Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2002 12:08:22 AM EDT
I am moving to the Jackson, Henderson / Selmer area.  Need information on real estate, gun shops, ranges etc., Please advise.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:27:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Memphis=Hell on Earth!
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Memphis=Hell on Earth!
View Quote

Sh*t!, why is that?
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you marry your sister?  Oops sorry thats Kentucky.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Nope, needs of the company.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#5]
You are moving to Tennessee and want some good advise?  Learn to appreciate the banjo and start wearing your underwear backwards. You will also have to relearn their version of the English language if you plan to communicate.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am moving to the Jackson, Henderson / Selmer area.  Need information on real estate, gun shops, ranges etc., Please advise.
View Quote

Not very familiar with the Jackson area but while living in Memphis "East Park Hardware" was my trusted gun dealer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Memphis is a sespool(sp). Jackson is ok only passed trough many times. There are good gun shopes in Memphis are and a couple in Jackson, Cant remeber any names as I havent lived in that end of the state in several years. Get your ccw!

R35
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You are moving to Tennessee and want some good advise?  Learn to appreciate the banjo and start wearing your underwear backwards. You will also have to relearn their version of the English language if you plan to communicate.
View Quote

Yor're just jealous [:D]

If you were moving to Middle TN I could help you.  I've lived here for 16 years and like it just fine. Not enough snow to suit my wife, but then we can't have it all, can we.

The best part anbout the Jackson area is that the Tennessee Black Rifle Group ususally has their shoots near Jackson.  They are a good crowd and alot of AR15.commers show up.

Best of luck.

edited cuzz I caint spell,  (read with a really crappy southern accent, otherwise you Po' Boys in LOOOOsiana couldn't unnerstan' it....Gotsome!...ouch!).

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Ignore the morons bashing our fair state.

Tennessee is fairly liberal on gun laws (liberal as in liberty, not as in democrat) we've got easy to obtain (if a bit expensive) CCW, no AW bans, no hicap bans, class III toys are legal, etc.

As I'm from the other end of the state, I don't know that area well.  You'll be about 90 miles from Memphis, which has Rangemaster--they run IDPA and IPSC type shooting matches every friday night.

[url]http://www.rangemaster.com[/url]

Our state also has a fairly active RKBA organization, The Tennessee Firearms Association, which has a Shelby County (memphis area) chapter that meets monthly.  They generally have state senators or a notable firearms personality speak at each meeting.

[url]http://www.tennesseefirearms.com[/url]
[url]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tennfirearmsassoc[/url]

The Shelby Co. folks will be local to you, and I'm sure will be able to help get you settled in various shooting related activities. :)

As for real estate, like I said--wrong end of the state for me.  You're on your own there. :)

Best of luck!

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#10]
TN ,good place to live.
Plenty of top notch gun shops
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks,

Where do you guys hold Garand / High Power matches?
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Dunno yet, i'm jus' gettin in to it myself.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone convoying to the Black Rifle Convention.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#14]
A convoy to the BRC? An excellent idea!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 1:08:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Remember to save your used teabags so you can throw them at your legislators next time the scumbags try to pass an income tax.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dunno yet, i'm jus' gettin in to it myself.
View Quote

There's two locations for long range matches: Oak Ridge & Tullahoma @ Arnold AFB.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:10:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Memphis=Hell on Earth!
View Quote

Sh*t!, why is that?
View Quote

Memphis is indeed a cesspool of racial baiting & infighting. Most "normal" folks avoid Memphis like the plague.
Jackson is ok, entirely different from Memphis' attitude. Dixie Gun Works is right around there somewhere, way cool store for blackpowder, accessories & cool junk in general.
Dunno about ranges as most folks out there "know somebody" who has a farm & they just go shoot there. Good luck & welcome to Buford Pussor territory!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Okay okay okay..............time for some real info.

Memphis = Cesspool......that is true!

Memphis has some good gun shops and at least two good ranges, Rangemaster being one and the other is ....Whitten Arms or something like that, nice place though.

Jackson is not anything like Memphis but does rank quite high on the likelihod of you being a victim of a violent crime in a recent nationwide poll.  Too high actually.  Jackson population is under 100k but growing rapidly.  Lots of housing and commercial expansion in last 2 years or so.  Has Outback, Redlobster, Corkys BBQ, Chilis, Raffertys, BK, McD, KFC, Chick-Fil-A, Chin/Jap places, Italian, and almost every other type of eatery you can think of.  Pringles park, home of the West Tn Diamond Jaxx is what....AA or AAA ball???...........they are a Cubs farm team and that is fun to go see.

Also has Sams club, Lowes, Home Depot, Several theaters, reasonable Mall and too may shopping opportunities to list.

All in all, I would live there if given a chance.

Yes, the Tennessee Black rifle Group does shoot from that area. As one of the founding members I can certainly say the we know how to have a good time.  (Need to shoot again guys!)

Selmer area is Bufford Pusser country and is very rural.  Nice Golf Course down around Savannah near PickWick Dam.

