Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2006 7:10:26 PM EDT
No shit!  

I was driving home last night and about 10 bikes came screaming by at about 120 MPH weaving between all of the cars on the interstate.

Look twice, motorcycles are everywhere!

This makes it sound like it's the driver's fault when they get hit.

It seems like I'm not the one that needs to be more careful!

Who feels the same way?

I know there are plenty of good bikers out there but, it seems like the future organ donors are the only ones I see down here...
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Heck yes, motorcycles are everywhere.  Check out me on my new ride... Well, I got it last year, but it's still new to me, lol.

By the way, it's not a stock ZX-6.  It's got some unbelievable mods, and smokes basically everything I come up against.

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Heck yes, motorcycles are everywhere.  Check out me on my new ride... Well, I got it last year, but it's still new to me, lol.

By the way, it's not a stock ZX-6.  It's got some unbelievable mods, and smokes basically everything I come up against.

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Ah yes, it's that time a year for some more motorcyclists bashing.

Yes, those people were idiots for driving like that. I don't defend them at all, but people who drive cars do the SAME things.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice hair!
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

images6.theimagehosting.com/FastJimmysHotRide.jpg

oh God....please tell me that's not you......
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Well, I do work out a lot.  Running, weights- you know the drill.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, those people were idiots for driving like that. I don't defend them at all, but people who drive cars do the SAME things.

How does one split SEVERAL full lanes in a car?

Fixed...
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need to cut your hair...

I'll leave it at that...

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I know a few guys with daytonas, both the 955 and the 675's.  Is yours completely stock?
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does one split full lanes in a car?

By not caring about their fenders and liberal usage of the horn.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes!  With gas prices being what they are I think you will be seeing a lot of bikes.
I've been riding one for over 35 years now and luckily still haven't been seriously killed.

I personally think that this summer will see an enormous amount of new bikers, unfortunately it will also bring a large increase in dead bikers due to their riding inexperience but equally as well from the idiots in cages that just don't seem to realize that us bikers also have a right to the road...

DISCLAIMER: I ride a cruiser, and IMO most sport bike riders, not all but most, are idiots and will end up as yesterdays grease spot on the road.....
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Most car/bike accidents are caused by drivers that don't see, see but it doesn't register, or misjudge the speed/distance of the bike because they're not used to the scale.

Look twice is really good advice.

At 120 mph it's all on them, but riding faster than traffic, and even lane splitting in certain situations on multi-lane highways is safer than riding slow or getting boxed in in tight traffic.

It's too easy far a cager to change lanes and leave you nowhere to go or for road debris to pop out from under another vehicle, those are the biggest dangers on the freeway.

A rider has to assume nobody can see him, and ride accordingly. The safest course isn't always what a non-rider might think it is.

The reckless riders piss us off as much as they do everyone else.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He is back.....................................................................

Slow night at the mall Jimmy?
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Lots of bikes around here, but rarely anyone riding in an unruly manner. When I lived in Pacific there were lots of crotch-rockets, and some of them are the ride-the-wheelie-forever kind (which fascinates me), but now we're closer to Union and it's mostly Harleys down here. The backroads are relatively quiet, so they make for good cruising, plus we're real close to Bourbeuse Valley Harley so a lot of their customers go by here. Some very nice bikes around here,  and most of them are just enjoying the ride rather than trying to hurry through.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#18]
IIRC, soemthing like 15-20 percent of motorcycle accidents are the fault of the bike rider.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

He is back.....................................................................

Slow night at the mall Jimmy?

Things have changed a little, actually.  I've been promoted to asst. manager at the pretzel shop in the mall, and with the new responsibilities and management duties, my nighttime domination activities have been curtailed... slightly, lol.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if that is really you, what's up with the acid-wash jeans mr. 1980?

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#21]
How do you fit all that hair underneath a helmet? Or do you even wear a helmet?
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
IIRC, soemthing like 15-20 percent of motorcycle accidents are the fault of the bike rider.

I highly doubt that.  In fact, I know that 50 percent of motorcycle fatalaties are alcohol related.  Where did you get that stastistic?
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Steam-roll 'em
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I highly doubt that.  In fact, I know that 50 percent of motorcycle fatalaties are alcohol related.  Where did you get that stastistic?

15-20% of bike/car accidents sounds about right.

50% of single vehicle motorcycle crashes being alcohol related sounds about right too, and maybe 50% of the auto drivers who kill motorcyclists have been drinking as well.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, you beat me to it!
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

LMFAO
I'm sure those mods are unbelievable. Where's your denim jacket w/ the Skid Row and MegaDeath patches?  
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link to the Hurt Study findings

These findings are summarized as follows:

1. Approximately three-fourths of these motorcycle accidents involved collision with another vehicle, which was most usually a passenger automobile.

2. Approximately one-fourth of these motorcycle accidents were single vehicle accidents involving the motorcycle colliding with the roadway or some fixed object in the environment.

3. Vehicle failure accounted for less than 3% of these motorcycle accidents, and most of those were single vehicle accidents where control was lost due to a puncture flat.

4. In the single vehicle accidents, motorcycle rider error was present as the accident precipitating factor in about two-thirds of the cases, with the typical error being a slide out and fall due to over braking or running wide on a curve due to excess speed or under-cornering.

5. Roadway defects (pavement ridges, potholes, etc.) were the accident cause in 2% of the accidents; animal involvement was 1% of the accidents.

6. In the multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds of those accidents.

7. The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the predominating cause of motorcycle accidents. The driver of the other vehicle involved in collision with the motorcycle did not see the motorcycle before the collision, or did not see the motorcycle until too late to avoid the collision.

