Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2015 2:22:27 AM EDT
The trailer makes me think this is going to suck, but then I have a hard time believing Mann would be a part of something shitty.  I am not expecting Heat or anything, but hope this is a good movie.  What does the hive think?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2717822/?ref_=nm_flmg_prd_1
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:24:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I liked Miami Vice, and I really enjoy Mann's style. I'll definitely spend the cash to see it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:28:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I liked Miami Vice, and I really enjoy Mann's style. I'll definitely spend the cash to see it.
View Quote

Miami Vice was a favorite of mine even though a lot of people thought it sucked.  There was something about the way it was filmed that makes it one that I come back to every year or so.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:32:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Seems like there could have been something more exciting than "ermahgerd cyberterrorist taking down global banking", with the title Blackhat.

ETA: I'm sure Mann has made a great film.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:35:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't imagine it being very good.

One indicator of shit is when studios don't release the movie for critical review until the last minute. It comes out next Friday and has 0 critic reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Compared to American Sniper (also coming out next Friday) which has 72 reviews.

I know, screw critics,etc., but if you read between the lines....it doesn't bode well.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:36:56 AM EDT
[#5]
shootouts will be amazing

I'm sure it will feature a cross-country flight in real time or something to turn it into a great 90 minute movies in a 3 and a half hour package
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:41:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Not hopeful
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:46:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

One indicator of shit is when studios don't release the movie for critical review until the last minute. It comes out next Friday and has 0 critic reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Compared to American Sniper (also coming out next Friday) which has 72 reviews.

I know, screw critics,etc., but if you read between the lines....it doesn't bode well.
View Quote

Can't really compare it to American Sniper since it had a limited release over the holidays.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:01:14 AM EDT
[#8]
what gun did pacino use in heat??

i really wanna see this... love Mann, it's a treat when he makes a flick...
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:13:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Can't really compare it to American Sniper since it had a limited release over the holidays.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.

The only other movie that comes out on Jan 16th without reviews is.....

Doug Harris is a loveable but socially awkward groom-to-be with a problem: he has no best man. With less than two weeks to go until he marries the girl of his dreams, Doug is referred to Jimmy Callahan, owner and CEO of Best Man, Inc., a company that provides flattering best men for socially challenged guys in need. What ensues is a hilarious wedding charade as they try to pull off the big con, and an unexpected budding bromance between Doug and his fake best man Jimmy.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:22:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Hollywood has never been able to make computer hacker thrillers that are interesting - which makes sense since hackers just sit at computers and dick with them all day. If I see this I'll make sure to have low expectations.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:31:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Miami Vice was a favorite of mine even though a lot of people thought it sucked.  There was something about the way it was filmed that makes it one that I come back to every year or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The final shoot out scene was pretty well done.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
what gun did pacino use in heat??.
View Quote

FNC in 5.56mm as I recall.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#13]
"Hacker" movies tend to be pretty silly. (And I say this even though I'm not a "computer guy".)
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#14]
A beefcake hacker with Chuck Norris fighting skills that gets the girl
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

My first thought. When I think of a hacker, I don't picture Thor.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I saw it in the theater and liked it, but 30-45 minutes could have been cut out of the middle of the movie.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I saw it in the theater and liked it, but 30-45 minutes could have been cut out of the middle of the movie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And STOP SHAKING.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That can be said of literally EVERY Mann movie. He always starts strong, spends too much time on slow second act exposition then wraps it up too fast.

Edit: And from what I understand Hemsworth isn't the hacker, he's some ex con hired to track down the hacker.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
That can be said of literally EVERY Mann movie. He always starts strong, spends too much time on slow second act exposition then wraps it up too fast.

Edit: And from what I understand Hemsworth isn't the hacker, he's some ex con hired to track down the hacker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boat ride to Cuba that takes 45 minutes

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I liked it too , and watch my copy more than others .

That trailer looks good to me and Ill go see it , for sure.

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#21]
After Miami Lice and Pubic Enemies, I think I'll wait for Netflix on this one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Meh.

Hackers redux.

All it needs is "the Gibson", and a couple of retarded looking teenagers humping around a metropolitan area on skateboards.

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#23]

When I first saw the trailer I seriously thought it was a parody ad for some other product.

Like Ford cars, or something.