Jackson has my favorite gun shop where I do most all of my business.  Place is called Mikes.  Owned by Mike Presson, has a big HK sign out front on a pole.  Mike is Class III and is very very big into the LE market in that area.  Jackson PD issues HK so he is their man.  If you are so inclined, he has an exquisite array of full auto HK goodies and silencers etc etc.

Mike carries Colt, HK, Glock, Bushmaster, Armalite, Springfield, Para-Ord and most others.  All my Glocks and my HK came from Mike.  He also does a big business on Gunbroker.com.

I am about 45 minutes from Jackson and go there regularly, additionally Union City is home of Dixie Gun Works which is probably the foremost supplier of blackpowder weapons (replica and antiques) and accessories in the known world......I am about 30 min. from them.

Tennessee is country but it has enough civilization to keep you alive.

Inform me as to your plans and I will be glad to show you around.  I am waiting on a ship date from the US Army right now but if I am around .......  We can go to a few shops or something.....eat......have a beer.

Good Luck with the move and BTW..........what part of MI?

My ex-wifes Grandma lives in Port Huron. Been in Detroit and PH many times, also over into Sarnia (sp) Canada.

Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:51:31 AM EDT
[#19]
You don't want to live *in* Memphis but there are several nice communities on the fringes: Collierville, Germantown, and Arlington.  

The best thing Memphis has going for it gun-wise are Guns & Ammo, a pretty fair gun shop, and the Memphis Sport Shooting Association (the largest club of its kind in TN).  They hold the Garand and high-power matches there.  At present they have a 600-yard range but are working toward a 1000-yard one.  www.memphis-ssa.com

There's a gun show about every month or so, and the residents, despite the racial divisions and generally Democrat tendencies, seem to be very conservative when it comes to guns.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Another good gunshop in the Memphis area is Whitten Arms.  My friends and I have fallen in love with the place.  They have a nice indoor range and have always treated us well.

Make sure you post here once you get in TN and us local yocals can show you around.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Move to Nashville. I was expecting trailers, big hair, and inbreds. It's a beautiful, wellkept, hilly city. It seemed very much like Austin of twenty years ago, at least the bit of Nashville I saw.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#22]
If you're moving to the Selmer area, you will probably be closer to Jackson than Memphis. Since you will be out in the country I would look for some places to shoot around there. If you have a handgun, get your concealed carry permit soon. Especially for your trips to Memphis, you can find your self in the wrong place at the wrong time here, if you're not careful/familiar with the area. The indoor shooting ranges in Memphis are Rangemasters and Whitten Arms (they both have websites, you can do a search and should be able to find them) There is also a 100 yard rifle/shotgun slug range and a pistol range and also trap shooting at Shelby Farms Public Rifle Range. I personally would stay away from Memphis unless you want to see the MS River or take in a big concert or other big event that is in Memphis. Jackson will have none of the BIG events, but they have enough for a Sat. night out (dinner/etc.). If you have a boat, like fishing etc. Pickwick lake is pretty close to Selmer and would be a good place to go. Good thing about TN is there are a lot of hunters and gun loving folks (not counting the gangsters in Memphis). You can email me with any other questions or if you want to come to Memphis to shoot. [email protected]

good luck with the move

Later,
Scott
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#23]
You will find most Tennesseans similar to the people in "most" other states.  Treat them with respect and they will treat you the same.  After you get settled in take a short trip to Shiloh National Battlefield, it's worth the trip.  I don't know what sort of people that person fron Louisiana hangs with but I have never met, or heard, of a person wearing their underware backwards.  Not in Tennessee at least.  It must be different in the swamp.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#24]
X—Kill, GlockRules, USMC_LB:

Thanks for the information.  Once I get settled I will email.  

X—Kill:

I live in the Flint area, have been to the Sarnia ballet on a few occasions.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Went through Flint once on the way to Ted Nugents Bow Shop in Jackson.

Very cool place...............missed Ted by 1 day.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Remember to save your used teabags so you can throw them at your legislators next time the scumbags try to pass an income tax.
View Quote

Now THAT was fun! Sundquist SUCKS!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Move to Nashville. I was expecting trailers, big hair, and inbreds. It's a beautiful, wellkept, hilly city. It seemed very much like Austin of twenty years ago, at least the bit of Nashville I saw.
View Quote

I'll second that...I've lived here (in Nashville) my whole life and from the traveling I've done, I'm never leaving. Its a big enough city that you have all the "civilization" you could want but people here still open doors for you and say hello as you pass them on the street. I've been amazed at the rudeness that seems so common in other states.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Memphis=Hell on Earth!
View Quote

Sh*t!, why is that?
View Quote

Memphis is about 1 or 2 square miles of nice modern city, surrounded by a sprawling metropolis of projects. Even Graceland is in the middle of the projects. Go to Memphis for good BBQ & Blues then get back out QUICK!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#29]
jackson is a great little city. i lived there
about 3 years ago. now i live in memphis & YES
cess pool or rat hole are correct terms to descibe it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Walking down Lamar at night is almost like being in a Fellini movie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top