Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Happy cooking!

Heisenberg. "You're goddamn right!" Breaking Bad Season 5 Walter White
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Birdseye view mode in Bing maps can give you low angle looks at property

https://blogs.bing.com/maps/2017-11/over-450-areas-of-birds-eye-imagery-now-live-on-bing-mapsp
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't know the law in your state but in mine you can't do anything for a year.

If you remove the trailer and the "owners" claim the land back you'll be responsible for the "value" of the trailer or anything else you remove.

Basically don't touch anything for 12 months.
View Quote
This.  I didn't think you were even supposed to be on the property.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#4]
In on 2
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you remove the trailer and the "owners" claim the land back you'll be responsible for the "value" of the trailer or anything else you remove.

Per the law firm, it's mine to do with as I please.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

How can you claim ownership on a tax lien sale.  You forfeited rights when it was seized for failure to pay taxes.  Most municipalities hold them for the required period before selling them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah all states are different. In NC you have to return any personal property you find to the previous owner or if you sell it you have to remit the proceeds to the prior owner (in this case the deceased’s estate I imagine).  If you can’t get the proceeds to the prior owner you have to remit to the state so they can (keep)/put the money in the NC unclaimed cash account.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#8]
This thread has potential. OP might even make some new friends.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#9]
gather your friends with NV and silencers and do a night hike.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kind of a pain, but it's not like OP has six figures tied up.  

in for the treasure hunt in 364 days

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a cool deal then.  Like I said earlier I've had some frustrating dealings with tax auctions  in MO.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How can you claim ownership on a tax lien sale.  You forfeited rights when it was seized for failure to pay taxes.  Most municipalities hold them for the required period before selling them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really don't know all the legalities of it, but when I have won auctions the person had 12 months to pay the auction price plus the back taxes.  They always did in month 12, and if I would have made any improvements on the property they would have been lost.

What you state in your last sentence would make a whole lot more sense.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#13]
This was a foreclosure of land auctioned by the bank. Past due property taxes are owed on the property.  
I have a Trustee's Deed.

I don't believe a relative can swoop in and pay the back taxes and take the property as this wasn't a tax auction / sale.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This was a foreclosure of land auctioned by the bank. Past due property taxes are owed on the property.  
I have a Trustee's Deed.

I don't believe a relative can swoop in and pay the back taxes and take the property as this wasn't a tax auction / sale.
View Quote
Okay, that might be the difference then.  My situation was property that was paid for but auctioned by the county due to delinquent on taxes.  I would still make 100% sure before you go building a cabin or anything though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#15]
In Missouri there is a 3 year period where the original owner can reclaim the property.

This period starts the day the lien is placed on the property.

Typically, but is by county, they bring the property to auction every one of those years. After the third year it goes on a property list that you can buy from the county for the amount of taxes owed with no hold or anything. You pay cash and you own the property.

There are a lot of lake community lots that have been abandoned in Franklin county Missouri that are on their list. I looked into buying a couple of adjoining lots a couple years ago but all the lots that are on the list are properties no one wants due to terrain.  

The best part is Missouri law states that when a property is sold off a tax lien all other debts related to the property are non collectible ( hoa, ect. ). Although to my knowledge this hasn’t been tested in court.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a Trustee's Deed.

View Quote

Why that makes a difference. Your original post made it sound like a tax lien foreclosure auction. Not a bank foreclosure.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Why that makes a difference. Your original post made it sound like a tax lien foreclosure auction. Not a bank foreclosure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]Quoted:[/
I have a Trustee's Deed.

My bad.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In for the photos

I would like land at $5k per acre
View Quote

Tax deed sales. Ours went to auction at $2900/ac. We offered $1500 and they accepted. Schools and county just wanted their taxes. I don’t know how much private land California actually has, but it might be worth it.

Note: Land is going for $8500-10000 in our immediate area. I wouldn’t have paid $1500 but it was already connected to our existing land.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The property is located in Ozark County, MO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrats! Which part of the state? We sold 50 acres in NEMO a year ago for $2500/acre. Kinda wish now I had held onto it longer but I want something closer to KC. Probably gonna be at least $5k per for what I want.

The property is located in Ozark County, MO.

Marty Byrde? Find a fiery blonde named Ruth, she’ll know how to handle it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Should I check the walls for hidden cash?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Over 100 miles between lake of the ozarks and Ozark county.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Contrary to GD lore, not all poor people cook meth. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a Trustee's Deed.

View Quote

Ah, I took it as a tax auction.

Good purchase, OP.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You didn't only buy a meth lab OP, you bought a toxic waste site.  

I guarantee all of their production waste went on the ground....with all the associated repercussions...for which you may become responsible.

If you can get out of this purchase....you should.  

If you can't, do not burn it. You're going to spend a boat load of cash in remediation....if it is actually a meth lab.

This might help: https://www.fs.fed.us/lei/dangers-meth-labs.php
And this: https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/meth_lab_guidelines.pdf?VersionId=tiPBDYy5j1FYu50VrFWtQ5xmkarazoyZ

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fdata.photofunky.net%2Foutput%2Fimage%2Fb%2F8%2F6%2Fd%2Fb86d21%2Fphotofunky.gif&f=1&nofb=1
View Quote

It's only meth lab clean up if people know it's a meth lab :)

Seems to me people have survived for a while with this site in its current state.

Don't invite the gov unless you have to.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Deer hunt on it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, you shouldn't have any trouble making your investment back.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#27]
They dont call it Methouri for nothing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've gotten screwed every time I try to do that.

