BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/12/2013 11:26:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm right there with you.  My son loves it.  He is a lego junkie too.  He would play it for days straight if we let him.  

Supposedly the makers of it wanted to make a game that wasn't violent.  So I guess I should be glad he isn't playing COD yet.  He is 9.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I've played it on and off a few times, I also don't understand the mass hysteria over it. It's fun to mess around with, but I never played for more than, like, 30 minutes at a time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm right there with you.  My son loves it.  He is a lego junkie too.  He would play it for days straight if we let him.  

Supposedly the makers of it wanted to make a game that wasn't violent.  So I guess I should be glad he isn't playing COD yet.  He is 9.
View Quote

Aren't there zombies in minecraft?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Did your kid lock your cable box?  You click on the horse to tame it.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something like that.   But you don't have a 50 cal to mow them down with.  And you have to build shit.  Not just destroy.  I still don't get it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#6]
My boys love it. I think its stupid as hell...yet I find myself playing it from time to time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:45:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Ummm... I like Minecraft.  You should see my house

Seriously, I thought the same about it the first time I heard of it.  My friends 10 y/o daughter had a friend spend the night, and they started talking about it and such.  So I bought each of them a copy.  Well, as her dad and I sat there watching the girls 'play' it, we picked up the controller and had a go at it.  It's a great time waster if you're bored  

I just build houses, play with the dynamite, and make small farms...etc...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I banned it in my house.  3 of my sons were getting addicted to it.  My best friend told me his son spent a year doing nothing but playing that retarded game.  My kids haven't touched it in 6 months.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I dont get it. I dont understand it. My kids and their friends are CRAZY about it... looks like virtual LEGOS, but I dont understand the frothing at the mouth over it. I think there has GOT to be something subliminal going on there.

Please tell me I am not alone.
View Quote

I do not get it either but my oldest can play that game for hours on end if we let him. The other son will also play it. TBH, they both still have legos but are 13 and 14, so they also play war games.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:57:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I banned it in my house.  3 of my sons were getting addicted to it.  My best friend told me his son spent a year doing nothing but playing that retarded game.  My kids haven't touched it in 6 months.
View Quote

...derp
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:08:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

...derp
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...derp

How many kids do you have?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:13:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

...derp

lol he's in high school

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:18:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

lol he's in high school

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...derp

lol he's in high school

I graduated in 2008. Would you like to talk on skype for a minute?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:28:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I dont get it. I dont understand it. My kids and their friends are CRAZY about it... looks like virtual LEGOS, but I dont understand the frothing at the mouth over it. I think there has GOT to be something subliminal going on there.

View Quote

Game developer here, the biggest draw of Minecraft is that there is no story, no real goal and no ending. Creative license is completely handed over to the players. In the world of minecraft player create their own massive buildings and worlds, narratives, and endings. Players can build basic to advanced circuitry within the game and by advanced i mean real functioning computers within the game with the stuff called redstone.

Plus the ramdom world generation system is a marvel within its self

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:30:29 AM EDT
[#15]
The only game I know of that allows you to breed sheep underground.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#16]
It's the dumbest game I've ever seen.

ETA: Thought you meant Runescape. LOL.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:40:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Minecraft is a game that lets you be creative while learning management skills. Sure, after a bit you learn tricks and never run out of food and can survive without issue. However, at the start it's difficult.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:51:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:09:33 AM EDT
[#19]
to quote a past me

Its the ultimate survival horror. You are dropped into a foreign landscape with nothing and as the sun goes down, the monsters and zombies come out. You must somehow survive your first night by desperately attempting to hide inside a hole you have dug for yourself. As daylight beckons, you use the time to begin crafting tools and weapons, building fortifications, and hunting for food before night falls again. As days pass, you find yourself transformed from a scared naked child to a warrior, miner, architect, and farmer- forged from the fires of neccessity. You learn not only to survive, but to thrive. You move beyond your modest homestead to explore the lands beyond the horizon. What you find there will become part of your new empire.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:23:16 AM EDT
[#20]
My 10 year old used to like this game when he was 9. He's kind of over it now.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:50:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dear goodness I was alone in the world until I found this post.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:19:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I love minecraft. You can make amazing things in the game and you can raise animals and crops. Plus their are dozens of awesome mods for the game. You are only limited in that game by your imagination.

The bf and I are hardcore into simcity atm (it finally works mostly lol) but we will return for more minecrafting eventually.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:22:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I love minecraft. You can make amazing things in the game and you can raise animals and crops. Plus their are dozens of awesome mods for the game. You are only limited in that game by your imagination.

The bf and I are hardcore into simcity atm (it finally works mostly lol) but we will return for more minecrafting eventually.
View Quote
Explain "mostly".

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:23:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Did your kid lock your cable box?  You click on the horse to tame it.

View Quote

What you did...I see it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:26:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Pretty neat game. you can build some impressive stuff with the red stone.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:30:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Explain "mostly".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explain "mostly".

