Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2019 12:19:06 PM EDT
This is ridiculous, a true engineering disaster, how many tens of millions is this now? Glad we don't have to deal with this, we have used ARC and Autolive for decades, now others are too

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/13/702894575/honda-recalls-1-1-million-vehicles-after-air-bag-injures-driver

Honda has recalled more than 1 million Acura and Honda vehicles in the United States with air bag inflators that, if deployed during a crash, could explode and shoot pieces of sharp metal at the driver and passengers the safety feature is intended to protect.

The car company announced the recall of about 1.1 million vehicles on Tuesday, marking the latest in a series of recalls linked to Takata, the company that supplies the air bag inflator.

Takata is already part of the largest automotive recall in U.S. history. About 37 million vehicles containing 50 million of the company's defective air bags are part of that recall, according to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The regulatory agency says it has confirmed that 15 people in the United States have been killed by faulty air bag inflators from Takata, and at least 250 people have allegedly been injured.

In 2017, Takata agreed to pay $1 billion in a settlement with the U.S. Justice Department for concealing the defect from its customers.

Tuesday's recall might not have been necessary if not for Takata's earlier missteps.

According to a letter the NHTSA sent to Honda on March 11, some of the air bag inflators the company recalled on Tuesday were originally installed to fix a problem with older inflators that were part of a previous Takata recall.

That's why, Honda says, the total number of Honda and Acura vehicles affected by Takata recalls won't change. But the total number of recalled inflators in Honda and Acura cars will rise to about 21 million, according to the company.

A timeline submitted to the NHTSA as part of Honda's recall report shows the company launched an investigation into the flawed safety feature in April 2018, after it learned about a crash that had happened a few months earlier. Honda said that the precipitating accident involved a 2004 Honda Odyssey with a replacement inflator that ruptured when the air bag deployed and injured the driver's arm.

In its investigation, Honda found that inflators made at a Takata facility in Monclova, Mexico, had "experienced manufacturing process errors that introduced excessive moisture into the inflator during assembly."

According to Honda, over time, excess moisture in a sealed inflator can produce a higher than normal pressure when the air bag deploys, causing it to rupture.

When that happens, the explosion can cause pieces of metal to pass through the air bag into the car at a high speed, which, according to the safety recall report, "may result in injury or death to vehicle occupants."

According to The Associated Press, the NHTSA said in a statement Tuesday it believes the problem has been isolated and that only Honda used the dangerous Takata inflator that was made at the factory in Mexico. The regulatory agency, which still has an open investigation into the defective Takata product, also said not every car that had replacement inflators installed is at risk because the parts came from other manufacturers, according to the AP.

Owners of affected vehicles can expect to be notified beginning on or about April 17.

Honda said replacement parts from suppliers other than Takata are available to start recall repairs. The company also said it would provide rental cars to owners for free while they get their car fixed or wait for a replacement part.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if all the engineers involved committed suicide yet
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder if all the engineers involved committed suicide yet
View Quote
this seems like more of an accounting thing...

"the correct steel costs .02c more per unit than the next level down"
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#3]
We just got the recall notice for our 2011 Subaru Outback passenger side airbag.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#4]
So Honda is mounting claymores in the steering wheel and dash?
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Had our Pilot worked on under this recall, glad I didn’t get my face exploded.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a letter the other day saying my Mercedes is affected and the the airbag has to be replaced. How many other brands are going to get recalled I wonder.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Plenty of the manufacturers have for the past 15 years it seems, very few are unaffected at all
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I got a letter the other day saying my Mercedes is affected and the the airbag has to be replaced. How many other brands are going to get recalled I wonder.
View Quote
Probably six or seven brands
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#9]
According to the NHTSA over 50 million air bags are defective, and I think that's just in the United States
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Probably six or seven brands
View Quote
Ouch, that sucks for them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#12]
She has healed quite nicely
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Boom headshot

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#15]
We took our Civic in and they replaced one of the inflators so they could use it for testing.  Think they gave us $150 for the trouble but why the hell only replace one of them when they knew damn well they were junk.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#16]
wow.   gonna look into this.    thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:48:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#19]
1. THat's obviously not from the airbag.

