Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2006 7:28:52 AM EDT

OK, something that looked like this flew over the house a few weeks ago.We have fly bys pretty regular.  usually they are  F15/ F18 looking jets. ( It's a fighter jet LOL) but this one looked more like the pic above.

are there any other planes with that  type rounded front end out there I'm missing?  
this is in SW Va.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#1]
EA6B is the aircraft above

S3 Viking is another stubby round nose aricraft
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#2]
EA-6B Prowler..
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#3]
NAS Oceana has used SW VA as a training area for years now.  Pope AFB in North Carolina also uses the same area to train F-15E Strike Eagles as well.  A few years back I was eating a hamburger at Pilot Mtn. Grocerty when I saw a thin line on the horrizon- almost at eye level.  In about 5 seconds I realized that it was a B1B flying low on the deck the plane was so laow that it  almost rattled my fillings out.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:36:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Scalp The Alps!!

I flew from Aviano in the rear seat of one of those...We let a EA6B crew from NKT take the helm of our Herc, they paid us back with some rides.

It was crazy. I was only in a fast mover 3 times in my life, that this IS no fast mover as compared to others, but man what a ride.

I had a hard time keeping the stomach under wraps not having the horizon line in front of me, but kinda off to the right.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
NAS Oceana has used SW VA as a training area for years now.  Pope AFB in North Carolina also uses the same area to train F-15E Strike Eagles as well.  A few years back I was eating a hamburger at Pilot Mtn. Grocerty when I saw a thin line on the horrizon- almost at eye level.  In about 5 seconds I realized that it was a B1B flying low on the deck the plane was so laow that it  almost rattled my fillings out.  

Bitchin, Haven't seen that yet. the others come over not too far off the tree tops here on the hill. close enough I feel obligated to wave at them.
pretty damn cool to have em fly right at you and blast by.  Looks like I'm in for seeing all kinds of neat shit up here.

CFII, it looks more like one in the prowler than the S3 viking.  thanks for the help.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:43:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Scalp The Alps!!

I flew from Aviano in the rear seat of one of those...We let a EA6B crew from NKT take the helm of our Herc, they paid us back with some rides.

It was crazy. I was only in a fast mover 3 times in my life, that this IS no fast mover as compared to others, but man what a ride.

I had a hard time keeping the stomach under wraps not having the horizon line in front of me, but kinda off to the right.

I bet I'd puke.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bitchin, Haven't seen that yet. the others come over not too far off the tree tops here on the hill. close enough I feel obligated to wave at them.
pretty damn cool to have em fly right at you and blast by.  Looks like I'm in for seeing all kinds of neat shit up here.

CFII, it looks more like one in the prowler than the S3 viking.  thanks for the help.

I see the prowler's pretty often, I doubt that they would send an S3 over mountains.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#8]
FLIGHT OF THE INTRUDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:49:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see the prowler's pretty often, I doubt that they would send an S3 over mountains.

that was the first one I have seen, they come by too fast for my digicam too. can't even snap a pic.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not?  They've been using them in the land attack role during OIF/OEF.

It was for sure a 2 seater.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#14]
The EA6B Prowler is an electonics wafare version of the A6, which is the 2 seat Intruder.

I had my feet knocked out from under me by the jet blast of an A6 on the flight deck of the JFK. The exhaust kind of directs down and out, and it flowed right around the JBD and knocked my feet out from under me like a karate sweep. Nice round strawberries on both knees from the non-skid on the flight deck. Ouch!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:02:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Old bird.

Are any of the other models still flying or is the EA-6B the last?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not?  They've been using them in the land attack role during OIF/OEF.

No shit?  Thought they were 100% sub/enemy ship hunters.

Either way never seen a S3 over land in my area of SW VA and haven't seen any A6's either.  The Prowlers seem to come over daily.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#17]
The prowler is a bomb truck, not a fighter. Well, bombs and anything else that will fit on a pylon.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:32:57 AM EDT
[#18]
that's FAR too easy!

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Old bird.

The EA-6B is the last of the Intruder family still in the air.  Although it's due to be replaced by the EF-18G Growler.

Fun fact:  The Air Force has pilots assigned that fly Navy Prowlers, just not off of ships.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
that's FAR too easy!

www.project1947.com/fig/flapj.jpg

Flying Pancake, Vought V-173.

