Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/22/2022 10:11:03 AM EDT
Raw land around here is going for $5k per acre.

Read in the paper that there was a court house auction going on yesterday for a Foreclosure and County Property Tax Lien. Showed up an hour early and peeked at the plat map go to get an idea where it's located. Then went and learned how much taxes were owed on it - 5 years totaling $890.

Showed up for the auction. The bank said the owner passed away and they they contacted his son who said he didn't want anything to do with it. A lawyer for a local law firm on the square led the auction. The bank started the auction at $4500. It was 14F outside and there were only 2 of us bidding on the land.

I won the final bid at $7400.

The Law Firm wanted cash but wold give me till Monday. I'm flying to Florida Monday. I keep a small account at the same local bank for checks I receive. Talking with the bank the fastest way to get cash would be to do a cash advance on my 2 credit cards. A wire transfer would be possible from the bigger banks I use, but could get delayed. I did a cash advance on 2 of my credit cards.

Then I found myself walking back and forth from the Law Office to the Court House. I got the Deed and registered it with the county. Monday I'll hear back on the taxes.

The property is located about 30 minutes from my house. The neighborhood isn't the nicest one. There are a couple well maintained homes but then there are run down trailers. The property comes with a trailer plus lots of crap - trash from the overhead view. There looks to be a pond in the back of the property. The overhead view shows a couple vehicles.

I'm heading there today to explore the trailer / property. Bringing a friend with me who is a Reserve Deputy for the County. As far as I know, the property is empty. This could be an interesting treasure hunt.

I haven't decide what to do with it yet other than clearing all the trash off the land. May flip it or hold on to it.

This is my 3rd property.

TLDR - bought a meth lab on 5.7 acres.

Will post pics and possibly video later today.

Google Earth view

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Best advice, burn the trailer. After a rainy day
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats! Which part of the state? We sold 50 acres in NEMO a year ago for $2500/acre. Kinda wish now I had held onto it longer but I want something closer to KC. Probably gonna be at least $5k per for what I want.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That is a consideration of mine. The local Fire Chief is a friend, he might want to do some training on it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Remember , when it’s one someone else’s property, it’s a meth lab.  

When it’s on yours, it’s a recreational drugs lab & pharmacy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:16:44 AM EDT
[#5]
In for the photos

I would like land at $5k per acre
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Congrats! Which part of the state? We sold 50 acres in NEMO a year ago for $2500/acre. Kinda wish now I had held onto it longer but I want something closer to KC. Probably gonna be at least $5k per for what I want.
View Quote

The property is located in Ozark County, MO.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#7]
In for the meth hunt.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#8]
In! Please don’t make this a safe thread, OP.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#9]
In for pics
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In! Please don’t make this a safe thread, OP.
View Quote

I hate those threads with a passion but...
I wont have pics until this afternoon.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In for the photos

View Quote

THIS! Unless there is some crazy hazmat issue i don’t see how you can get hurt on it. Meth is just a bonus lol
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Put it to good use.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Congratulations. I’m a little bit confused what does flying to Florida have to do with anything?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#16]
DAY 1
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Google earth view added to OP.

Not sure if that pickup is there or not.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Congratulations. I’m a little bit confused what does flying to Florida have to do with anything?
View Quote

I needed to get cash fast as I wouldn't be here on Monday.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#19]
IN

Day 1

Great buy OP!
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Land in my suburban county is going for three to four times that rate. Good buy OP.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

THIS! Unless there is some crazy hazmat issue i don’t see how you can get hurt on it. Meth is just a bonus lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In for the photos

I almost bought some property at auction here in MO and, in retrospect, I’m glad I didn’t.

You really have to do your research. If there a lien on the property or there’s an environmental issue OP bought all those issues too.

It’s one of those things that it can be really awesome or really terrible.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#23]
In for the exploration
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Look for guns in the trailer THEN burn it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Now start buying up the surrounding properties that are ghetto and eliminate having shitty neighbors. Pond in the back? Well played!  Tax write off for fire dept training?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#26]
I've gotten screwed every time I try to do that.

