself justified. How can we fight terrorism when those who commit blasphemy are rewarded by the West? We demand an apology by the British government. Their action has hurt the sentiments of 1.5 billion Muslims."

Pakistan’s national assembly earlier unanimously passed a resolution condemning Rushdie’s knighthood, which it said would encourage “contempt” for the Prophet Muhammad.

Rushdie was forced to go into hiding for almost a decade after the Ayatollah Khomeini issued the death sentence over The Satanic Verses.

On Valentine’s Day in 1989 the spiritual figurehead of the Iranian revolution pronounced on Teheran radio that: “The author of The Satanic Verses, which is against Islam, the Prophet, the Koran, and all those involved in its publication who were aware of its content, are sentenced to death.”

In Britain, the subsequent hate campaign helped to politicise and radicalise a generation of young British Muslims. The taxpayer is believed to have spent more than £10 million protecting Rushdie.

Only Khomeini had the power officially to lift the fatwa and he died without doing so, but in 1998, the Iranian Foreign Minister promised his British counterpart, Robin Cook, that Iran would not implement it.

Gradually, Rushdie emerged back into the literary spotlight and in recent years has appeared at events in London and New York, where he now lives.

It is understood that when he is in this country, Rushdie continues to receive round-the-clock police protection.

Muhammad Ali Hosseini, Iran’s foreign affairs spokesman, said on Sunday that the knighthood “will definitely put the British officials in confrontation with Islamic societies. This act shows that insulting Islamic sacred values is not accidental. It is planned, organised, guided and supported by some Western countries.”

Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Any excuse for "HATERS" to HATE...

America is run primarily by WHITE CHRISTIAN MEN...

Get over it.

Great Brittain is also run by primarily White Christian Men...

Anything we do is going to be used as an excuse to hate us.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I know of no other religion that so publically promotes the idea of killing.
Everything it would seem justifies these peoples bloodthirst. I know that lots of other folks from various religions engage in all kinds of 'war like' endeavors...but talk about PR.....its like they know of no other method of response than bloodshed.

Dont agree with someone else....kill them.
Another country doesnt adopt your religion as the standard....attack them
Some person doesnt believe as you do....bomb them.

WTF?

How about minding your own business and not worrying about what other people think?
They all seem like attention whores if you ask me. Like those bitch guys that cant stop crying unless someone strokes them and tells them they are great. Grow a set of balls.

I am guessing there arent many libertarian muslims out there...just a guess.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Ya know, she's mostly just ceremonial, but the old Queen's got some balls there, don't she?

Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#4]
sorry those Muslims are A holes
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Ya, get mad Rushdie. But what ever you do, don't get mad at other muslims whom are actually KILLING other muslims.

What's today? Monday?

In Before Sherrick.

Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#6]
CoC prevents my participation in this thread.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#7]
When you said inflammed, I thought you meant they were on fire.  Don't get my hopes up like that!  
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#8]
TMSIV

Too Much Sand In Vagina
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#9]
booo friggin hoo..... Get over it..... Mooslums need to reign it in or cut it off.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
its like they know of no other method of response than bloodshed.

Dont agree with someone else....kill them.
Another country doesnt adopt your religion as the standard....attack them
Some person doesnt believe as you do....bomb them.

women get raped? kill them the dishonoring their husbands
savage barbarians is all they are
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never read the book, but now I want to. I'd probably have never cared, but if it pisses moslems off so bad it has to be a great read.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#12]
there is something funny about bearded men in sundresses burning flags
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Muslim world inflamed again <yawn>

Uh... I thought it said "in flames", oh well. <double yawn>
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Man they get inflamed more than a whore's crotch and all the feet in the NFL combined
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Man they get inflamed more than a whore's crotch and all the feet in the NFL combined

Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#16]
blah blah blah lets burn a flag............that all ya got?
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=588709
REPOST .......I'M IN........IT'S THE R.O.P.......

OOOOOOOOOBOY!!!!!!!!!POST #666........COULD BE A SIGN?????
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#19]
It wasn't the Amish who flew planes into those buildings.

C77
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 3:31:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=588709

I searched "muslim" before posting, I do what I can
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:22:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Blasphemy I say!!!!

You are promoting Islamophobia in an attempt to slander the great 'religion of peace'.....

If you don't believe me then ask our own arfcom's beloved thedoctors308.
He'll tell you this is only a small group of 'misunderstood' peace loving muslims that are really only upset over an 'cartoon' or some other equally lame ass excuse for a protest.

They really are ALL just a peace loving people.......Really just ask him....
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:24:23 AM EDT
[#22]
anybody read his literary work?

is it good?
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:37:23 AM EDT
[#23]
It is my opinion, that global warming and air pollution comes from these savages burning things to protest something.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:39:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Hmmm, Pakistani presidential elections at the end of the year huh?  That could get interesting.  That country reminds me of a jar of hornets w/ a shaky lid.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:43:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:49:58 AM EDT
[#26]
These guys are really starting to cliche themselves. They inflame themselves over the silliest things.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:50:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Riots and mayhem in the lands of the R.O.P. say it aint so, say it aint so......
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 6:08:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
These guys are really starting to cliche themselves. They inflame themselves over the silliest things.

I'm probably gonna screw up my chance for my 72 virgins with this... but this may help with the inflammation:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top