Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2005 8:04:18 AM EDT
Is this for real? Unregistered arsenal? m-15? hundreds of round? born to kill? WTF?

I think someone needs to be ARFedumacated.

I think this "arrest" needs to be looked into as well....

wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=31189
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 8:10:15 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is this for real? Unregistered arsenal? m-15? hundreds of round? born to kill? WTF?

I think someone needs to be ARFedumacated.

I think this "arrest" needs to be looked into as well....

wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=31189

Doesn't some county or city in OH have an AWB in effect??? where did this take place, not familiar with OH as far as city locals and such.
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#3]
it's right next to me...nothing I was aware of.  Hope they see my "Arsenal" someday.
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Typical.  Now, the unlicensed CCW charge I could see and the drug paraphenalia charge I could see.  There is no gun registration required in Ohio except for a few cities and I don't think Chagrin Falls is one of them.  I could be wrong.  In any event, the only felony might be unlicensed CCW, but they would have to prove it.  This is a function of shabby reporting and sensationalism.  His target shooting argument would hold water in most areas of Ohio, but Chagrin Falls is in the Bedford municipal court district and the judge is a devout anti.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know how all that worked out down there because no county or city here can ban shit as far as guns goes thanks to our pre-emption law. but I know it's different all over the place.
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Drug paraphanalia?
What, did he have a coke can?
Maybe a syrange to inject everclear into fruit.
Civil liberties, do they remain anymore?
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#6]
No, this article doesn't have as much thrusts per squeeze.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Drug paraphanalia?

Maybe he had a glow stick in his emergency tool kit or bottled water. Those are looked for in connection with ecstacy these days.
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 8:45:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I would imagine the M-15 is an Armalite M-15?  I just don't get why they go on and on about them being "unregistered".  WTF does that mean?
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#9]

email sent

[email protected]
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I just sent him an email (the reporter) lets see what he says about more of the details...
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#11]
lol

Remind me never to get caught speeding in Ohio.  What is in the back of my vehicle would make this seem tame by comparison!

Link Posted: 3/3/2005 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#12]
wonder how it went down hill from the police just "approaching" him to finding all that stuff in his truck. Was he stupid enough to consent to a search?
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#13]
The "Born to Kill" thing just tells me he likes Full Metal Jacket. I laughed when I read that.  People get worried over the silliest things these days.

The reporting is awful, and the reporter seems lazy. My favorite part of the article: "Given his arsenal of unregistered weapons, police say if he wanted to, Beggin could have caused serious damage and injury."

Yup. If those weapons were registered, his ability to cause serious damage and injury would be mitigated. Heh. I love how 3 guns and hundreds of rounds constitutes an arsenal. Hell, I burn at least 300 rounds every time I go to the range.

Any word on whether or not registration is required in Chagrin Falls? I'm also curious why he was pulled over in the first place (not that it matters, but I'm curious).
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#14]
here's what I sent:

I just read this "article" and would like to know a few things:

http://wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=31189

"CHAGRIN FALLS -- A Chagrin Falls man is in jail Wednesday night, after police found, among other things, an arsenal of unregistered weapons and hundreds of rounds of ammunition in his truck.

One gun found is an M-15 - another is a 12-gauge shotgun - both, police say, are un-registered. A .45 found was unregistered too."

You mention several times that these weapons are "unregistered".  What exactly does that mean?  Ohio has no firearms registration law and I can't find a city ordinance to that effect either, so what exactly do you mean by "unregistered"?  Being a bit sensationalistic and loose with the truth there aren't we?  Further what exactly is an M-15?  The only thing I can think of is an Armalite model m-15 which is a variant of the AR-15 semi-automatic rifle.  12 gage shotguns are the single most common hunting long gun in the world.  What kind of .45 was found?  1911 semi-auto?  1875 cap and ball revolver?  What?  

What exactly is the big deal about having "hundreds of rounds of ammunition"?  I typically take around 800 rounds of ammunition out with me for an afternoon of shooting.  

What is the point of this line which essentially says nothing: "We don’t have pictures of the camouflage gear, military flack jacket and helmet with the line “born to kill,” but police do."  If he had these items so what?  Which of them are illegal?  Is there a point here that you are trying to make?

You then go on in the article to show that this man said he was going target shooting, you say he has a clean record, is a great employee and everyone around thinks he's just swell.  At the end you close with what he's charged with:  2 misdemeanors.  Again I have to ask:  What exactly is the point of your article?  Do you often do reports about people being arrested and charged with 2 misdemeanors?  Could it be that you have a hidden and unstated anti-gun agenda in this lurid and simply put, poorly done piece of yellow "journalism?"

sincerely,

Jeff Warembourg
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#15]
OK unregistered handgun and drug stuff I can see. The rest isn't  illegal unless the city or township has ordinances  prohibiting these other items.  Man they would go nuts seeing what most of us here have I would imagine.  Funny this guy had all these guns and never hurt anyone with em.
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I have not recieved a response yet...do not think i will either.

