Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 7:59:03 PM EDT
OK, people - I believe that I promised you that I'd give a smallish range report on the PTR-91 when I stuck a scope on the rifle.

Went out Saturday to a nice Colorado location (corner of Hwy 7 and Hwy 72), 7k feet, temp was in early 90s. Wind mild to 8 kts. Rifle - postban JLD-PTR 91; ammo - South African .308 milsurp, scope - Bushnell Elite 10x40 Mil-Dot, target knobs. Sighted rifle in at 25 yards, was getting tiny one-hole ragged groups. Took the target out to 100 yards (this was measured with a tape), and had essentially no trouble getting the target sighted in; I notice that the Bushnell seems to like to take the recoil once before "completing" the adjustment, the next two or three or four rounds will impact on target.

In short, I had groups that were routinely in the 1.797" to 1.878" range (four to five rounds), off a shaky "bench" that was wobbling wildly as I'd lean against it, and one four shot group that was .926".

I suspect that this rifle will shoot reliably under a minute with handloads, and I intend to find out.

BTW, I'm up to around 550 rounds with no FTFs or FTEs. I haven't even had that kind of performance with the AR I built, although it's failed on me only once in that period (with Wolf, naturally )

I think I'm friggin' SOLD on the HK roller-lock action!

BTW, if you're a tyrant, take a quick peek at this can I filled with rocks and shot off the top of the 2 x 4 I put up on top of the target at 100 yards :

entrance hole:

exit hole:

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Did the handguards get very hot. I handled a PTR last year at a shop. The finish and workmanship seemed very good, but the handguards seemed a bit flimsy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Valid question; I found this outfit called SIIC that sold me a wide forearm (OD green) and an official HK marked stock for about $62. This is about 40% what everyone else is charging for green HK furniture. I had to dremel out the bottom of the forend and the pushpin holes had to be drilled slightly to get everything to fit; seems the heavyweight JLD BBL they stick on there is somewhat larger in diameter than normal HK profile barrels and makes stock fittment too tight to get the retaining pin in/out.

Works like a charm!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#3]
glad to hear a good report, as I plan on getting one of these as my next rifle purchase
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#4]
SIIC, got a link? I've been drooling over pictures of PTR's all week. What model was it exactly?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice!  Thanks for the post.  Is that location an established range, or just a Forest land area?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice shooting BTW.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#7]
The fire selet switch is extremely hard to move.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is that location an established range, or just a Forest land area?

Yea.......I'd like to know more about this shooting spot.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Woot!  Thanks for the good news.

My PTR-91KT is on layaway at the PX now...TIME TO GO GET IT!

Good shooting too.

ETA:  Here is the link to PTR:  www.jldenter.com/PTR-91kt%20Rifle.html
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
SIIC, got a link? I've been drooling over pictures of PTR's all week. What model was it exactly?

Sorry for the delay. http://www.sillc.com/hkparts/ The rifle's a normal PTR, post-ban.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Nice!  Thanks for the post.  Is that location an established range, or just a Forest land area?

It's BLM land that everybody shoots on. It's 2000 times cleaner than Left Hand Canyon.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

snip
Good shooting too.
snip

Thanks! [sniff]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#13]
can you get the forend with the built-in bi-pod?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:19:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
can you get the forend with the built-in bi-pod?

Yeppers, but strangely enough, you'll pay another $200 for the rifle with high-quality furniture on it. I just bought the wide forearm in OD Green without bipod and the buttstock in Jungle Green for $63.

$63 is less than $200. I figure that if I need to buy the bipod, I can throw down another $75 for it later.

I still have to buy the Green handgrip; Robert from RTG has it for $7.50.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Valid question; I found this outfit called SIIC that sold me a wide forearm (OD green) and an official HK marked stock for about $62. This is about 40% what everyone else is charging for green HK furniture. I had to dremel out the bottom of the forend and the pushpin holes had to be drilled slightly to get everything to fit; seems the heavyweight JLD BBL they stick on there is somewhat larger in diameter than normal HK profile barrels and makes stock fittment too tight to get the retaining pin in/out.

Works like a charm!

I believe you are also in violation of the 922r?  The PTR uses foreign parts and the forearm counts as a US part.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Works like a charm!

I believe you are also in violation of the 922r?  The PTR uses foreign parts and the forearm counts as a US part.

I'll be the first guy to say this in public.

I don't care.

Fuck the BATFE Nazis. I put a different color stock on my rifle and I go from honest taxpayer with spotless record to 88er requiring dynamic entry and "shoot to kill orders?"

Wake me up when I get concerned about it. Anyway, I think the forearm and stock I got were POF, and made in US, although I could be wrong.

You know, the one guy they charged with violation of Section 922(r) compliancy was the nutcase who shot at the whitehouse (notice I use the lower case; Billy the Pig-Humper was in power at the time and I automatically had less respect for the institution), then they later DROPPED THE CHARGES.

So, it looks like I'm hijacking my own thread: anybody know of any cases where 922(r) violators got tapped?

BTW, I could put spring, followers, and floorplates in the mags and be TWO parts into compliance!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top