Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 11/13/2017 5:08:20 PM EDT
Update 11/22: Belgium authorities declare loot boxes to be gambling. http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/11/21/belgiums-gaming-commission-has-declared-that-lootboxes-are-gambling.aspx?utm_content=buffer781c6&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Update 11/16 at 9pm: EA has removed micro transactions all together! https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/11/16/ea-has-removed-star-wars-battlefront-2s-microstransactions-hours-before-launch/#73296d3b1d64

Yesterday, EA responded on Reddit about why gamers have to pay extra money in-game just to unlock hero characters in their new game. It seems the consumer base for video games has had enough of micro transactions and loot-box progression systems, and are successfully boycotting EA's new game.

EA's comment is currently at 435,476 down votes.

Screenshot before it inevitably disappears:

Attachment Attached File

Link to thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cff0b/seriously_i_paid_80_to_have_vader_locked/
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The boycott of EA is going to show up in their bottom line any day now.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#2]

EA being EA.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:11:34 PM EDT
[#3]
looks locked already...
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#4]
The comment has disappeared while I was making this thread!

I might be the owner of the last screenshot of that comment lol
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#5]
EA: Ruining video game franchises for 30 years
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It seems the consumer base for video games has had enough of micro transactions and loot-box progression systems, and are successfully boycotting EA's new game.
View Quote

That'd be nice, but downvoting shit on reddit and convincing enough people to not buy the game to make EA notice are two different things.

I bet the game sells just fine.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
But every time a new EA game is released kids can't keep from buying it, and they know it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
All the sports ball game player lovers will prevent that from ever happening.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
EA: Ruining video game franchises for 30 years
View Quote
This, I'm through with them, there are plenty of alternatives available now.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I do my damned best to not buy games by EA.

This tactic of not releasing full games or holding back content for an expansion goes back to the days of Battlefield 2 when they came out with stupid mini expansions.

Microtransactions evolved after the MMORPG farming for gold showed there was money in it with damn Chinese selling items and gold on ebay.

Gaming has taken a turn for the worse over the past 8-10 years.   Even single player games have the bullshit now like Shadow Of War.   You really dont need to use the premium currency AT ALL but it is there for whatever sucker is dumb enough to pay for it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#11]
There is a reason why EA is consistently voted "Worst videogame developer."

If it wasn't for their shit Origins service that trys to emulate Steam, I would own the new Need For Speed.

Can't get it on Steam = Not going to buy it.

Fuck you, EA.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That'd be nice, but downvoting shit on reddit and convincing enough people to not buy the game to make EA notice are two different things.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It seems the consumer base for video games has had enough of micro transactions and loot-box progression systems, and are successfully boycotting EA's new game.

We can only hope and try. The 2nd highest trending thread on Reddit right now: https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/7cog1u/can_we_please_boycott_star_wars_battlefront_2/
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The comment has disappeared while I was making this thread!

I might be the owner of the last screenshot of that comment lol
View Quote
Its still there. Thread is locked though.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#14]
The beta Gameplay was worse than the original game.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#15]
EA sucks.

Most software Devs know this as well. . . I will have to scroll through their glassdoor ratings when I get a chance
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#16]
First they get your attention...then your $$$$$
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#17]
All games are like this now... a big turn off.  You practically have to spend $150 to get a full game nowadays.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#18]
One reality is that game costs are going up while the prices has been flat for nearly a decade.

But maybe they should try and trim fat in places. Too many Hollywood celebrities these days who probably command a higher salary than a voice actor. And far, far too many marketing types trying to figure out what metrics they can use to squeeze a few bucks out of something. This just results in games being cancelled, redone, development dragging on and whatnot. Sometimes it is best to let the creative types figure out what works and what has not been done and it will probably sell.

Quoted:
EA sucks.

Most software Devs know this as well. . . I will have to scroll through their glassdoor ratings when I get a chance
View Quote
My understanding is that the pay is decent and the benefits are good. If you are a creative type you may be unsatisfied. But they have dozens of managers, marketing types who know nothing about games (it is a selling point, you don't have to know shit about games to work for us). I imagine the perks are better for them. The actual game devs who get shuffled between studios and projects may not have the same opinion.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just like the not GOTY of Fallout 4. Breaks the model of having all game content on the disc but it's still continuing to sell.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Microtransactions are turning into complete bullshit. BTW have y'all heard about Activision's recent patent.

http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/how-activision-uses-matchmaking-tricks-to-sell-in-game-items-w509288

"In a particular example, the junior player may wish to become an expert sniper in a game (e.g., as determined from the player profile)," according to the patent. "The microtransaction engine may match the junior player with a player that is a highly skilled sniper in the game. In this manner, the junior player may be encouraged to make game-related purchases such as a rifle or other item used by the marquee player. "

The system can also drop players into matches that will make use of an in-game-related purchase, according to the patent.

