Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2011 8:48:20 PM EDT
Ok, I have a slight problem. I am going to be moving around 800miles from my current location, and I need some advice.

Are there any decent long distance moving companies that you guys recommend? The lowest quote I got so far was for around 4k-5k.

I have also considered getting a Uhaul truck with a trailer for my car. That would run about 1500 for the one way trip using a 17 or 20ft truck with the full sized car trailer. If I choose this, I have two problems. The first one being, I have never driven something that's over 15ft long, and I need some advice about driving something that fucking big. The second problem is that I have a second car that I also need to move down there. I was thinking about asking a friend to do the drive with me and then pay him while also paying to fly him home.

Would it even be worth the hassle of renting the truck or would it be best to say screw it and just pay the guys to move all my shit?

Breakdown of the costs:
Uhaul truck with trailer is         $1500
Gas would be around              $300+ for the truck.
Pay the friend to drive car #2- $200ish?
Gas for car #2                         $160
Flight back for friend               $100-200

Total is around (give or take)  $2400

Then the hassle of rounding up a few friends to move all the stuff...
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#1]
It sucks.

And that is going to be on the cheap side.

I did this recently cross -country, looked at Pods, hitching a load on a 52' through my friends company, and it was still cheeper for me to get a Ryder, U-Haul etc...

Expensive.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I used United back in late Dec 2003.  $2100-ish for Atlanta, GA to Overland Park, KS.  That was when gas was a lot less expensive and the dollar was worth more.  $4k sounds about right.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#3]

There is the small container option.  I forget what they are called but they are

easy to find.  Maybe 10 foot square, 6 feet high or so.  My daughter used that system

coming  back from CA. and loved it.  Not too expensive either.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Proceed to downsize.  I have about 14-15 major moves in the past 10 years.  And now that I'm divorced anything I cant fit in a smallish U-haul trailer is too much.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a pod?

RF
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it's Old Dominion that will drop off a trailer, you load it, and they haul it.  Last time I looked into it was a few years ago, and they seemed awfully high.

I wound up renting a Penske truck with a car hauler trailer (forget UHaul, their trucks are garbage).  This was 9 years ago now, gas was much cheaper and it was still a killer to pump gas in that thing for 1000 miles.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Upack was affordable and had great service when we moved across the country
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#8]
http://www.uship.com/

You might be able to get someone to move a vehicle, some or all of your stuff.

You also might be able to buy trailers that your cars can handle. Drive one out, fly back, drive the other one out, sell the trailers. Look at costs to sell and replace items rather than move them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:05:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Pod + flatbed truck
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://www.uship.com/

You might be able to get someone to move a vehicle, some or all of your stuff.

You also might be able to buy trailers that your cars can handle. Drive one out, fly back, drive the other one out, sell the trailers. Look at costs to sell and replace items rather than move them.

My dad bought a 28' used box truck when National Truck Rental went under, many years ago. He sold it after we finished moving and made $500 on it!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:15:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Wheaton
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:28:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Look up ABF.  Basically,it is the same as pod moving.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:45:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Drive one of your vehicles to your new location, drop it off, then take the bus back home (you asked for cheap).

Rent a truck and car dolly, and move yourself.

Driving a 20 foot truck is easy...you'll get the hang of it quickly.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the help and advice so far guys. I have been looking more into the recommendations you have posted.

Procyon- I checked with United and looked at their reviews, and they had some really shitty reviews lately with charging way over the estimated total. People have also had problems with them holding their stuff for weeks on end. That's not something I would want to have happen.

quarry_plinker- I think that would be too small. I have about 4 rooms of crap that I need to move, but as others have suggested, I am starting to downsize.

junker46- I need to get rid of a lot of things to get down to that level, but thats where I want to be if I ever have to move again.

refurb- I think the pods would be too small, and I am moving from an appt complex, so I am pretty dam sure they would flip their shit if I had a pod out there for a few days.

Warhawk- I am going to give Penske a call to see what they say about their trucks. From what I read online, the uhaul trucks can be pretty shitty, but then again I really don't give a shit as long as it goes from point A to point B.

Twin2- Upack just gave me a quote for about 2500 if I have them pack the truck, or 1160 if I pack the truck.

VACaver- I think I just might do that.

Thank you again for all the advice guys!
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Having moved a couple of times in the last few years I can say this with absolute certainty.  Half the stuff you own could go in the dumpster and you'll never miss it.  Maybe even two thirds.  Furniture?  Garage sales are your friend, on both ends.  Clothes?  Yes, it just may be time to get rid of the college drinking shirt.  You don't really need twenty eight t-shirts.  Or ten pairs of shoes.  The sweatshirt that looks like a rag, well, it is a rag, pitch it..  Books.  You haven't looked at the college text books in five years.  You're never going to look at them again.  Used book store.  If you get a dollar piece you're money ahead.

Next time I move its kitchen stuff, gun stuff, clothes, electronics and not much else.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Sell all your crap.  You can replace almost anything cheaper than the cost of moving it.

Not including guns and ammo...which I would not trust to any one but myself to move.