Win the bid and then wait a year only to have some long lost relative swoop in and pay the tax bill at the last minute.  I think it's rigged and county employees are hooking up family and friends.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#27]
You didn't only buy a meth lab OP, you bought a toxic waste site.  

I guarantee all of their production waste went on the ground....with all the associated repercussions...for which you may become responsible.

If you can get out of this purchase....you should.  

If you can't, do not burn it. You're going to spend a boat load of cash in remediation....if it is actually a meth lab.

This might help: https://www.fs.fed.us/lei/dangers-meth-labs.php
And this: https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/meth_lab_guidelines.pdf?VersionId=tiPBDYy5j1FYu50VrFWtQ5xmkarazoyZ

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:39:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Tag for a potentially good story
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#29]
OST
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Win the bid and then wait a year only to have some long lost relative swoop in and pay the tax bill at the last minute.  I think it's rigged and county employees are hooking up family and friends.
View Quote

Are you out of the money you put in for the auction when that happens?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#31]
In KS you never call it in as burning a structure, you say it's a brush pile and then let it go while it's raining or shortly afterwards.  Lots of regs when it involves structures.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congratulations. I'm a little bit confused what does flying to Florida have to do with anything?

I'm always amazed at how complicated people set up banking arrangements.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Income producing property.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#34]
I would suggest a walk with a metal detector around the house at some point.  Doubtful you will find anything of value,  but you might find something you would need to take care of.
Or, someone's.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#35]
DAY 1
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get the purchase price back but youre on the hook for any changes you’ve made to the property.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Do you get a warranty deed there immediately or does the "old" owner still get a year to pay back taxes?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:51:09 AM EDT
[#38]
the dude operating the meth lab must have killed OP when he went to get the pix he promised.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  They do pay you interest when they return the money, but it's only interest on the tax owed, so basically nothing.

At least that's how I remember it.  Another MO poster can correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#40]
When you fire it up OP don't use blue methamphetamine - it's already been used I hear. I'd pick a different color.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Is there a good place to buy a bunch of land In Missouri?

Was thinking somewhere east of Kansas City
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#42]
I agree. Burn down the trailer. Sell/give away the cars if old.

Maybe put up a three strand fence and gate?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#43]
in for more pics

Quoted:
The Law Firm wanted cash but wold give me till Monday. I'm flying to Florida Monday. I keep a small account at the same local bank for checks I receive. Talking with the bank the fastest way to get cash would be to do a cash advance on my 2 credit cards. A wire transfer would be possible from the bigger banks I use, but could get delayed. I did a cash advance on 2 of my credit cards.
View Quote

lol wut. use a real bank
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Curious.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Friend at work did this one time. 6 months after ownership he received a letter from the EPA asking him how he was going to clean up the hazardous waste they had uncovered.

Apparently the old man that owned it had been letting the local chemical company bury 50 gallon drums on it for 15 years.

Shit show ensued.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope you didn't just buy a superfund site.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You didn't only buy a meth lab OP, you bought a toxic waste site.  

I guarantee all of their production waste went on the ground....with all the associated repercussions...for which you may become responsible.

If you can get out of this purchase....you should.  

If you can't, do not burn it. You're going to spend a boat load of cash in remediation....if it is actually a meth lab.

This might help: https://www.fs.fed.us/lei/dangers-meth-labs.php
And this: https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/meth_lab_guidelines.pdf?VersionId=tiPBDYy5j1FYu50VrFWtQ5xmkarazoyZ

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fdata.photofunky.net%2Foutput%2Fimage%2Fb%2F8%2F6%2Fd%2Fb86d21%2Fphotofunky.gif&f=1&nofb=1
View Quote

As far as I know it's not a meth lab.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Meth labs around here go for 50k+ per acre.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Don’t know the law in your state but in mine you can’t do anything for a year.

If you remove the trailer and the “owners” claim the land back you’ll be responsible for the “value” of the trailer or anything else you remove.

Basically don’t touch anything for 12 months.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Turn it into your personal shooting range. Clean it up and put up a proper back stop. Keep any old cars or trucks for barricades and training.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top