"Doing so may enhance a level of enjoyment by the player for the game-related purchase, which may encourage future purchases," according to the patent. "For example, if the player purchased a particular weapon, the microtransaction engine may match the player in a gameplay session in which the particular weapon is highly effective, giving the player an impression that the particular weapon was a good purchase. This may encourage the player to make future purchases to achieve similar gameplay results."
View Quote
Basically noobs will be matched against players with unlocks to encourage the noob to buy shit, and once they buy shit they will be matched against those that don't have anything so you can pwn them for a bit.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Congrats on losing money because of PR EA!
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Stuff like this is exactly why I haven't been buying new games or playing as much.

Why would I buy a game without all of its content? Thats stupid to me.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Microtransactions are turning into complete bullshit. BTW have y'all heard about Activision's recent patent.

http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/how-activision-uses-matchmaking-tricks-to-sell-in-game-items-w509288

Basically noobs will be matched against players with unlocks to encourage the noob to buy shit, and once they buy shit they will be matched against those that don't have anything so you can pwn them for a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

"In a particular example, the junior player may wish to become an expert sniper in a game (e.g., as determined from the player profile)," according to the patent. "The microtransaction engine may match the junior player with a player that is a highly skilled sniper in the game. In this manner, the junior player may be encouraged to make game-related purchases such as a rifle or other item used by the marquee player. "

The system can also drop players into matches that will make use of an in-game-related purchase, according to the patent.

"Doing so may enhance a level of enjoyment by the player for the game-related purchase, which may encourage future purchases," according to the patent. "For example, if the player purchased a particular weapon, the microtransaction engine may match the player in a gameplay session in which the particular weapon is highly effective, giving the player an impression that the particular weapon was a good purchase. This may encourage the player to make future purchases to achieve similar gameplay results."
Not just matched against, but matched with, still manipulation is manipulation.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I’m sticking with 16-bit.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yesterday, EA responded on Reddit about why gamers have to pay extra money in-game just to unlock hero characters in their new game. It seems the consumer base for video games has had enough of micro transactions and loot-box progression systems, and are successfully boycotting EA's new game.

EA's comment is currently at 435,476 down votes.

Screenshot before it inevitably disappears:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/394169/711D6C8C-E9C8-4A92-8CF1-4A077AFFF7F0-361788.JPG

Link to thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cff0b/seriously_i_paid_80_to_have_vader_locked/
View Quote
Why does the EA response have 43 "golds" though? Is that so the comment doesn't disappear with all the 446k downvotes?
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
First they get your attention...then your $$$$$
View Quote
You don't have to give them extra $$$$ that is already on the disc. You will have to invest a lot of hours into the game though. How much? About close to 171 hours of MP gameplay to unlock all the heroes. Somebody did the calculation.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iidE0zYPjtIIK-qb4sdiXBiXK3YGzq4tDNuNKosPdhQ/edit#gid=0
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I see no comment. 

ETA: For those not familiar with Reddit (like me) click on EA Response to see what they posted. 
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a huge Star Wars nerd and was seriously thinking about buying this. I didn't buy the first because of similar shenanigans. Oh well
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Boycott must not be working.  I just tried buying the Xbox One S bundle (with 2 free games) from Microsoft, and the game is sold out already.  It was available in the deal on Saturday when I first looked.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#30]
LOL, people buy the bullshit anyway. People complain and complain, yet the game companies keep doing it because they are making money.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm happy with the old battlefront on xbone.  No need for the new one.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought the last SW Battlefront. That was a huge mistake, and I knew it within 10 minutes of starting the game.

I used to buy games without even reading the reviews. I'm done with that.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I blame Apple and it's Iphone IOS.  This shit all started with apps in the app store on the iphone.  Apple developed the API to allow this to happen in order to attract more game devs to the platform.  Companies learned people were stupid enough to buy stuff in app.  It became a viral infection after that.  Infecting every game system and developer.