8. Deliberate hostile action by a motorist against a motorcycle rider is a rare accident cause. The most frequent accident configuration is the motorcycle proceeding straight then the automobile makes a left turn in front of the oncoming motorcycle.

9. Intersections are the most likely place for the motorcycle accident, with the other vehicle violating the motorcycle right-of-way, and often violating traffic controls.

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know a few guys with daytonas, both the 955 and the 675's.  Is yours completely stock?

Eh, almost, it's got a new windscreen, Wolf underseat exhaust, and some Dunlop D607's. I just like to ride it, so nothing too crazy.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

1. Approximately three-fourths of these motorcycle accidents involved collision with another vehicle, which was most usually a passenger automobile.

2. Approximately one-fourth of these motorcycle accidents were single vehicle accidents involving the motorcycle colliding with the roadway or some fixed object in the environment.

3. Vehicle failure accounted for less than 3% of these motorcycle accidents, and most of those were single vehicle accidents where control was lost due to a puncture flat.

4. In the single vehicle accidents, motorcycle rider error was present as the accident precipitating factor in about two-thirds of the cases, with the typical error being a slide out and fall due to over braking or running wide on a curve due to excess speed or under-cornering.

5. Roadway defects (pavement ridges, potholes, etc.) were the accident cause in 2% of the accidents; animal involvement was 1% of the accidents.

6. In the multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds of those accidents.

7. The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the predominating cause of motorcycle accidents. The driver of the other vehicle involved in collision with the motorcycle did not see the motorcycle before the collision, or did not see the motorcycle until too late to avoid the collision.

8. Deliberate hostile action by a motorist against a motorcycle rider is a rare accident cause. The most frequent accident configuration is the motorcycle proceeding straight then the automobile makes a left turn in front of the oncoming motorcycle.

9. Intersections are the most likely place for the motorcycle accident, with the other vehicle violating the motorcycle right-of-way, and often violating traffic controls.

You realize that you claimed that only 15-20 percent of motorcycle accidents are the fault of the rider.  That usage is all inclusive, since you certainly didn't modify it.

Without going too deeply, you refute your own claim by posting the hurt report.  Re-read the following:

What that means is that 25 percent of all motorcycle accidents are single vehicle accidents, and inherently the fault of the rider.

Of course, the item you highlighted in red yourself, referencing multiple vehicle accidents being the fault of the drive in two thirds of the accidents (see #6 above), proves that motorcyclists are at fault in fully 33 percent of those.

Your 15-20 percent guestimate on 'accidents' is way off.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I was clipped last year, driving in my car, by an idiot on a crotch rocket who misjudged the distance while swerving through traffic.    He and his buddies got upset and I almost had to draw down when they threatened to kill me after I asked if he was ok at the next exit.     The dang idiot could walk and he might have busted his leg thanks to his stupidity.

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You realize that you claimed that only 15-20 percent of motorcycle accidents are the fault of the rider.  That usage is all inclusive, since you certainly didn't modify it.

Without going too deeply, you refute your own claim by posting the hurt report.  Re-read the following:

What that means is that 25 percent of all motorcycle accidents are single vehicle accidents, and inherently the fault of the rider.

Of course, the item you highlighted in red yourself, referencing multiple vehicle accidents being the fault of the drive in two thirds of the accidents (see #6 above), proves that motorcyclists are at fault in fully 33 percent of those.

I can't really wrap my mind around your arguments, cause of that gay picture you posted of yourself.  I just keep laughing.  sorry man.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I won't say it....... <--------but there it is.  BTW The Nelson's called, they want to know when you're coming by.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My numbers were incorrect, I will admit. It is still safe to say that 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 motorcycle accidents is not the fault of the rider, typically someone DWHUA. Mine was certainly that way.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Most car/bike accidents are caused by drivers that don't see, see but it doesn't register, or misjudge the speed/distance of the bike because they're not used to the scale.

Look twice is really good advice.
A rider has to assume nobody can see him, and ride accordingly. The safest course isn't always what a non-rider might think it is.

The reckless riders piss us off as much as they do everyone else.

at an intersection near my house/ work, two motorcyclists have been killed by people that failed to see them/ failed to stop at  a stop sign.    the motorcyclists were not speeding excessively.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:23:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought this was uberprettygirlieman when I saw the pic!

I'm a girl and I'm not that pretty. Oh well.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
[ It is still safe to say that 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 motorcycle accidents is not the fault of the rider, typically someone DWHUA. Mine was certainly that way.

Of my three accidents, 2 of them were definitely my fault, and the third was a deer.   I think drivers are the biggest danger by far to conscientious, well trained riders.  If you were to modify the stastic to cover riders with say... five years or more of experience, I imagine the percentage of rider fault would be very low.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I've been riding one for over 35 years now and luckily still haven't been seriously killed.

How can you be seriously killed?
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it is the opposite of being hilariously killed...

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hee Hee....

In my riding world "Seriously Killed" means "you ain't coming back"...
I do have the scars from not being seriously killed though....
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[ It is still safe to say that 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 motorcycle accidents is not the fault of the rider, typically someone DWHUA. Mine was certainly that way.

Of my three accidents, 2 of them were definitely my fault, and the third was a deer.   I think drivers are the biggest danger by far to conscientious, well trained riders.  If you were to modify the stastic to cover riders with say... five years or more of experience, I imagine the percentage of rider fault would be very low.

I think the experience level was not shown to be significant.    it was more important whether or not the motorcyclist had received expert instruction, such as a MSF course or other.    ie some guy that had ridden dirt bikes for five years, got his motorcycle endorsement and might not have ridden on the street for very long, but had the endorsement for five years might still be a very high risk.

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Yeap.....

I plan on getting a bike when I get back too....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top