Well you can get in and play but claiming multiple territories can be buggy and some things like traffic and the way the education system work need fixed still.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:35:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Well you can get in and play but claiming multiple territories can be buggy and some things like traffic and the way the education system work need fixed still.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Explain "mostly".

Guess I will wait

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:42:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:44:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/wgJfVRhotlQ
View Quote

...Minecraft.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:47:05 AM EDT
[#30]
STAN!!! What's a minecraft? and how do you tame a horse in it?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:49:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Explain "mostly".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explain "mostly".

Heck with that! Explain "SimCity atm."

Oh. Wait. You meant "at the moment" didn't you?

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:54:06 AM EDT
[#32]
My boys (6 and 8) have to earn their minecraft time.  Makes it very easy to motivate them, but yea, they'd play it until they collapsed from hunger and exhaustion.  Sort of like how I was with Civilization.  There's always another cool thing you want to build.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:57:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes :p

As for minecraft, really the main thing to keep in mind for that game is that creepers gonna creep! And mostly at times you are trying to intricately mine diamonds around large lava pools :(
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:10:49 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

My boys (6 and 8) have to earn their minecraft time.  Makes it very easy to motivate them, but yea, they'd play it until they collapsed from hunger and exhaustion.  Sort of like how I was with Civilization.  There's always another cool thing you want to build.
View Quote
I tried that approach briefly, then decided on an outright ban.  Within a month of them starting to play it, they didn't want to go outside and play or go to soccer practice or games, and they were acting like assholes.  A week after the ban, they were back to their normal selves.  They're still assholes though.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:23:49 AM EDT
[#35]
I am a clinical therapist.  I work with kids of all ages.  It borders an addiction and at first these kids create alter worlds but it later evolves into where they hunt kill and destroy each other's land and each other.  Don't let them tell you different.  IT CAN BE GOOD TO PLAY BUT YOU NEED TO MONITOR SHIT.

What is very common with all the kids I work with is that they are on the spectrum and some have SERIOUS and VIOLENT backgrounds or upbringings and are consider high risk.  The hardest thing to do is getting them stop talking about it once started.  I overhear things like, "they tried to attack my castle but I trapped them", "there are reapers that try to kill me", "I spend 2 hours on the game last night and walked around", "there is a server where you can kill each other with saws". "Minecraft mine craft mine craft"!!!!!!

I speak to the parents often about monitoring their play.  In one way, they are socializing but to their own end.  I am afraid of this.  My point in tell you this story is that parents are sometimes naive about shit, especially these kids DO NOT need to be doing games that encourage isolation.

The game is marketed as a simple creating world game but there are servers that create worlds that are violent and some even sexual in nature and actually have open rape worlds.  I am not kidding.  PLEASE WATCH YOUR CHILDREN'S ACTIVITY.  

Now, my son plays this as well but he is NOT allowed to get on ANY server.  He has the iPhone version.  My son is 8 years old.

There are several versions and the xbox and PC versions allow custom server activity.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPB67HJoVyU

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:25:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
Good dad.  Some of these clowns on GD don't get it.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:33:07 AM EDT
[#37]
My nephew and daughter started playing it last year. They got me into it and it is a pretty good game. Like all video games you need a control the amount of time kids are on it and weather it is appropriate. I see no problem with Minecraft. It's virtual Lego with zombies and other monsters. Gets the creative juices flowing and challenges the imagination.

Again, all in moderation or you will get engrossed in it. Before long you'll look up at the clock and it's 3am.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:48:19 AM EDT
[#38]
I have wandered the same thing about this game. My 8 year old son is crazy about it, he has attempted to show me what its all about but i just dont get it. Weird game
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:05:09 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/wgJfVRhotlQ
View Quote
That guy has to win nerd of the year there is no way round it .

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:22:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I am a clinical therapist.  I work with kids of all ages.  It borders an addiction and at first these kids create alter worlds but it later evolves into where they hunt kill and destroy each other's land and each other.  Don't let them tell you different.  IT CAN BE GOOD TO PLAY BUT YOU NEED TO MONITOR SHIT.

What is very common with all the kids I work with is that they are on the spectrum and some have SERIOUS and VIOLENT backgrounds or upbringings and are consider high risk.  The hardest thing to do is getting them stop talking about it once started.  I overhear things like, "they tried to attack my castle but I trapped them", "there are reapers that try to kill me", "I spend 2 hours on the game last night and walked around", "there is a server where you can kill each other with saws". "Minecraft mine craft mine craft"!!!!!!

I speak to the parents often about monitoring their play.  In one way, they are socializing but to their own end.  I am afraid of this.  My point in tell you this story is that parents are sometimes naive about shit, especially these kids DO NOT need to be doing games that encourage isolation.

The game is marketed as a simple creating world game but there are servers that create worlds that are violent and some even sexual in nature and actually have open rape worlds.  I am not kidding.  PLEASE WATCH YOUR CHILDREN'S ACTIVITY.  

Now, my son plays this as well but he is NOT allowed to get on ANY server.  He has the iPhone version.  My son is 8 years old.

There are several versions and the xbox and PC versions allow custom server activity.  