2. I just figured out the answer for all the "drunk driving shouldn't be a crime" folks. You blow into a tube when you start your car. If it detects alcohol, the air bag is set to " detonate the skull" mode, so if your drunk ass crashes you get your brain splattered. No more drunk drivers surviving crashes where they kill innocent people! Win/win!
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#20]
That looks more like a piece of 7.62X39 metal to me.  Inshallah.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#21]
4runner is going in next week for it
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Plenty of the manufacturers have for the past 15 years it seems, very few are unaffected at all
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there any recalls for Hyundai's?
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

1. THat's obviously not from the airbag.

2. I just figured out the answer for all the "drunk driving shouldn't be a crime" folks. You blow into a tube when you start your car. If it detects alcohol, the air bag is set to " detonate the skull" mode, so if your drunk ass crashes you get your brain splattered. No more drunk drivers surviving crashes where they kill innocent people! Win/win!
View Quote
Winning
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Those replacements took forever to come out and for a while Toyota was still making NEW vehicles with the defective airbags because they believed they had a few years before they would degrade.

Meaning your brand new vehicle already had a known recall planned in the future.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I need to get my civic fixed

I did not realize it was that big of a deal
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Our 2010 BMW had a Takata airbag replaced.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Is there any recalls for Hyundai's?
View Quote
Not that I know of, we both use ARC and autoliv

@b00by
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I just got a notice yesterday for my '15 4Runner.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Ho lee shit. Maybe I should start wearing my ACH and eye pro when I drive.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a car accident in my Honda that failed to set off the airbag (not my fault). $4300 in damages. A day later I got the letter about the recall.
Dodged a bullet on that one.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#31]
My wife is taking her Subaru in next week for the same thing.

We just got the recall notice last week.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Just had the passenger side airbag in my Charger replaced yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
@Grug

What year?
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Chevrolet still says they cant replace mine on my 2009 Silverado.  Yet they can still produce new trucks with air bags.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I had a car accident in my Honda that failed to set off the airbag (not my fault). $4300 in damages. A day later I got the letter about the recall.
View Quote
IIRC it had to do with corrosion to a metal component in the airbag that would weaken it, turning it into shrapnel.

it didn't happen with every deployment, only enough of them, and probably wouldn't have happened to an az car.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
IIRC it had to do with corrosion to a metal component in the airbag that would weaken it, turning it into shrapnel.

it didn't happen with every deployment, only enough of them, and probably wouldn't have happened to an az car.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone said that's why our recall notice came later, since they were trying to get them swapped out in the more humid areas first.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Did my 2010 Mazda 6 a year or two ago.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Had this done on my BMW few years ago.
You peons are next in line.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you last that long
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Improper propellant was used, engineers advised against it but dudes higher up the chain said to roll with it.

Internal memos showed engineers notifying people and being told to basically stfu.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Improper propellant was used, engineers advised against it but dudes higher up the chain said to roll with it.

Internal memos showed engineers notifying people and being told to basically stfu.
View Quote
It was improper... eventually. As it was from the factory. Add vibration, and the pellets ground down. Same as happens with any propellant, when the wrong type/shape is used in the wrong application.

They saved money in the now by screwing the future.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#43]
I love how everyone makes money off these recalls, and the poor car owner has to sit in the shop half the day or rent a car on their own dime. Toyota specifically said no loaner cars for airbag recalls, and I think other manufacturers did too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#44]
My Honda Accord falls into the recall range again yet it is not recalled.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I heard nothing but nightmare stories about the issues at the Mexico planet..quitting Takata an going back into the Army was much better.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#47]
I received a letter last week for my Ford Ranger.
Dealership won't give me a loaner.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#48]
What’s the list of cars?
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What’s the list of cars?
View Quote
Far too many to list, some 50 million air bags need to be replaced in the nation, all but a few brands are affected

@IceStationZebra
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Is this a new recall or a continuation from Honda's a few years ago? Mine were replaced in that recall. Are the replaced one's from then being recalled?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top