Link Posted: 3/3/2005 10:10:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Drug paraphanalia?

Maybe he had a glow stick in his emergency tool kit or bottled water. Those are looked for in connection with ecstacy these days.

Damn so I should throw out all the old glow sticks I find in the car from night disc golfing so that if I get pulled over they won't think I'm an x user or something.....

And that 800 rounds thing,Man thats a slow day at the range. I shot that saturday out of just my AR that don't include the pistols, uzi, AK.
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Well they would drop dead of shock if they ever caught me heading to the range  

Hundreds of rounds....   that's cute.
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I wonder just what exactly was the drug paraphenalia?
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#20]
My letter to the idiot:

Mr. Chris Tye,

I read your article entitled "Police find arsenal of unregistered weapons local man's truck", and to be honest I don't know whether to laugh or cry. It is plain to anyone who is mildly familiar with the firearms laws in the state of Ohio, that there is no method in place for the registration of firearms. But your story wouldn't sound anywhere near as dramatic if you mentioned that fact now would it? Unfortunately, you could not even focus on the actual laws that were broken, you had to focus on non-existent laws that were not broken! Do I smell and agenda here? I wonder why a immigrant from the ultra left wing gun free uthopia of Chicago would go to such great lengths to work up a panic over a phoney gun regsitration violation? You sir are not a journalist, you are a conartist. You peddle sensational stories in the same way that carpet baggers used to peddle their elixers. You cry wolf in the town square, when there are no wolves for miles around. People are not as stupid as you believe. You may be able to fool some of the people some of the time, but the rest of us will expose you for the fraud that you are.

With Regards,

Motown_steve

Link Posted: 3/3/2005 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#21]
The article sounds like it was written by a 1st grader.  The typos and grammatical failings leave me amazed someone actually published this.
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#22]
We don’t have pictures of the camouflage gear, military flack jacket and helmet with the line “born to kill,” but police do.

I wonder if it had a peace symbol on it too.  You know, the duality of man, the Jungian thing.

Link Posted: 3/3/2005 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#23]
My e-mail

Mr. Chris Tye,

I just read your article entitled "Police find arsenal of unregistered weapons local man's truck". You have just confirmed every stereotype that is placed on you by "Red State" Americans, and gun owners. You write as if registration is normal and required, when it is not. This is typical misinformation being reported as "news". But your inability to write "news" without adding a lot of misinformation tells me more about the lack of ethics in the "reporter" than what he is "reporting".

What does this line mean: "One gun found is an M-15 - another is a 12-gauge shotgun - both, police say, are un-registered. A .45 found was unregistered too."

Do you know what an M-15 is? Is it some kind of mix between an AR-15 and M16. Are you so ill informed that you don't know but so arrogant that you think you are smarter than everybody else and nobody will question your "reporting".

The classic line "We don’t have pictures of the camouflage gear, military flack jacket and helmet with the line “born to kill,” but police do." translates to the skeptic: "I don't have evidence, but I'll toss about scary sounding information anyway because I'm a hack."

Only a hack would turn 2 misdemeanors into "Police find arsenal of unregistered weapons local man's truck"

When it is time for you to write something real, compelling, and will make a difference in the world, why should I believe you when you report it? You have not earned my trust, only a pathetic paycheck, which anybody can get.

With Sincere Contempt:
Ghengiskhabb

Link Posted: 3/3/2005 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's my E-mail letter to this ...... person. He sure as heck isn't a reporter.

Mr. Tye,
I read your article “Police find arsenal of unregistered weapons local man's truck” posted 03/02/05 and find it extremely misleading. Indeed, what you wrote fits the textbook definition of “Yellow Journalism”.

There is no provision in Ohio to register rifles, shotguns or handguns. Given this, these firearms cannot be registered, even if the owner wanted to register them. So this “unregistered” statement is true even while it is very misleading. What you write leads readers to believe registration is required by law when it is in fact impossible to do under state law.

Going to the range to shoot a couple rounds of Sporting Clays involves at least one hundred rounds of ammunition. Sensationalizing the story by citing “hundreds of rounds” leads readers to believe this is unusual and quite possibly illegal when it is neither.

Your characterization of one rifle, one shotgun and one pistol as an “arsenal” is also quite misleading. It is not an arsenal under any definition of law, nor is it an arsenal under any common understanding.

Drug paraphernalia – you give no useful information about this. The phrase brings up images of water pipes, bongs, needles, hash pipes and the like. I’ll wager that none of these were found and an innocent pack of cigarette rolling papers was the sum total of the “drug paraphernalia” that was found. Apparently no actual drugs were found, though this is not clearly stated.

Concealed weapon – you also give no useful information about this. Was he carrying it illegally on his person? Was it merely inside his truck rather than the non-existent trunk?

Chris, what information you do give is misleading. You omit so many critical areas of information that your story is useless for anything but propaganda.
This is what your story tells me  Chris Tye: Yellow journalist with an anti-gun agenda.

