BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2002 1:18:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, thanks DVDTracker.  Mine is the Whirlpool over the range type like that but was built just shortly before the recall models were.  So guess what happened.  Yes, mine crapped out and I got to go buy a new one since mine wasn't an XC serial numbered model.

I hate the consumer appliance and electronics game.  It seems like everything is built to fail in a few years so that everyone has to go buy new ones.  Sh!t what am I saying...everything is like that, not just electronics.

BBURN
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[img]http://www.repair.whirlpool.com/MWR/model1.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Mine looks EXACTLY like this, except mine is an Amana....
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#4]
dmuldrew,

Yes, you are correct.  The Amana, Kenmore and Whirlpool models with serial number beginning with XC are all covered under this recall.  Apparently they have had a few catch on fire, but I think it's truly one of those political deals.  Just think of it as a chance to get a new microwave!

BBURN
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#6]
We recently replaced all our kitchen appliances and sure enough the microwave is part of this recall.
When you contact them they insist you immediately unplug the microwave.
They sent us $100 to buy a small microwave to use in its place and we were able to get a real nice countertop model for around $90. The only inconvenience is not being able to use the range light and fan.
We've been waiting months for them to figure out how they were going to be fixing the problem.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a GE; they bring good thingd to life. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I've already got my new microwave from the 100 dollar rebate offer, and my recalled microwave is scheduled to be fixed on Jan 4.

If you click on this link, it explains the problem, and why the recall.
[url]http://www.repair.whirlpool.com/MWR/servicerepair.pdf[/url]
You need adobe acrobat reader to look at it.

Jay
Arizona
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 5:37:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Mine has already been repaired, as has my brother's.  My brother has already received his $100 reimbursement check; I'm still waiting.

A guy and his son did the repair in my kitchen.  Took them 20-30 minutes.  This particular guy is in the PC building/repair business, but is making extra green as a Whirlpool authorized repairer of these recalled machines.

DrMark
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Mine starts with FG so I guess I'm safe.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine was on the list but this was the first I had heard of a recall. Muchas Gracias to you for the heads up.

I just registered the microwave and asked for the $100 reimbursement.

Once again, many thanks for the the information.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I called this morning to set a repair date and they said "how about tomorrow?"  Then they called back and asked if they could come today - the job was done in 30 minutes.  I had received my $100 rebate last month.  They have handled this recall extremely well - great customer service!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top