Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2013 11:01:50 AM EDT
Any one here into it? Just moved to WY and those Wind River peaks are beautiful. What kind of gear would you recommend for someone who's mainly just hiking short day trips and would like to try a week or so trip into some real alpine country?

For you experienced guys what's your most memorable climb?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Salomon boots should be your first purchase for general hiking.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Any one here into it? Just moved to WY and those Wind River peaks are beautiful. What kind of gear would you recommend for someone who's mainly just hiking short day trips and would like to try a week or so trip into some real alpine country?

View Quote

Good boots, a good pack, the clothing/knowledge to stay alive in the cold, and a walking staff.

Always plan for unexpected surprise blizzards and how to survive one. The weather at mountainous altitudes is unpredictable at best. I've seen it snow on the 4th of July...and stick...at 5,000' of elevation. Don't become a shitsicle.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Salomon = Garbage.

Stick with Raichle, Asolo, LaSportiva, or Vasque.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Start by drinking your own urine, then get some carabeeners just to rattle around on your belt and look cool.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Salomon = Garbage.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Salomon = Garbage.

Vasque makes great stuff, as does Asolo. If I'm not technical climbing I prefer 10" laceups like White Smokejumpers. Most hiking boots don't have enough ankle support for serious mountain hiking.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've been both a rock climber and mountaineer for well over 30 years, though I haven't had as much opportunity to participate living in Michigan.

For day hiking, I would recommend a pair of low-top hiking shoes.  Unless you're going to be crossing scree slopes, or doing a lot of off-trail bushwhacking, then low tops are just fine.

For shoes, I like Lowa, though they tend to run a bit narrow.  The Renegade II GTX is a very good shoe.

Or, get a pair of lightweight hiking boots.  You can absolutely never go wrong with the most classic of them all: the Vasque Sundowner.

Get yourself a 35 liter pack for day hikes and fill it with water, first aid, sunscreen, bugspray, camera, wet & cold weather clothing, and food.  I also carry an MSR Miniworks filter, since carrying gallons of water sucks and I like to stay hydrated.

My most memorable experience was not a climb, but a 4-day traverse of the Olympic Mountains in Washington from Lake Cushman to Lake Quinalt via Six Ridge.  Started the trip on a sunny day, only to have it freeze and dump snow/ice when were were at the high point of the climb.  Lost the trail and bushwhacked about 20 miles until we found the pickup point.  At one point, I was trailblazing by following a game trail that had recently been used by a large bear...I was obliterating the tracks as I found them so I didn't freak out my buddies.

What an amazing trek.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Salomon = Garbage.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Salomon = Garbage.

Interesting... Why do you say that? First I have EVER heard that.
And in my experience far from the truth.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Salomon = Garbage.

I love my Salomon boots they are my favorite pair of hiking boots! I have used them from hiking the mountains in Washington to fishing in Kentucky and they have held up extremely well.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#9]
We hiked the wind river range a few years back and got our butts kicked.  As soon as we got to the parking area a blizzard came over the mountain and we couldn't see anything.  Managed to get to the trail head where we were forced to set camp.  Woke up the next day to 6-8' snow drifts and no visible trail.  It was all map and compass.  Can't recall what time of year it was but it wasn't winter.  The entire way up people would ask where we were headed and when we told them everybody said, "a little early this year."  Now we know why.  

This was three Texas boys who learned real quick we were out of our element.  Be careful.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#10]
don't  ruck more than 20% body weight .   LL beans nice stuff great warranty
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#11]
A good book that covers the basics of mountaneering is "The Freedom of the Hills. Classic text.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#12]
If you visit the Bridger-Teton wilderness area, take your model 29.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top