Regards,
<my name>

....stupid putz!    
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 12:16:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I would imagine the M-15 is an Armalite M-15?  I just don't get why they go on and on about them being "unregistered".  WTF does that mean?

The vast majority of firearms in this country are not required to be registered.

Therefore the media technically has it right, it's unregistered. But they spin it up to make it sound bad.

I'd rather have an unregistered firearm than an unregistered motor vehicle. I might have to pay a fine if I get caught driving without license plates, but nobody ever comes up to me at a range to "check registration" on my guns. (They're not required to be)
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#26]
"police say if he wanted to, Beggin could have caused serious damage and injury."

This comment sums up the reason for the attack on freedom that is being waged by liberals and police.

As we know, anybody with a book of matches and the will can inflict "serious damage and injury"
 But how the hell can we get THEM to understand it?    
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I figure I'll bring this back from the dead for a moment... I know this guy, he works with a friend of mine.
There was another article in the local paper recently, he did consent to a search, they found an empty pipe, and a loaded Kimber 1911 that I talked to him about a couple months ago, which is actually illegal to have in the car, but I think he'd have to be driving the car with the loaded gun for it to be illegal.

Police are tipped off to arsenal in truck
By Barbara Christian

A local pizza delivery man was not carrying pies in his truck when he was arrested behind an office building at 34 s. Main St. around 1:30 a.m. February 28th. Chagrin Falls police said hey found guns, ammunition, and drug paraphernalia in a search of Robert T. Biggin's pickup truck.

Police say they had been alerted by a business owner about strange cars parked there.

When an officer arrived, police said, there was one car with its motor running and the pickup truck. Mr. Biggin, 26, of Orchard Street, had arrived at about the same time and told the officer he had been visiting the house next door, police said.

Police said officers at the scene became suspicious because of attempts to block their view of the inside of the truck.

During questioning about a search of his person, police said, Mr. Biggin told them he had a folding knife, which was confiscated.

Police said consent was granted for a search of the truck. Officers found a case containing a loaded .45-caliber gun identified as a Kimber Custom model with one round in the chamber and seven rounds in the magazine. A shotgun was located, as well as a lighter and pipe containing residue, police said.

He was arrested and charged with carrying a concealed weapon, having a weapon under disability and possession of drug paraphernalia. The "disability" portion of the charge is related to drugs or alcohol. The truck was towed. Listed among the items found are a semiautomatic rifle and case, a 12-gauge assault shotgun, camouflage pants with belt and holster, a bandolier with shotgun shells, a U.S. Marine Corps "fighting knife," military body armor with shock plate, steel helmet with camouflage cover, face paint, a helmet with "born to kill" on it and an Ed Gein Club button, knapsack with gas mask, a bag containing clothing, gun cleaning supplies, grappling hook, bayonet, binoculars, flares, first-aid equipment, compass, a Smith and Wesson SWAT knife and several types of ammunition.

Megan LaGatta, manager of the Zeppe's Pizza, where Mr. Biggin is employed, described him as "a great guy, very nice, sensitive and harmless."

"He would never try to hurt anyone and I have never seen him angry," she said, "He will have his job back, and I wouldn't do that if I thought he was dangerous."

Miss LaGatta, daughter of former Chagrin Falls Police Chief Lester LaGatta, said she and others who worked with Mr. Biggin were aware of his gun hobby and that he attended a gun or shooting school.

Police said Mr. Biggin had no criminal record.

A man and woman at the scene or the arrest who were at the same South Main Street residence were released after explaining their car was running to get it warm.

In questioning, Mr. Biggin, police said, they were told he had planned to go to a target range but decided against it when the weather changed.

A search warrant was obtained for Mr. Biggin's room at the Orchard Street residence. Police described the room as bare to the studs with a tent set up inside.

Mr. Biggin's bond was set at $26,000, and he remained in Bedford Heights Jail waiting a video arraignment early this week. A preliminary hearing was set for Wednesday afternoon.

Chagrin falls is a discustingly liberal, expensive as hell place filled with lots of small century homes and tons of assholes driving Audis, BMWs or Land Rovers, many plastered with John Kerry stickers.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#29]
an assault shotgun

thats the first time i have ever heard that term
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Anybody read the "Writers" profile?

I wonder if he would be upset if the head line read

"Golfer arrested on charges after the police find an unregistered arsenal of clubs and over a dozen balls in his vehicle".  Police say "He could have causes serious damage and destruction with those clubs."  Also found were sun glasses alowing him to see his victom better and a Laser range finder.

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The article sounds like it was written by a 1st grader.  The typos and grammatical failings leave me amazed someone actually published this.

My thoughts exactly.  It gave me a headache just reading it.  That article would have received an F in a middle school English/journalism class.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#32]
He is only being charged with carrying a conceald weapon and "drug paraphenalia". The Article made much ado about nothing with those crazy M-15s and shotguns. Sounds like some liberal got a little excited with her journalistic freedom.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:56:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Hundred of rounds of ammuntions,  Piffffffffffttttt I hate for them to see my ammo closet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top