View Quote

You do realize that Minecraft is from/on the Internet right? You do know rule 34 right?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:29:04 AM EDT
[#41]
My 8 year old loves it. When he first got into it, he was always playing it. Wife & I only let him play on the weekends and for only an hour a day.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:34:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Wow, I thought I was alone in my dislike of Minecraft!

I have two nephews who are full-on addicted to it. They have repeatedly tried to get me into the game but I decided it just wasn't my cup of tea. I like mission based games. I took a cursory look at Minecraft to see what the hubbub was about but didn't pursue it. Too open-world for my liking. Same reason I didn't like Fallout (I know that's sacriledge around these parts).

Now I'm more concerned about them than ever. They are both likely on the Spectrum and socially awkward to boot. Burying their heads in this doesn't seem like a good solution to this. Though I do have to remind myself... When I was 12, 14 years old I had my head buried in role playing game rulebooks so it's not like the kids are writeoffs....
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:45:18 AM EDT
[#43]
NICE ONE, STOTCH!  YOUR CASTLE FUCKIN' SUCKS!!!

Edit: this thread sounds like a bunch of old men complaining about Them Damn Kids And Their Music. And stay off my lawn! *shakes fist*

Seems like letting your kid's creative energies run wild might be fun. As others had posted, you can create functioning circuits inside the game, growing into functioning "processors" that can actually run calculations. Near stuff if you understand it.  Might be a good learning/teaching tool for basic electrical engineering.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:48:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am so glad I found this thread. My son (just turned 9) has been asking to play Minecraft for the past few months. He says his 3rd grade classmates talk about it all the time. I spoke with my wife about it and neither of us knew what it was. When we asked my son he said it was this game where you build stuff. Sounds harmless enough, right? My hesitation to letting him play is that he has ADHD and ODD and gets very addicted when playing video games. We limit his game time to the weekends only, not on school nights. And even then we limit him to a few hours of video game time on the weekends because he gets so engrossed in the games he has trouble disconnecting when we tell him his time is up.

Often we have to come in and pull the plug (literally) because when we tell him it's time to stop he just keeps playing the game saying "I'm almost done with this level/mission/thing and just need one more minute to compete it or I will lose my progress if I stop now." His addiction is so bad when he plays that he is unable to turn it off himself. Also, if he is playing a video game and he is struggling with it (can't beat the end boss, keeps missing the same jump over lava in Mario, etc.) he can have an emotional breakdown - gets very angry, crying, hysterical at the game, throws the remote, etc.

I'm not anti-video game in anyway, but some people just have addictive personalities such as my son. After reading this thread, and knowing how my son is when it comes to video games, I'm now 100% positive we won't allow him to play Minecraft.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:53:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
to quote a past me

Its the ultimate survival horror. You are dropped into a foreign landscape with nothing and as the sun goes down, the monsters and zombies come out. You must somehow survive your first night by desperately attempting to hide inside a hole you have dug for yourself. As daylight beckons, you use the time to begin crafting tools and weapons, building fortifications, and hunting for food before night falls again. As days pass, you find yourself transformed from a scared naked child to a warrior, miner, architect, and farmer- forged from the fires of neccessity. You learn not only to survive, but to thrive. You move beyond your modest homestead to explore the lands beyond the horizon. What you find there will become part of your new empire.
View Quote

I just started playing a game called Rust. That's the ultimate survival game. You start off as an anatomically correct naked man with nothing but a rock.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:57:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do the boxes rub against each other suggestively?

Or is someone making giant genitals that tower over the landscape?

I'm genuinely curious what exactly what would constitute an "open rape world" in Minecraft.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:58:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Or is someone making giant genitals that tower over the land scape?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or is someone making giant genitals that tower over the land scape?

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:01:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Game developer here, the biggest draw of Minecraft is that there is no story, no real goal and no ending. Creative license is completely handed over to the players. In the world of minecraft player create their own massive buildings and worlds, narratives, and endings. Players can build basic to advanced circuitry within the game and by advanced i mean real functioning computers within the game with the stuff called redstone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The kids are also drawn in by the social aspect of it (which should be monitored), and the many spinoff user generated mini games that have emerged from it.  

It can be competitive or creative.  It starts out simple enough for a younger kid, but gets complex enough to amuse adults.  There is a port that is geared towards teaching and school use too called MinecraftEDU, and that can be a really neat framework for teaching a variety of topics and disciplines.  It can also be a sucking great black hole of time and effort though.

If I had kids and they were playing mine craft and Kerbal space program exclusively, I'd count myself pretty lucky.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:14:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Minecraft is virtual LEGOS.

That's what it is, and there's not a damn thing wrong with that.
Quoted:

View Quote

This isn't unique to Minecraft.

A creative medium is only as dangerous to the psyche as you (or the parent) allow it to be.  What's stopping troubled "spectrum" kids from creating rape & murder worlds for themselves with regular LEGOS?

Nothing.  Please don't demonize a game because you heard of some objectionable user-created content this one time.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:15:09 AM EDT
[#50]

you should know better than to watch all that murder porn op.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top