Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2008 3:22:24 AM EDT
Should we ban chain saws too?

Max

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080121/ap_on_re_us/chain_saw_attack;_ylt=Aj0v0_rA9DZhk.90WFHpHTRH2ocA

Mon Jan 21, 1:36 AM ET

NEW BLOOMFIELD, Mo. - A man wielding a chain saw and a knife attacked residents at a homeless shelter where he was staying, leaving two people in critical condition and injuring two others, police said Sunday.

Matthew Watkins, 28, was charged with four counts each of first-degree assault and armed criminal action for the attack Saturday at the Mid-America Care Center, the Callaway County sheriff's office said.

Sheriff Dennis Crane said two victims were cut by a chain saw and two others by a knife. Authorities said the victims injured by the chain saw were in critical condition, while the other two were treated and released.

Watkins had been staying at the shelter for about two weeks and was taking part in a program that provides residents with on-the-job-training, authorities said.

The attacks happened around 2 p.m. inside the shelter. Afterward, Watkins ran outside, where police got him to drop the chain saw at gunpoint and arrested him, authorities said.

Watkins, originally from St. Louis, was being held on $600,000 bond. Jail officials did not immediately know whether Watkins had an attorney.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:25:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:28:57 AM EDT
[#2]
These dangerous tools should be regulated and registered.

Home Depot, Lowe's and Walmart must have a mandatory background and registration check for these weapons.

Do it for the children.

Max
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:48:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
These dangerous tools should be regulated and registered.

Home Depot, Lowe's and Walmart must have a mandatory background and registration check for these weapons.

Do it for the children.

Max

Massachusetts already requires annual registration of machetes.  I can't believe they've overlooked this dangerouse assault saw.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:49:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:59:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By ED_P
Massachusetts already requires annual registration of machetes.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:04:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/st01/st01384.htm

Any individual who requires a machete for the purposes of cutting vegetation shall register the machete with the local police department on an annual basis and, upon payment of an appropriate annual registration fee as determined by the local granting authority, shall be issued a permit authorizing him to possess the machete solely for the purposes of cutting vegetation.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:05:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any individual who requires a machete for the purposes of cutting vegetation shall register the machete with the local police department on an annual basis and, upon payment of an appropriate annual registration fee as determined by the local granting authority, shall be issued a permit authorizing him to possess the machete solely for the purposes of cutting vegetation.

This this law cover broad swords and katanas?

If not I think they are still good.

Max
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:08:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Max

For purposes of this section, “machete” means “a heavy knife at least 18 inches in length and having a blade at least 1.5 inches wide at its broadest measurement

I have a friend really into martial arts in Mass, who worries everytime he packs up his gear to go out and practice.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:12:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?

That's pretty ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:14:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Max

For purposes of this section, “machete” means “a heavy knife at least 18 inches in length and having a blade at least 1.5 inches wide at its broadest measurement

I have a friend really into martial arts in Mass, who worries everytime he packs up his gear to go out and practice.

We should totally elect the people who sign these laws to the presidency.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:15:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crap like this is why I'll never even visit, much less live there!
I wonder what the registration fee is for a steak knife?

(and we're seriously considering electing a former govenor of this state president!)

Hessian-1
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:17:07 AM EDT
[#12]
That guy's a real cut up.

Get it?  Cut up .  

Tap tap tap.  Is this thing on?

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:18:06 AM EDT
[#13]
What next?

The banning of hurtful words and harsh language?

Max
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:20:50 AM EDT
[#14]
"I'm a lumber-jack and I'm OK, I sleep all night and I work all day!"
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:21:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty soon, the handling of rocks and stones, for anything other than skipping across the tranquil surface of a pond, will be a punishable offense of not less than two years imprisonment and a $5,000 fine.

I love this grand state of Massachusetts, a place where our uberliberal leadership watches over its mindless flock with nothing but the best intentions at heart, a land where the buttering of toast with the potentially deadly butter knife requires special licensing.  Yes ... they take care of us well, here.    
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:22:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I guess a Hobo rolling up on the shelter with a chainsaw didn't raise any eyebrows regarding threat assessment and situational awareness.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:23:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

(and we're seriously considering electing a former govenor of this state president!)

Hessian-1

Does anyone know which goenor signed that into law?  Was it Romney?

ETA:  "The Saw Is Family"
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:21:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I apologize for my scepticism.  And we joke about Britain banning knives.  It looks like this was passed in 2005 and Romney was the governor from 2003 to 2007 so it happened while he was at the helm. Another reason not to vote for him.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:31:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Fuck.

Thats freaking OLD SCHOOL !!!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:41:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:41:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Pretty soon, the handling of rocks and stones, for anything other than skipping across the tranquil surface of a pond, will be a punishable offense of not less than two years imprisonment and a $5,000 fine.

I love this grand state of Massachusetts, a place where our uberliberal leadership watches over its mindless flock with nothing but the best intentions at heart, a land where the buttering of toast with the potentially deadly butter knife requires special licensing.  Yes ... they take care of us well, here.    

Thats why a stock up on pre-ban rocks and stones!
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:20:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats why a stock up on pre-ban rocks and stones!

I've got a whole backyard full of em!    I'll make myself a fortune selling the pre-ban minerals of varying caliber later on down the line.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WOW!  Things have really changed for the worse sonce I was a child growing up there.  I had machetes, throwing stars, all sorts of ninja gear when I was a wee child.  Fuck that shit hole!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top