Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/1/2019 3:30:17 PM EDT
Anyone else floating their rate right now?  What do you think the next few weeks look like in terms of upward or downward trends?

My lock period just started today (60 days from close) and of course rates spiked upward this morning.  I was looking at 4.0% with no extra fees on Friday, now it’s 4.0% or 4.125% both with fees, or 4.25% with lender credit.

I was willing to float a bit with a wait-and-see approach, but on Day 1 I got just about the biggest jump I care to tolerate.  Not feeling like I want to hang around longer for an even bigger D in the A.

Your thoughts on the trends?  Someone tell me I can hold on for a bit and see something below 4.0%.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#1]
"pigs get slaughtered"

when mortgages rates are well below any rational long-term average, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

remember the 70s.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Let me check my magic 8ball to confirm.  I work at a credit union and since 4th quarter of last year rates have been going up.  I hope that trend changes, but I'm not so sure.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"pigs get slaughtered"

when mortgages rates are well below any rational long-term average, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

remember the 70s.
View Quote
Thats only one half of the equation, savings and CDs were also earning 10% +
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I fucking locked in at 4.625 4 months ago because the fucking Fed Reserve was threatning to raise rates and yadda yadda. Wish i coukld have gotten 4.0 mother fuckers.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wonder how many took advantage of it though? Look at the debt threads we have here.

10% in savings is kinda meaningless when people have minimal savings.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"pigs get slaughtered"

remember the 70s.
Only if there is an equal amount in savings.  $100k house requires $100k in CDs bearing the interest to wash it out.

It never works that way.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Let me check my magic 8ball to confirm.  I work at a credit union and since 4th quarter of last year rates have been going up.  I hope that trend changes, but I'm not so sure.
View Quote
@Aubie1

But what’s this I’ve been reading all over online that mortgage rates have been declining this year and that the last Fed announcement was going to apply more downward pressure?  You’re saying you believe the current trend is upward?
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes lock at 4% I got 3.7 fixed when I built my house three years ago. I don't see rates getting any cheaper unless you have a huge down payment.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@Aubie1

But what's this I've been reading all over online that mortgage rates have been declining this year and that the last Fed announcement was going to apply more downward pressure?  You're saying you believe the current trend is upward?
View Quote
I don't think anyone really knows.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes lock at 4% I got 3.7 fixed when I built my house three years ago. I don't see rates getting any cheaper unless you have a huge down payment.
View Quote
I’d bet the fed drops rates In the next 12 months. That’s not going to help OP, but Id still consider it soon.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was 3.875 about 18 months ago.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#13]
3.5% here. We're good.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
3.5% here. We're good.
View Quote
That's what I got august 17. I've been toying with the idea of upsizing my land, but I'm fixated on that 3.5%. It would kill me to go to 4% even though that still really good all things considered. It could be worse, like my parents who got 15% in 1985 and they thought that was good lol
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I fucking locked in at 4.625 4 months ago because the fucking Fed Reserve was threatning to raise rates and yadda yadda. Wish i coukld have gotten 4.0 mother fuckers.
View Quote
I got locked in at 4.375 in 2017 when I closed because they were raising the rates. When I started the buying process it was at 4.0 by the time I closed three fucking months later it was at 4.375.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#16]
In all the bickering over 4.0% versus 4.1% versus 3.85%, just remember that those are all quite low compared to the late 70s/early 80s, when 18% mortgages were real.  Fed could just as easily raise rates ahead of 2020 election to hurt the stock market.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

In all the bickering over 4.0% versus 4.1% versus 3.85%, just remember that those are all quite low compared to the late 70s/early 80s, when 18% mortgages were real.  Fed could just as easily raise rates ahead of 2020 election to hurt the stock market.
View Quote
Yes, but I’m not buying a home in the 70’s and the difference between 4.0% and 4.25% isn’t zero...
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#18]
This week's drop was the biggest in years.
But I'm already sitting at 3.1, so it's unlikely I'll be needing or wanting to do anything anytime soon.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes, but I'm not buying a home in the 70's and the difference between 4.0% and 4.25% isn't zero...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but I'm not buying a home in the 70's and the difference between 4.0% and 4.25% isn't zero...
What's the amount for and the duration?

Did you price out rates and payments over 15,20,30 year?
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exact same scenario for me. Sub 4 is amazing and I wouldn’t expect that anytime soon. I’d lock.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I’d bet the fed drops rates In the next 12 months. That’s not going to help OP, but Id still consider it soon.
View Quote
This is HIGHLY unlikely.  They may not raise them again, but it would take a drastic change in policy for them to actually lower rates.

OP you probably won't see a better rate than 4 in the near term.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#22]
We are 3 years in on 30 year at 4.125% and was looking at going down to 20 year. Rates on the 20 year were good at 3.75% but the points made it a no go.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#23]
The Fed rate has little to nothing to do with long term mortgage rates.  Keep an eye on what the 10 year treasury is doing and that will give you a better idea what direction rates are headed.  It closed at 2.414 on Friday, end of business today its at 2.4970, that's fairly significant.  I think we hit a low of 2.36ish on Wednesday of last week.  Rates had been going down the last two weeks...I got at least two rate increase notifications from every lender I work with today.  I'd say go a head and lock in right now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"pigs get slaughtered"

remember the 70s.
Wages is the other piece of the equation compared to CPI
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Waiting for my builder to get all the permits approved so we can schedule a dig date and we can get locked. Hoping I can get 4 or under. Should hopefully be this week as we are almost at 4 weeks of waiting
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#26]
When I started my refi I was looking at 4% but didn't sign my letter of intent because I wanted to wait a couple of months and pay down my principal a bit more to lower my payment. Ended up getting 4.25% because rates went up on me. Seeing 4% the other day annoyed me for like 5 minutes but I was more disappointed that I let get to 4.25% in the first place. At the time the fed was forecasting rate hikes and I didn't listen. If I were in your shoes I would refi now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#27]
When i bought my house in 2015, it was predicted that rates would go up, i got locked in at 3.125% and have seen them creep up.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Literally just locked in my rate at 4.15$
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I’m at 3.95