At some point it will be normal for people to buy the demo for $60 and you need to shovel another $60 to make it playable.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
LOL, people buy the bullshit anyway. People complain and complain, yet the game companies keep doing it because they are making money.
View Quote
Yep, a lot of straw has been whipped around, care to guess which will be last?
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#35]
EA was a customer of a company I worked for in the early 90's. I used to go down to their main office in San Mateo (back then) and it always amazed me. They had a nice office, ergonomic seating, things like free soda and snacks (before most companies did that), and colorful surroundings.

But the minute you walked in the place there was, for lack of a better way to describe it, a palpable sense of bad karma. All the employees seemed pissed off and desperate. Just a bad vibe. Later, I learned that they treated their employees like shit. Worked them to death like Steve Jobs worked his people at Apple. A high stress environment that the developers accepted just so they could get EA on their resume.

From the receptionist to the VP's, everyone was tired and pissed off. And this was between game releases! It was their SOP all year. Insane way to run a business. The employees were all pissed off and hated the place.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Someone online did the math. To unlock all heroes and all their perks/items/skins, would be over one million credits, which would take approximately 732 hours of game play to earn.

This whole thing is ridiculous. 40 hours of game play PER hero you want to unlock. Heroes that came unlocked in the last Battlefront, and should be standard.

It's like paying $60 for a 007 game and finding out you have to play for 40 hours before you can play as James Bond.

EA is such garbage.

Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I broke my no EA rule for Mass Effect Andromeda, I knew it would be shit but I loved the original and I caved. It was an even bigger pile of shit then I could have imagined. Fuck EA, never again.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Lol fuck that game.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Someone online did the math. To unlock all heroes and all their perks/items/skins, would be over one million credits, which would take approximately 732 hours of game play to earn.

This whole thing is ridiculous. 40 hours of game play PER hero you want to unlock. Heroes that came unlocked in the last Battlefront, and should be standard.

It's like paying $60 for a 007 game and finding out you have to play for 40 hours before you can play as James Bond.

EA is such garbage.

https://i.imgur.com/ndAyLQK.jpg
View Quote
Ya know I would even be just fine with these perks and heros being unlockables taking a long time and a lot of effort to obtain, it gives you a goal and a sense of accomplishment when you finally get one, as long as other people can't just pay to unlock them instantly. Its just a greedy cash grab to do it this way and they know it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#41]
As a young person who works a job every weekday, bullshit like microtransactions has impacted the amount I play games. I want a game to be fun. I want to put it in and play. I don't want to wait on it to download more things, or have to pay more money. I just want to play the whole game without any bullshit. I know I'm not the only one.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Ya know I would even be just fine with these perks and heros being unlockables taking a long time and a lot of effort to obtain, it gives you a goal and a sense of accomplishment when you finally get one, as long as other people can't just pay to unlock them instantly. Its just a greedy cash grab to do it this way and they know it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EA is such garbage.

Kind of like how the old Catholic Church sold indulgences:

Priest: "Want to lie or screw your neighbor's wife and not burn in hell? That'll be 300 ducats!"
Rich guy: "Cool. thanks!"
Poor guy: "Hey, what about me?"
Priest: "For you, 10,000 Hail Mary's and 200 hours of self-flagellation."
Poor guy:

Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I haven't been excited for a new video game release in years. Haven't bought much too. I used to mind time sinks, but now they seem to get longer and longer with convenient "Pay us a lot of money" shortcuts. EA talks about how rewarding it is, but how exactly is something rewarding when you can just throw a credit card at the screen and bypass it all?
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EA is such garbage.

There is rewarding/sense of accomplishment, and then there is insanity.

Requiring over 700 hours to unlock all heroes and hero related items falls into the second category.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Recent development within the past hour: EA has lowered the in-game cost of unlocking the heroes...

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/swbfii-changes-launch
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Requiring over 700 hours to unlock all heroes and hero related items falls into the second category.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EA is such garbage.

It probably takes that long to research one tank line in War Thunder.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Recent development within the past hour: EA has lowered the in-game cost of unlocking the heroes...

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/swbfii-changes-launch
View Quote
Don’t care. Not buying.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EA is such garbage.

I remember playing either Bad Company 2 or BF3 for months, unlocking most of the gear, then EA decided to just offer every unlockable for $20 to get newbies to buy the game.  That was fun.

Bottom line is that this model is the new normal, and game developers realize that our choice is to either deal with it or stop gaming.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#49]
This is why I very, VERY rarely buy "AAA" games these days. Plenty of good stuff on Steam from small developers that will actually listen to you.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Former EA CEO on microtransactions. Sad to hear they picked up respawn  (formerly infinity ward).

EA CEO John Riccitiello On Gaming Microtransactions
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top