Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2003 5:06:00 PM EDT
I posted this about a year and a half ago, but lost the post.

Anyway, am moving to Ann Arbor, MI definitely in two weeks.  From what I understand, I need to register my handguns.  Would like to hear from anybody what this process entails:

1)I have 10+ handguns - will that be a problem?

2)How long will I be without my guns?

3)Fees?

4)Do I register with the city PD or the county sheriff's office?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#1]
ANN ARBOR?!?!  Oh dear god!  That's Berkeley Lite.  Handgun restrictions are going to be the least of your problems. Are you a student or something? Why are you moving there?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Each police department in Michigan has their own way of handling the registration.  First you need to find out what days they handle registration.  The law says they must do it during all normal business hours but most police departments don't follow the law, go figure.

The registration process is nothing more than the PD writting down the serial number.  They shouldn't take your guns and they shouldn't make you wait but they might.  They might make you take a T/F test about the gun laws.

You will then be given a little green card for each of your handguns showing that it is registered to you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#3]
SWIRE is right.  Depending on your location, you will have to go to the city police or the sheriff department.  Once there they will conduct a "safety check".  They will run the serial numbers and record them.  You will be issued a green card stating that you are the owner.  When a person goes to get a purchase permit, a true/false test is required.  I believe that it is 20 questions and the questions are easy.  Basic gun safety stuff.  Glad to hear that one more normal person will be in Ann Arbor.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#4]
What a freakin' PITA.  At least my long arms don't need to be registered.  If I didn't need a job...

So how long can they keep my firearms for?  I found a copy of the law, and it doesn't mention anything about this.

If I'm living north of the Huron river across from the hospital, where would that put me, AAPD or WCSD?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Ann Arbor? Sucks to be you....I hate that place.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What a freakin' PITA.  At least my long arms don't need to be registered.  If I didn't need a job...

So how long can they keep my firearms for?  I found a copy of the law, and it doesn't mention anything about this.

If I'm living north of the Huron river across from the hospital, where would that put me, AAPD or WCSD?
View Quote

Yes it is a PITA.  I had to go thru it when I moved back from Florida.  It took me almost 2 hours for the lady to "safety inspect" them.

And they won't keep your guns, you walk in with them and you walk out with them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Cut the criticism.  I love Ann Arbor.  It's a beautiful town with a beautiful school.  [nostlagia]The happiest years of my life were spent there.[/notsalgia]

Although it is a frizzy haired liberal hotbed.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top