I’m gonna refinance during the next shit show
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Same for me. I got pre qual’d for 4.0 in September and found a house in December. The rate jumped to 4.6.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#31]
What is this mortgage you speak of?
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Lock.  I don't think this is a hard question.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#33]
3.5% on a 15 year here back on 5/17
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Bump for the 8pm crowd
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
When i bought my house in 2015, it was predicted that rates would go up, i got locked in at 3.125% and have seen them creep up.
View Quote
Almost the same for me in 2016.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#36]
3.0% for a 15yr refi Jan 2018.   I think I hit the bottom.   It cut 7 years off current mortgage and about 40k in interest.   Only raised my payment $140 bucks a month.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm really psyched for all you guys who got super rates thanks to President Taft's "bootstrap program," but we're taking about current trends in mortgage rates in the short term.

They dropped like a stone about 2 weeks ago and now may be shooting up fast.  Wondering if I should wait it out and take a huge, hard one in the keister later on, or to lock in now and be loved tenderly right in the fart box today.

Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:09:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm really psyched for all you guys who got super rates thanks to President Taft's "bootstrap program," but we're taking about current trends in mortgage rates in the short term.

They dropped like a stone about 2 weeks ago and now may be shooting up fast.  Wondering if I should wait it out and take a huge, hard one in the keister later on, or to lock in now and be loved tenderly right in the fart box today.

https://i.postimg.cc/bJ4xrYLs/Screen-Shot-2019-04-01-at-8-56-21-PM.png
View Quote
You didn't answer my question from earlier. Are you only looking at 30year? Or did you get rates/fees for 20 and 15 as well?
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#39]
If you find current rates attractive and/or doable; lock them in.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#40]
A bird in the hand......
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You didn't answer my question from earlier. Are you only looking at 30year? Or did you get rates/fees for 20 and 15 as well?
View Quote
30 year mortgage only.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#42]
My mortgage is 4.125. Made me sad that I couldnt get it down into the 3s when we bought. Probably could have if we had rate shopped around a bit more but ehhh fuck it.
Mare me feel a little better when my uncle literally called me a liar when I told him my rate.
He bought back in the day when teens was the norm and felt like he got a good deal when he was able to refinance for an even ten percent 20 some years ago.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:27:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
30 year mortgage only.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
30 year mortgage only.
Would 20 be possible? You'll probably find a better rate too.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#44]
The fed doesn’t really know what the economy is doing, they crashed the stock market in dec due to that 4th rate hike and now they are saying global growth is slowing and they won’t be doing any tightening this year and may even cut

The bond market is signaling a slow down / possible recession and that’s why the 10 year crashed in March with the slightly inverted yield curve. Mortgage rates are based on the 10 yr bond

But no one really knows and any one months data could change the sentiment , I think the economy is fine and rates will start eeking back up after this 1st qtr is over.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you cannot handle a 0.15% increase in interest rates before you lock in, you are not financially stable enough to buy a house.

If you cannot handle a 0.15% decrease in interest rates after you lock in, you are not emotionally stable enough to buy a house.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This is HIGHLY unlikely.  They may not raise them again, but it would take a drastic change in policy for them to actually lower rates.
View Quote
I’d put a pmag on that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If you cannot handle a 0.15% increase in interest rates before you lock in, you are not financially stable enough to buy a house.

If you cannot handle a 0.15% decrease in interest rates after you lock in, you are not emotionally stable enough to buy a house.
View Quote
On $300,000 that's $10,000 over 30 years. That probably wouldn't stop someone but who wants to pay more than they have to? But I agree with your point that if that's a deal breaker then it's not the house for you.

Also why I mentioned the 20 year. Using the same $300,000 (and OP never mentioned the amount). If someone can put an extra $350 or so per month and get a slightly better rate they're looking at nearly $90,000 less in interest, which is significant.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

In all the bickering over 4.0% versus 4.1% versus 3.85%, just remember that those are all quite low compared to the late 70s/early 80s, when 18% mortgages were real..
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
On $300,000 that's $10,000 over 30 years. That probably wouldn't stop someone but who wants to pay more than they have to? But I agree with your point that if that's a deal breaker then it's not the house for you.

Also why I mentioned the 20 year. Using the same $300,000 (and OP never mentioned the amount). If someone can put an extra $350 or so per month and get a slightly better rate they're looking at nearly $90,000 less in interest, which is significant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I absolutely agree, I'm just pointing out that sometimes people stress the fuck out over 0.15% like they just bet --and lost-- their 401k at Vegas, or like they got screwed somehow and now they will hate their house because they gotta pay $120/m more.

I imagine them shuffling around in their bathrobe, hair unkempt, shaking their cane at the walls, mumbling "I coulda paid $120/m less if I'd waited another week before I locked in.... damn you, house, DAMN YOU TO HELL!!"

ETA: And my comment about 18% in the 1970s/80s was to give younger guys some perspective.  It is still cheap as hell to rent the money to buy a house today, whether it's 3.5% or 4.5%.  OP can snark all he wants, it doesn't change the fact that he's pole-vaulting over a mouse turd.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Lock it.  Commercial credit has a bit of a bubble going.  When it goes, it's gonna be ugly.

Besides, I see mortgages all day long at 10%, 12%, 15% interest rates.  Some of them require points up front:  5-8 to close, 2 to get out.  Think bout that for a while and you won't bitch about your 4% that WILL go up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top