We moved from Texas to Colorado used Compass Van Lines.
some stuff scratched, dented, and broke.  About 3 grand to move 800 miles.
Yes they jack up the price after they have most of the stuff loaded.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Having moved a couple of times in the last few years I can say this with absolute certainty.  Half the stuff you own could go in the dumpster and you'll never miss it. Maybe even two thirds.  Furniture?  Garage sales are your friend, on both ends.  Clothes?  Yes, it just may be time to get rid of the college drinking shirt.  You don't really need twenty eight t-shirts.  Or ten pairs of shoes.  The sweatshirt that looks like a rag, well, it is a rag, pitch it..  Books.  You haven't looked at the college text books in five years.  You're never going to look at them again.  Used book store.  If you get a dollar piece you're money ahead.

Next time I move its kitchen stuff, gun stuff, clothes, electronics and not much else.

My wife still has boxes unpacked from the last time we moved 13.5 years ago!  I keep telling her that if it's been in a box that long, you obviously don't need it!

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Having moved a couple of times in the last few years I can say this with absolute certainty.  Half the stuff you own could go in the dumpster and you'll never miss it. Maybe even two thirds.  Furniture?  Garage sales are your friend, on both ends.  Clothes?  Yes, it just may be time to get rid of the college drinking shirt.  You don't really need twenty eight t-shirts.  Or ten pairs of shoes.  The sweatshirt that looks like a rag, well, it is a rag, pitch it..  Books.  You haven't looked at the college text books in five years.  You're never going to look at them again.  Used book store.  If you get a dollar piece you're money ahead.

My wife still has boxes unpacked from the last time we moved 13.5 years ago!  I keep telling her that if it's been in a box that long, you obviously don't need it!

I hate to say it but so do I.  Granted its my Grandma's china.  But the amount of formal entertaining I do is limited.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I feel for you. We are in the early stages of planning a move 3/4's of the way across the country.

Our plan? Throw away pretty much everything we own, and then start again when we buy a house.

I joked the other night, our living room set is going to be two lawn chairs and a chaise lounge from Home Depot, until we get settled.

(A Pod might be the way to go.)
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#21]
When I moved from WA to CT I paid locals a couple of hundred bucks to load up a 26ft Penske truck then drove across in 6 days, was a great journey and the truck was simple to drive.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Hopefully next month I'll be moving from Illinois to Arizona.  

I looked into a U-Haul.  They want $300 for a pup trailer, and $1200 for the smallest truck.  Even for $300, I can locally reacquire most furniture.   My plan is, if it won't fit in my Ranger, I can live without it, or re-buy it once I get there.  My furniture is all not worth it.  My mattress is getting old.  I'm pretty much just going to bring clothes, guns, housewares, reloading supplies/ammo, and whatever misc stuff I can fit in the corners.  

I'll probably look like a cross between the Joads and a Gypsy.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Might pay to get a conex container, pack it yourself, and ship it either train or truck.

For REALLY CHEAP, my brother in law bought an old school bus, tossed the seats, used it to move, then sold it for what he had in it on the other side.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Interesting thread.

TAG.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought a trailer for my move. Why rent when you can have a reusable asset that will pay for itself over time?

You could even resell it on the other side of your move off money is tight.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I bought a trailer for my move. Why rent when you can have a reusable asset that will pay for itself over time?

You could even resell it on the other side of your move off money is tight.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I did the same thing when I got transferred from Cali to Jersey. I bought a 4x8 trailer frame for a couple hundred bucks, then spent a couple hundred more putting plywood on it. Wound up with a nice little utility trailer that I sold for 800 bucks once the move was complete.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#27]
With the distance that you are moving I highly suggest you look over this site.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I do sales in the moving business....if you can pay for a mover then I would do that. In the long run the uhaul will add up and you will find out if you have any real friends! Try and get them down some more, they usually will, I do. If not ive seen quite a few moves where people should just sell and buy new.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Do not use any internet companies....its 50/50 may get your stuff, may not. May cost the same may cost more when they get there. Remember a 17-20 Uhaul can only hold 5-7000lbs...if you know how to load . Did the estimator tell you the weight? They charge you by weight and miles...books are the worse 50-60lbs a box...get not to exceed estimate...never go non binding or binding that way if it weighs less you only have to pay that amount. Tell the salesperson and the driver you want to view the weighing...they can bump weights easily if it does weigh less.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think it's Old Dominion that will drop off a trailer, you load it, and they haul it.  Last time I looked into it was a few years ago, and they seemed awfully high.

I wound up renting a Penske truck with a car hauler trailer (forget UHaul, their trucks are garbage).  This was 9 years ago now, gas was much cheaper and it was still a killer to pump gas in that thing for 1000 miles.

+1 on Penske vs. U-Haul.

Depending on how much stuff you have to pack, you can spend a day or two just packing.  Is packing included in that quote from the moving company?
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#31]
One other thing to consider about using moving companies...

Every service member that PCS'd somewhere using a commercial mover can tell you horror stories about the move. Dinged up/broken furniture, boxes that left the original site with VCR's arriving full of bricks, etc...

If you want it done right, move yourself.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:52:41 PM EDT
[#32]
how much is your stuff worth?  You could probably sell most of it local and save a lot of money moving stuff that's 10 years old or whatever and just buy new when you get there.  You would only need to buy a bed, first, tv, a couple of chairs and a small table to eat on which you could probably buy at a local garage sale when you get there.  Mail most of your clothes UPS or whatever and again how much stuff would you want to  pay to mail?  $2400 bucks would buy a lot of stuff.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#33]
http://www.americanmoving.com/

I used them before and they are no scams or BS.  Everything made it at the price that was quoted and was undamaged.  A+
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top