Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2004 1:50:08 PM EDT
From an Israeli blogger

I'd believed that I had developed a pretty thick skin regarding sad stories working as a journalist and living in Israel, but the lead story in Yediot Aharonot today had me in tears.

It recounted the actions of a brave teacher in the Russian school whom the terrorists offered to allow to leave, and he refused, saying he wouldn't leave his pupils -- how he stood up to the terrorists and demanded water for the children -- who told them that they should be ashamed of themselves for what they were doing -- and who, ultimately, threw himself on a grenade in order to spare the children's lives and was killed.

The article compared him to the famous Holocaust hero Janus Korschak.

I haven't seen the story written in English anywhere, though I'm sure it must be out there somewhere. What a story of bravery.

UPDATE: I haven't seen any reference to the story in the international press since I've blogged it. If none turns up, I'm going to have to translate more of the Hebrew myself, because it's really an amazing story.

allisonkaplansommer.blogmosis.com/history/026067.html#026067
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't say it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top