Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2007 8:17:27 AM EDT
It's built like a townhouse, 3 stories, in a students-only apartment complex.

Jesus christ, it's like a parody of every bad apartment out there. There's a million little things wrong.

No AC vents in the upper-level bedrooms. But there's one in the bathroom.

The "free broadband" seems to be actually leeched wireless from the dorm across the street.

The flush lever on the 3rd-floor toilet snapped off, so we have to reach in the tank and flush it by pulling up the valve.

Ominous stains all over the den carpet.

And, of course, a couple "wait, is that a cockroach?" sightings.

I think the funniest is the "free broadband." There's a panel in a closet that had its cover held on with masking tape (another WTF moment) that is full of ethernet lines and a wireless router. There are ethernet jacks in every bedroom. So obviously they used to provide actual internet service. But there's no internet over the ethernet line. I guess they just decided it'd be cheaper to leech from the university.

I'll try to get pics if I can find my camera's cable.

Edit: and of course we're here on a year's lease.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Give the city's inspector a call.

Kharn

yea and have the place declared unlivable...sounds awesome
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Give the city's inspector a call.

Kharn

It's not near bad enough for that, I don't think.

But it is bad enough for the BBB if they don't resolve some of this.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:43:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it campus-run?

Why havent you gotten the landlords there yet to fix things?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is it campus-run?

No, it's private, and we just moved in yesterday and are still compiling the list of things that are wrong.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#5]
You didn't notice this when you looked at the apartment?  If you signed a lease for an apartment with litte air conditioning and stained carpets, don't piss and moan about it.  You got what you asked for and your low rent is reflective of that crappiness.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is it campus-run?

No, it's private, and we just moved in yesterday and are still compiling the list of things that are wrong.

Gotcha
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You didn't notice this when you looked at the apartment?  If you signed a lease for an apartment with litte air conditioning and stained carpets, don't piss and moan about it.  You got what you asked for and your low rent is reflective of that crappiness.

We signed a lease based on the toured apartments. All apartments were occupied at the time of our tour, and we weren't able to see more than one bedroom in each one. And of course they certainly chose the cleanest and nicest apartments to tour.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We signed a lease based on the toured apartments. All apartments were occupied at the time of our tour, and we weren't able to see more than one bedroom in each one. And of course they certainly chose the cleanest and nicest apartments to tour.

Classroom lessons are not the only ones you will learn at College.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:03:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The flush lever on the 3rd-floor toilet snapped off, so we have to reach in the tank and flush it by pulling up the valve.

Ominous stains all over the den carpet.

And, of course, a couple "wait, is that a cockroach?" sightings.
Suck it up.  I bet the price is right.  You can easily replace the flush lever with a part from Home Depot for a nominal cost.

The roaches are normal, they are survivors, they will be still kicking long after the human race is dead and buried.  At most of the fancy restaurants and hotels you will find some of those buggers.

It is not the end of the world, your purpose at this point in your life is to study and get good grades.  Years from now, you can think back about all those weird things that happened to you when you were a student.

So cheer up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top