Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2002 10:57:22 AM EDT
We have this program on the computer and have been downloading music and videos is there alot of viruses on here?
thanks,
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Your question confuses me.......Neo
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Your question confuses me.......Neo
View Quote

Ditto that!

I used Morpheus and switched to Kazaa---seems to be faster for me.  No viruses yet...Don't you have anti-virus software???
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok let me re phrase can I get a virus from downloading on morpheus??
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#5]
whats spyware???
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Go here and download AdAware.  It will find and remove the spyware on your computer.  You'll be amazed at how much it finds

[url]http://www.lavasoftusa.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
never had a virus problem but they have a LOT of spyware that self installs. its also a major resource hog.

mike
View Quote

Morpheus must be the most poorly written piece of multithreaded software I have ever used. Those guys must think everyone has 2 gigs. of memory.

Anyway, I have not noticed any spyware problems with Morpheus (at least, checking with ad-aware), however the newest versions are extremely slow. And the reason is obvious. It's not because the peer connections are slow, it's because the POS pushes so much spam through the pipe that there isn't any bandwidth left for your download! What a joke.

That being said, I know Kazaa has a reputation for installing spyware, so I don't use it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 11:21:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I suppose you could download a virus but you would have to download a file with an extension of bat, exe, or com and then run it.  You can't get a virus by downloading MP3s or pics. Also beware of microsoft office documents with macros.

I don't use virus protection at all and I've never had a problem.  I don't use Outlook either.

I recently downloaded Morpheus 1.9 and it works good for me.  I have 256MB of ram.

Ad Aware by Lavasoft didn't find any new spyware either.  I keep the ref file updated too.

Good luck,

Shok
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Used to like Morpheus and then they changed to the newer version.  To me it seemed like they wanted people to stop using it.  Win MX and Kazaa Lite (no spyware version) are better, although I never used Kazaa thats what I've been told many times...

You won't (or shouldn't would be a better word) get a virus from downloading MP3's and MPEG, MOV, or AVI but there may be a possibility with the streaming type of extentions.  I downloaded something and my virus checker flashed me saying its bad.  It wasn't but my guess is the streaming type of extentions can possibly be a red flag at times.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ok let me re phrase can I get a virus from downloading on morpheus??
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I use Kazaa
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#15]
my friend said he got a few viruses from morphues.  one killed his PC
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I got a bad one from IMESH. If you are downloading something that should be previewable but wont show the preview......BEWARE! There are virii out there that people are putting up that are the same size and have the same title as the stuff that you are downloading. It cost me MANY hours of restoring!
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Those of you that don't run AV software... tsk tsk. IM me and we can work out a way for you to grab norton systemworks pro off my FTP - err, uh, I mean... from your closest retailer i mean, err - um - something like that.

BTW, Look for Kazaa lite. No spyware. (If kazaa is your thing, that is... [b]nothing like USENET baby.[/b])
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top