Is that the worst you got?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#21]
EA6-B Prowler.

Electronics Warfare asset.

Next.

SG
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Old bird.

The EA-6B is the last of the Intruder family still in the air.  Although it's due to be replaced by the EF-18G Growler.

Fun fact:  The Air Force has pilots assigned that fly Navy Prowlers, just not off of ships.

Another fun fact:  The Navy has pilots flying the B-2.  They don't fly them off ships either!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:41:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
EA6-B Prowler.

Next.

SG

you're far behind.  the jet has been id'd 10 times, and a new picture posted that has also been id'd
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
EA6-B Prowler.

Next.

SG

you're far behind.  the jet has been id'd 10 times, and a new picture posted that has also been id'd

Whooptee shit.

Thank you, thread police.

SG

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Try a B52 Low level what a site.  Been in the pit of a QF-4 now thats a ride.  Wish we still had Wild Wiessals.  F-4Gs for the mil types.  I always wanted to be a Bear in one of those.  Backseater of the G model.  Dad is a Fighter Pilot I am Log Officer but talk like my dad.  It gets me weird looks at staff meetings.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:43:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Try a B52 Low level what a site.  

I LOVE the Buff.

SG
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:15:50 AM EDT
[#27]
I thought the S-3s were out of service now as well?

NTM
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I thought the S-3s were out of service now as well?

NTM

Not yet.  Though their days are likely numbered.  Due to be replaced by MH-60 (or are they calling them SH-60s?)
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#29]
I've got a EA-6B question.

Why the hell is it so loud?

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Turbo Jet. All comp's, no fan's
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
EA6-B Prowler.

Next.

SG

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Paging KA3B. . .
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

all of them are.

they all seem to be about the same DB levels when they fly by here.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Sirs, just  for anecdotal purposes, a few years back in the early nineties I believe we had land based EA-6Bs flying over the former Yugoslavia clearing the way for the Air Force in Aviano.  If I recall correctly it was one of those low level hot rods that clipped a ski lift cable in north east Italy killing everyone in the gondola.  Apparently one of the people in the Prowler had actually filmed the incident with a camcorder onboard and they tried to cover it up because it was so incriminating.  I was living in Italy at the time, really bad PR for the USN.

FWIW, I've hunted in the GW National Forest in western Va. for many years.  Besides those I see closer to home in SE Va. I've seen low flying Prowlers in western Va. for years.  7zero1, out.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I LOVE the Buff.

SG

That sounds pretty fucking perverted.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#36]
EA-6B Prowler?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I was working in a single bucket on the end of a 150ft grove crain one day. We had a B-52 make a pass on us about 300 ft above me in the bucket.  I could see the pilot and co-pilot laughing and there was a guy in the open bomb bay taking pictures as they flew over.  The engine blast like to have blown me out of the bucket and did blow everything else in there that wasn't tied down.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Wrong plane.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The prowler is a bomb truck, not a fighter. Well, bombs and anything else that will fit on a pylon.

BzzzzTTT!!  WRONG!!
The EA-6B has no bomb dropping capability, unless you consider pickeling the bombs off the rack using the emergency jettison CAD and using the MK1-MOD0 eyeball for bomb guidance..
The only weapon it carries is the AGM-88 aka "The HARM" (High Speed Anti-Radiation Missile).

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

10 feet of tailpipe directed at the deck gives the J-52 that extra bit of kick when it's at military power.    
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BzzzzTTT!!  WRONG!!
The EA-6B has no bomb dropping capability, unless you consider pickeling the bombs off the rack using the emergency jettison CAD and using the MK1-MOD0 eyeball for bomb guidance..
The only weapon it carries is the AGM-88 aka "The HARM" (High Speed Anti-Radiation Missile).

i think he was thinking of the straight up A-6 intruder.  That thing was indeed a bomb truck and the jet the EA-6 was derived from.

and what a helluva bomb truck it was.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
that's FAR too easy!

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#43]
yeah...I miss the Raven

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
that's FAR too easy!

img401.imageshack.us/img401/7813/11116if.jpg</a>

FSW from 1952?  Hmmm... Don't know it, but I kinda LIKE it!

I'll see your FSW and raise you a F2A-3 Brewster Buffalo!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top