Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2002 1:39:14 PM EDT
I am in the process right now of just staying healthy...and of course, lose maybe 10 lbs.

I have been exercising for the last month and I think that I have peaked out what weights I have lying around.

My question is, should I go and get more weights or just do a couple more reps than what I am currently lifting.

Thanks for any advise.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Added reps will make you "cut" (as you get used to a certain weight it become kind of a cardio excercise), added weights will add more muscle.
So depending on what your goal is...
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#2]
If your not already,try doing your reps to the count of 8or10..up=contraction=push slow then DOWN=release..[b] __""REALSLOW""__ [/b]W/strict form......try it.I double dare ya.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I will try doing it according to how [b]mags[/b] described it for now. I prefer my exercise routine to be more of a cardio type rather than muscle development since I don't think I look good buffed.[:D]

While we are at it, how can I make my "4-pack" into a "6-pack"??? After a lot of pain and patience, I have manage to partially develop my abs from the "keg" to what it is right now. I was wondering what is next.[thinking]

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#4]
What I understand is that it's good to mix it up: Reps for cardio endurance and increased weight for strength.

Working to lift increasing weight burns the carbohydrates in your system. Once you burn up the carbs you can follow up with reps to start burning fat.

I lost 40 pounds over two months due to health problems (Pancreatitis is NOT fun) and decided to hire a fitness trainer when I found myself 20 pounds heavier a month after surgery. I was restricted from strenous activity so it sure wasn't muscle I was putting on.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:17:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Riddler,I'd suggest you try mags suggestion too.I think you'll find this "Method of lifting" VERY EFFECTIVE!...I DO!
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#7]
once i can hit 10 reps of a certain weight,i add more,depending on the type of workout and bodypart.
10x50#,10x60#,10x70#,10x60#,10x50# if i can do this i bump up 5# each set,next workout.
if you can get 10 reps for the 1st 4 sets yet only 7 on the last set at 50# it's not time yet.
keeps me from hurting myself.
recue93
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I would up the reps. However there becomes a point where if you are doing 50 reps/set you might see better results from a good jog. If you are looking to lose some weight I would work up to 12- 15 reps/set and up the weight when you find the current weight to be too light for the amount of reps.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Heavy weights stimulate the body to release HGH and other benificial hormones. That is why the big 3 exersizes: Squats, Deadlift, & Bench press will make your whole body gain mass fast.

If your doing more than 8 reps you're not strength training. You are doing cardio.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top