Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2001 10:26:42 AM EDT
Hello AR15.com.  First post here.

I've got a problem you can help me with (Landon sure doesn't).  I've got moles in my lawn.  Actually, the numerous tunnels lead into my yard from the neighbors.  What do you recommend to get rid of them.  C-4 ??  Gasoline in the tunnels??  .308??  Please help me with my predicament.

Are you coming over this weekend Landon to grill out with me and your father??  Be a good boy and let me know.  Too-dalls.

Mom
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Down here in Texas we used the old fashioned trap method. We bait the trap with some sort of food(whatever moles like to eat) Whenever the mole walks under the trap. BAM lights out. We have caught several in our lawn this way. I don't think they even sell traps like the one we use anymore since we got it from our grandfather. It may be old but it sure is affective. You might want to check around with your local hardware stores.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Gumballs- yep gumballs

they like em cause they are sweet, but their system can't digest em and pretty soon they keel over!!

Can't hurt as they are cheap!!

Later

IAJAck
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Had them in my yard. Around here I went to Southern STates Coop. They sold me some 'stuff' you mix with water, spray it on your yard. After about a week they moved to my neithbor's yard.

HA HA HA HA

I think the directions said it contained Cod Liver Oil
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#4]
IAJack is correct...I use bubblegum, it kills them dead and you dont even need a trap but it helps in digging them out. good luck...
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Gumballs? Really? Boy, I learn something new everyday.
Hmmmm....I wonder if I leave a few on my neighbor's porch he'll.....nahhhh, he's more of a rat then a mole.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#6]
If you have something personal against moles per se, then I guess the gumball thing will work; never heard of that method before.Moles only move into an area in search of food. Usually they are after grubs or mole crickets. The grubs/crickets live under ground and feed on your grass roots. If you want to get rid of the REASON you have moles, you will need to kill their food supply, i.e. the grubs/mole crickets. Treat your lawn with grub and mole cricket killer, usually a dry granular powder with diazinon. Your garden supply store should have it, or Lowes or any of the other big national hardware stores. If you do not kill the grubs/crickets off, you will just have more moles later.[;)]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I like to use Wrigley's spearmint gum. BTW, moles eat worms. You don't want to kill their food supply. Check out [url]www.themoleman.com[/url]. He knows moles!
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Snitches are a dying breed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting site, but since his business is trapping moles, what else would you expect him to say?  My real world experience was my lawn slowly dying off, with mole tunnels all over the yard. I contacted an entymologist from Clemson University who told me to treat with grub/cricket killer. I did so, spreading a heavy application over my entire yard. That was eight months ago and I have seen no sign of any further mole activity.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Forgot to mention the worm thing, according to the bug expert from Clemson University, earthworms are pretty much unaffected by surface treatments of diazinon, since the poison only penetrates into the grass roots and slightly deeper, leaving the earthworms largely unaffected, but wiping out the grubs and mole crickets. I am no bug or pest expert, but Clemson is the primary agricultural school in this state and their advice worked for me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Landons:

Interrogate them for all available information and then liquidate them.  An anology could be made to squeeze an orange of its juice, and throw the rind away. Oh! are you talking about rodents? Peanutbutter on mousetraps should work.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Pipe bomb.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#13]
C-4 molded into the shape of a female mole.

[img]http://www.carlspackler.com/archive/cs_349.jpg[/img]

[url]http://www.carlspackler.com/videos.html[/url]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 12:16:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Aw I thought you meant the Cindy kind. Just use a big mouse trap.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 2:22:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Dynamite and the little daisy twirly thingys.

"Do what you will,
just leave me the hell out of it."

Link Posted: 9/1/2001 3:41:05 AM EDT
[#16]
In Australia a mole is a slut/tart, etc, and we don't wanna get rid of them, do we Lads!
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#17]
 I had this problem a few years back .
Borrowed an old trap from a friend , it had big spikes in it with a spring . Put it in one of the central tunnels and waited . About the 3rd day I caught ONE and only one of these pests and all tunnel digging ceased . I had tunnels ,ALOT of tunnels
all apparently from the one critter .
 No problems since .
I'll have to remember the gumball trick , kinda like roaches and powdered sugar with baking soda .
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 7:24:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Cats.

Since our neighbors moved in (we live in submurbia), and brought in at least 3 cats (from 2 households) and the cats stay out at night, the moles, skunks, chipmunks and squirrels (tree rats) have all but disappeared.

A particular skunk still shows up occasionally, trashing my lawn digging for grubs, but a few well-placed BBs in his head and ass send him back under the rock whence he came...:^)

Funny enough, we have lots more birds now- bluebirds, goldfinches, woodpeckers of all types, etc. I guess they had been competing with the rodents for the food supply out at the feeder.

As for a possible solution to moles- again, cats.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#19]
This is something my farming Dad told me:
The ground in the area of the moles is too acidic and attracts the grubs that the moles feast on.
You need to put down some lime on your yard to bring the acidic level up. This will kill the grubs and eventually the moles will leave.
I don't know if this is 100% true, but every time we had mole problems in a certain field, liming it would get rid of them.
Besides, 4 tons of gumballs in a field is really not very practical.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted: ........ecommend to get rid of them.  C-4 ??  Gasoline in the tunnels??  .308??  Please help me with my predicament.
View Quote

[i]Since FTS grabbed the obvious solution first,,,[/i]

Have you tried a GyroJet Micro-Harpoon?
You don't have to use the line & spool gismo, but if you do - throw out the old "wire."
The only thing that works right on them is 90lb catfish line.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Cats do work very well. rented a house from an old Italian man years ago. said that my wifes(ex now) cat had to go. he was worried about his garden. I had noticed a lot of moles when I checked out the place. that cat must have killed 100 moles a day. couple days later the old fella comes over with enough cat food and supplies for 20 cats. he said "moles gone, cat stay,cat very good." also wanted to know if cat would eat "mooskeeties" ...mosquitos..
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#22]
some lady told me that mink shit scares them away.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Have I got a solution for you...

[b]Calif. Farmers Hunt Furry Pests With Explosive Device[/b]

[IMG]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20010808/capt.exploding_varmints_cagk101.jpg[/IMG]

Here's the link to the original story:

[URL]http://www.FreeRepublic.com/forum/a3b70d62607c3.htm[/URL]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top