Win the bid and then wait a year only to have some long lost relative swoop in and pay the tax bill at the last minute.  I think it's rigged and county employees are hooking up family and friends.
View Quote

Rigged ???  That's how my relatives in Iowa have gotten control of most of the county.   And all of the town .  

Talk about a hive of scum .
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#29]
If you find a long bed in good shape for a 2002 Chevy call me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Congrats. Such a pain getting money fast or moving money to some people. It’s 2022 it should be easier.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Friend at work did this one time. 6 months after ownership he received a letter from the EPA asking him how he was going to clean up the hazardous waste they had uncovered.

Apparently the old man that owned it had been letting the local chemical company bury 50 gallon drums on it for 15 years.

Shit show ensued.
View Quote

My Dad ran into a similar situation.  He and my uncle bought a commercial property.  The guy they bought it off of ran a trucking/excavation company
It was a dirt lot.  
They paid cash.  No inspection.  They found out the previous owner took all of the used motor oil and dumped it all over the ground to keep the dust

Spent more getting it cleaned up to sell than they sold it for
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Do you get a warranty deed there immediately or does the "old" owner still get a year to pay back taxes?
View Quote

Is there a redemption period?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Don’t know the law in your state but in mine you can’t do anything for a year.

If you remove the trailer and the “owners” claim the land back you’ll be responsible for the “value” of the trailer or anything else you remove.

Basically don’t touch anything for 12 months.
View Quote

That sucks. In PA and FL it’s yours right away. Don’t know anything elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#34]
If it was a bank foreclosure, the bank probably did a title run to see if any liens had been filed since the loan originated. If there was a will, the son may have been the only heir and he doesn’t want it. It’s when there isn’t a will that things get sticky. I’m thinking there was not one, based on what knowledge I have with this stuff.

I’d call the bank. Had no one bid on it at the courthouse, they would have had to buy it and then list it for sale. I’m positive they would have done some homework on the title history leading up to the foreclosure auction.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you get a warranty deed there immediately or does the "old" owner still get a year to pay back taxes?

He already said that it has a tax lien on it. So he’s not going to get a warrant dead.  

Since he bought it from a bank auction he owns it outright after the taxes are paid.

Tax auctions are different.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

My Dad ran into a similar situation.  He and my uncle bought a commercial property.  The guy they bought it off of ran a trucking/excavation company
It was a dirt lot.  
They paid cash.  No inspection.  They found out the previous owner took all of the used motor oil and dumped it all over the ground to keep the dust

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Friend at work did this one time. 6 months after ownership he received a letter from the EPA asking him how he was going to clean up the hazardous waste they had uncovered.

Apparently the old man that owned it had been letting the local chemical company bury 50 gallon drums on it for 15 years.

Shit show ensued.

It was a dirt lot.  

I had a commercial property like that.  It was "baselined" instead of remediating.  Basically you could build on it but no soil was allowed to be removed from the site.  Built on it and sold it for a nice profit. Not sure what's in a meth lab but I'm sure it's not used motor oil.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Nice!
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Should I check the walls for hidden cash?
View Quote
If the owner died there and no one has been there since, I would tear that place apart piece by piece.

People like to hide things, no telling what you might find.

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 3:30:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It was a dirt lot.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit show ensued.

It was a dirt lot.  

This guy had zero money. He ended up having to deed the land to the epa I think. They basically said clean it up or deed it to us and we’ll clean it up.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Deer hunt on it.
View Quote

Never seent a deer fire a rifle.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#41]
You should call and have a dumpster delivered to the site, they will say two weeks to pick up so just ask for more time right away.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Seems to me people have survived for a while with this site in its current state.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guarantee all of their production waste went on the ground....with all the associated repercussions...for which you may become responsible.

If you can't, do not burn it. You're going to spend a boat load of cash in remediation....if it is actually a meth lab.

And this: https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/meth_lab_guidelines.pdf?VersionId=tiPBDYy5j1FYu50VrFWtQ5xmkarazoyZ

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fdata.photofunky.net%2Foutput%2Fimage%2Fb%2F8%2F6%2Fd%2Fb86d21%2Fphotofunky.gif&f=1&nofb=1

I know plenty of people that have bought meth lab property and were just fine.  They DIDN'T invite the man, call remediation companies, whatever.

I wouldn't burn the trailer and stick an organic farm right over it but it's not radioactive waste.  Nothing in making meth is going to be that toxic long term, and I doubt this was a massive operation with hundreds of gallons/pounds of waste.

I even saw someone put a
meth trailer that had a giant scorched explosion hole in the side/roof on wheels and drag it to a redneck consignment auction and sell it.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#43]
In for pictures.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice.  OP delivers.  7k + back taxes?  Really nice,  get a big dumpster in there and rent a bobcat.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Photo Dump 2:

The front door was wide open.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Living Room - looks to have been picked through already
Attachment Attached File

Kitchen - No 45 acp Luger was found.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Christina and Tarek could flip that easy
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Google earth view added to OP.

Not sure if that pickup is there or not.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/OHV2_JPG-2250006.JPG
View Quote
If I were closer I'd help you out, sounds like fun
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
OP might need hazmat if meth is there
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
In! Please don’t make this a safe thread, OP.
View Quote

Or a "my daughter wants me to meet her boyfriend" thread. Kinda the same as a safe thread. And we may never know "the rest of the story."
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top