Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2014 3:07:21 PM EDT
Does anyone know of a way that I can use a battery tender that is battery powered?  My bike is in a my storage shed and the old bmw's are a pain in the ass to get the battery out of.  I would prefer to just bring a battery charged tender out and put it on for a while then remove the battery and bring it in and use a conventional style one.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Solar charger?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Solar charger?
View Quote

I thought about that.  Its in a storage shed not sure how easily that would be done.  How long are the cables on those generally?  I was under the impression they were more made for when the bike is sitting outside or a golf cart type deal.

I will look at the shed and the solar chargers online to see if that is a good option.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#3]
battery powered battery charger, now that's funny....
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Just use a conventional 'tender and get a wireless extension cord:
Link

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Link

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/wec.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Get one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/862518/goal-zero-yeti-400-solar-generator

Plug in a battery tender jr.

Just a guess but it seems like it would work for you.  Obviously, charge it up beforehand.

You'll need to take it out once a week and charge it.  I guess that you could deploy the solar panel option and run the line in through a crack in the door.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#8]
RC car battery chargers run off a 12v input and can charge a variety of batteries include lead acid. You can run them off a battery and they will boost the voltage to the appropriate level for charging. They are not a tender for long term usage. But they will juice up a battery if its low.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18066__Turnigy_Accucel_6_50W_6A_Balancer_Charger_w_Accessories_US_Warehouse_.html

FYI you can control charging currant, voltage, etc on these.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#9]
seriously? you do it once a year, just pull the battery out....
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#10]
My battery tender came with a pigtail I can leave on the battery. Then just plug and unplug the tender.

However I pull the battery anyway. The unpowered shed is 10 miles away and that would be a rather awkward extension cord.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My battery tender came with a pigtail I can leave on the battery. Then just plug and unplug the tender.

However I pull the battery anyway. The unpowered shed is 10 miles away and that would be a rather awkward extension cord.
View Quote

I love the pigtail.  I picked up an extra and installed it on my other bike so I can swap the Tender between them.  One bike is easy with the battery under the quick-remove seat, but on the dirt bike you would have to pull the side plastics every time if you used the clamps.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I love the pigtail.  I picked up an extra and installed it on my other bike so I can swap the Tender between them.  One bike is easy with the battery under the quick-remove seat, but on the dirt bike you would have to pull the side plastics every time if you used the clamps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did the same thing on two dirt bikes.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought my kid a KLX 140 a few weeks ago and the damn thing doesn't even have a kick starter.

I made my own pigtail in case I have to use a jump pack.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#15]
lotta good ideas in here thanks.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I bought my kid a KLX 140 a few weeks ago and the damn thing doesn't even have a kick starter.

View Quote

That's my problem.  KLX 250, no kick starter.  You can retrofit one but it takes some work.  If I don't run the bike for a couple weeks it gets real finicky about starting.  Solution:  Ride it to work every Friday when possible.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's my problem.  KLX 250, no kick starter.  You can retrofit one but it takes some work.  If I don't run the bike for a couple weeks it gets real finicky about starting.  Solution:  Ride it to work every Friday when possible.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 2006 KLX250 with 600 miles. I never could get the damn thing to run right from day one.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Link

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/wec.jpg

View Quote

You got me, I was wondering, how the hell did I never hear of this?
Robert Heinlein's (Tesla's?) best idea...
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#19]
What are you going use to "tend" the battery on the rechargable battery tender?

Anyways... If you must do something like this. How about using a generator that starts and stops on a timer?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Another  cordless battery charger. And then another one, to keep THAT one charged.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I hard wired the tender plug to the battery.  Ran the wire up thru a bunch of other crap and have it sitting near my left side handlebar.  In the winter I drag out an extension cord and plug in a battery tender to the bike.  So far, nobody has stolen the tender, or my power.  

Plus I can use the tender plug to run my heated jacket liner.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Ditch the lead/acid battery and pick up an Earth-X.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Best one made been using them for 20 yeas plus. Used on cars bikes lawn equip, really extends battery life. Accept no substitute. Link

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For some stupid reason they are really touchy about having stale gas in the float.   My wife had one ( KLX 250sf ).   Even after a week it would be damn near impossible to start.   Drain the float, let it fill back up and it would fire up almost immediately every fucking time.

I just got the wife to turn the petcock off when she was putting it away in the garage and let it run till it died.   When she wanted to ride it the next time she just had to turn on the petcock before she geared up and it's was ready to go when she hit the button,  never a problem after that..
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
seriously? you do it once a year, just pull the battery out....
View Quote

That's all i got too.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#28]
What model BMW? My last street bike was a 2000 RT. Its been sold for years but as I remember it was a pain to take the battery out. Had to remove the side fairing etc, etc.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What model BMW? My last street bike was a 2000 RT. Its been sold for years but as I remember it was a pain to take the battery out. Had to remove the side fairing etc, etc.
View Quote

04 1150gs  Im gonna pull it out.  Its a pain in the ass to do.  I can hook a tender up without removing the seat.  Taking off the seat means I have to take off one of my side cases and then a bunch of the front of the bike.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I installed a 'cigarette' jack to just back feed the battery...and to use it for GPS/Cell phone.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

04 1150gs  Im gonna pull it out.  Its a pain in the ass to do.  I can hook a tender up without removing the seat.  Taking off the seat means I have to take off one of my side cases and then a bunch of the front of the bike.
View Quote

You mean its just like every other motorcycle out there in the wilds?  

It really isn't that tough, once you do it a couple of times.  

But its a BMW, you prolly pay $400 for an oil change.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#32]

This is the only post that makes sense in here...
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice Tesla Reference.

But, no.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I made my own pigtail in case I have to use a jump pack.
View Quote

I never really understood why people complain about not having a kickstarter. My bike's battery was dead a couple weeks ago.. Put it in 2nd gear, ran down the street next to it while popping the clutch... Voila' it starts. Especially easy with dual sports or dirt type bikes. Doesn't work so hot with an 800lb monstrosity, but for most bikes it works fine. A hill makes it even easier.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

uh no I don't have a dealer close and even if there was one I don't know why you would have the dealer change your oil unless it was included for some reason.  My honda you would pull off the seat and pop out the battery.
Top Top