Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 2:34:06 AM EDT
Just wondering if there's retention issues if the ride gets a little bumpy, or if I'm just thinking about stupid shit while trying to fall asleep.

I carry an M&P9c in an MTAC.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:49:09 AM EDT
[#1]
retention isn't an issue, so long as its a decent holster (Not some $15 shapeless thing) and you aren't adventure riding.

One issue:  consider impact on your body.  Under NO circumstances would I do a small-0f-back holster on a bike.  That's like placing a hard "anvil" over a vertebrae ad asking for spinal issues.

Your biggest problem is most bike jackets are shorties.  Too short to conceal. I use a pocket carry.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:55:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry in a Blackhawk holster under my T shirt during the summer. Long story short, I had to get it out real quick this summer and it worked flawlessly. Hardest thing was getting the bike in neutral while keeping an eye on situation while trying to stop and draw at the same time.lol
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:00:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I cc when riding.   Get a good holster.  I like the crossbreed super tuck deluxe.   Did about 4000 miles the week of sturgis this year all while carrying.  I carry at the 4 or 5 o'clock position.  Inside waist band.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:00:55 AM EDT
[#4]
went down on mine with my p226 in a comp-tac . it popped out and slid across the pavement but only because the act of me sliding across the pavement wore through my belt.  now i have that hardened battle look on my sig!

anywho...yeah i still carry on mine and never fear I'll lose it from normal riding
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:02:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I actually laid a bike down at 50ish while cc w a shoulder holster.  I landed on that side and rode it till some alders caught me. Didn't help my ribs on that side any. I wouldn't want to do it again with a belt holster.
A. You would get hurt  more landing on the gun.
B. You would likely lose the gun do to the violence of the incident.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:06:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I have used my crossbreed and don't feel comfortable. I am always checking to make sure its not riding out. It never does but i also don't want to have to stop my bike and go pick up my pistol in the middle of traffic.

I got a Safariland ALS. My jacket does not cover it when i am on my bike but when i get off my jacket covers it just fine.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:07:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I just keep it in my little magnetic tank bag.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:16:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Shoulder holster under jacket.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:19:17 AM EDT
[#9]

I know 2 guys who's injuries were significantly reduced when they laid the bike down. In one case, a couple of inches of mag well were ground off a Sig in a Safariland Level II. The other guy just scuffed up his SERPA. His Glock was fine...didn't explode or anything.

You're not likely to get that kind of retention (and thus protection) with a MTAC.

However, as long as you remain upright and you've got the MTAC adjusted tightly, it should hold on the street. What kind of 'bumps' are you talking about?

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:24:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I use a shoulder holster under my jacket as well.  Conceals great, gives full range of motion, and easy to draw from.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:32:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:34:56 AM EDT
[#12]
3:30 in a MTAC, sample place as normal.  Haven't ccwd much on my dirtbikes though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:41:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Smooth street riding I leave it in my supertuck . Offroad or back and gravel roads I put it in the tank bag.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:45:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Screw that, I hit a major pot hole in Fall River that not only damaged my rim but vaulted my tank bag past me into traffic, I was attempting to retrieve it and onrushing cars kept hitting it. When I finally got a hold of it it was shredded and my phone and camera were in pieces, that said I carry in either an A-holster or Crossbreed and have never had a problem sport bike to dirt bike. I have a tank bag for my Multistrada that uses an aluminum ring that bolts to the gas cap ring as the tank is a non metal fuel cell, its very secure compared to magnets. Magnetic tank bags pick up an amazing amount of metal shards that do a number on your paint also.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:47:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Easy peasy:

(btw I stole that pic)

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:47:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Shoulder holster under jacket.
View Quote

This. I use one of the half-harnesses.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:47:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Chest rig similar to WWII tanker under my jacket (left handed of course... )
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:53:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Never had an issue with my crossbreed, even on bumpy/washboard roads.
However, on longer rides/day trips, I will use a tank bag, since the odds of me dumping the bike are higher than the odds of me using my pistol.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:55:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:56:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Mount a SERPA to your gas cap. (Ha! I did actually see this at a ghetto gas station near my house one morning. Started to get a pic but then thought, "hmm, where's the gun?" GTFO.)
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:00:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Vest with inside CCW pocket.

Or riding jacket (when it's cold enough) and inside CCW pocket.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:05:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Either an IWB holster where I always carry, or in a CCW vest
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:06:50 AM EDT
[#23]
If I use my crossbreed I need to tuck my shirt into it or my jacket rides up and exposes the gun sometimes.
Retention is fine.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:00:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Custom leather  IWB @ 4:00, never had an issue
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:02:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Depends on which bike I'm riding.

Sportbike with tight leather jacket - KelTec P3AT in pocket holster.

Adventure bike or DR650 - Either my M&P in MTAC or throw the P3AT in the tank bag
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:06:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Easy peasy:

[/span]
View Quote

Notice that nobody is tailgating him.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ive carried my fal like that one , took mostly back roads to where I was going so no funny looks .

On tank bags , my wolfman isnt going anywhere .

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:21:19 AM EDT
[#28]
I pocket carried a g26 for years. Loose enough pants make it all but disappear
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:22:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I pocket carried a g26 for years. Loose enough pants make it all but disappear
View Quote

Please tell us you had a pocket holster.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:32:12 AM EDT
[#30]
I normally just use a comptac iwb for my Glock 19, but I'll also run a shoulder holster under my jacket from time to time.

No issues with either.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:33:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Tankbag for me, that way if I fly off of the bike it won't destroy my kidney or lower back.

You never know when you have to lay 'er down in order to save it.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:34:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Screw that, I hit a major pot hole in Fall River that not only damaged my rim but vaulted my tank bag past me into traffic, I was attempting to retrieve it and onrushing cars kept hitting it. When I finally got a hold of it it was shredded and my phone and camera were in pieces, that said I carry in either an A-holster or Crossbreed and have never had a problem sport bike to dirt bike. I have a tank bag for my Multistrada that uses an aluminum ring that bolts to the gas cap ring as the tank is a non metal fuel cell, its very secure compared to magnets. Magnetic tank bags pick up an amazing amount of metal shards that do a number on your paint also.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why you need to have a strap on your tank bag that attaches to your handlebars.  If you don't have a tank bag that has that.. get one that does!

EDIT:  I see you have on that attaches to your gas cap.. those are good too!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:35:42 AM EDT
[#33]
No Holster, never had an issue, YMMV(literally).
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:26:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Some riders do AIWB since that area isn't usually in contact with the ground in a crash.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#35]
1911 in a Crossbreed supertuck with no issues and a TCP in my pocket
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ding, ding!
Best way to carry the phone , loose money, ect.
I can fit a full size P226 ,spare mag, toll money, rags, exerta in mine.
Throw my pistol on when I get where I'm going.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#37]
I usually carry a S&W Shield in my gun pocket( fox creek leather), works well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top