Does not look great, but it's MM, so....maybe?
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#24]
ill see it in two weeks when im on a work trip.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#25]
I can't wait for the realism this movie is sure to bring with respects to computer hacking. The days spent finding exploits and writing code to test and take advantage of them. Creating command and control servers. Shoring up a bot net. The hours upon hours of coding. The excitement of sitting in front of a computer concentrating intensely on memory dumps displayed in hexadecimal and translated into assembly by a debugger while a TV in the background plays old star trek reruns or the speakers are blaring from trance or EDM. This will surely be a blockbuster among actual hackers.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I can't wait for the realism this movie is sure to bring with respects to computer hacking. The days spent finding exploits and writing code to test and take advantage of them. Creating command and control servers. Shoring up a bot net. The hours upon hours of coding. The excitement of sitting in front of a computer concentrating intensely on memory dumps displayed in hexadecimal and translated into assembly by a debugger while a TV in the background plays old star trek reruns or the speakers are blaring from trance or EDM. This will surely be a blockbuster among actual hackers.
View Quote

Damn dude it's nice to hear from someone who actually enjoys his job.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

That makes a little more sense.

(As others have said, I actually liked "Miami Vice." I like Colin Farrell, and I, surprisingly, didn't absolutely hate Jaimie Fox. I liked Barry Henley as Castillo, too.))
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#28]
MM= style > substance

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#29]
"to catch this guy we are gonna need a black hat hacker named hathaway"

This line bothers me for some reason.  I am sick and tired of hearing so many "H's" in one sentence.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From everything I've read online about the movie it sounds like it is not about hacking, instead it is a "race and chase" movie about the pursuit of an international hacker.

Knowing Mann I would expect the flow of the movie to go like this:

- Mystery date hacker hacks unhackable bank in or from (or both) a foreign country, perpetrates big crime, scares the shirts.

- Shirts form international task force / search team / cliched movie trope to hunt down the hacker. First attempt results in folly and shame.

- Shirts find Hemsworth character in prison, Rambo scene commences, we will pardon you if you find our hacker.

- Hemsworth joins team, team has international female agent on it, sexual tension.

- Long ass, drawn out, laborious second act full of character development and plot development as the team chases hacker around the globe. Hemsworth and female agent fall in love.

- They corner the hacker or his gang, big end of second act shootout, hacker escapes but heroes discover key piece of evidence that will crack the case.

- Third act moves way too fast, important plot resolutions are glossed over in the name of pacing. Hacker is found and killed but heroes realize they can't stop pandora's box.

- Ambiguous ending that is neither happy nor sad, Hemsworth and lady agent can't be together due to circumstance. Cut to downbeat pop song over credits.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

From everything I've read online about the movie it sounds like it is not about hacking, instead it is a "race and chase" movie about the pursuit of an international hacker.

- Mystery date hacker hacks unhackable bank in or from (or both) a foreign country, perpetrates big crime, scares the shirts.

- Shirts form international task force / search team / cliched movie trope to hunt down the hacker. First attempt results in folly and shame.

- Shirts find Hemsworth character in prison, Rambo scene commences, we will pardon you if you find our hacker.

- Hemsworth joins team, team has international female agent on it, sexual tension.

- Long ass, drawn out, laborious second act full of character development and plot development as the team chases hacker around the globe. Hemsworth and female agent fall in love.

- They corner the hacker or his gang, big end of second act shootout, hacker escapes but heroes discover key piece of evidence that will crack the case.

- Third act moves way too fast, important plot resolutions are glossed over in the name of pacing. Hacker is found and killed but heroes realize they can't stop pandora's box.

- Ambiguous ending that is neither happy nor sad, Hemsworth and lady agent can't be together due to circumstance. Cut to downbeat pop song over credits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably a "He's a loose canon!" scene in there somewhere too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually love my job. I get paid to do this kinda stuff. And then I do it for fun after work

My sex life is completely dead!
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm really hoping Mann hasn't jumped the shark.

With Heat and Collateral, we need one more good LA crime drama filmed largely at night by Mann to complete a trifecta of LA neo-noir epicness.  I've been waiting for it for years.  I just hope it's coming one of these days.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

- Mystery date hacker hacks unhackable bank in or from (or both) a foreign country, perpetrates big crime Nuclear Power Plant, scares the shirts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Mystery date hacker hacks unhackable bank in or from (or both) a foreign country, perpetrates big crime Nuclear Power Plant, scares the shirts.

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

With Heat and Collateral, we need one more good LA crime drama filmed largely at night by Mann to complete a trifecta of LA neo-noir epicness.  I've been waiting for it for years.  I just hope it's coming one of these days.
View Quote

While I'm actually a big fan of his, I honestly don't believe he's made a better movie than "Thief."
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hollywood has never been able to make computer hacker thrillers that are interesting - which makes sense since hackers just sit at computers and dick with them all day. If I see this I'll make sure to have low expectations.
View Quote

Sneakers was a great movie.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:36:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

While I'm actually a big fan of his, I honestly don't believe he's made a better movie than "Thief."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thief was OK, but no more.

Heat and Collateral both managed to achieve the very highest levels of the art, in my opinion.  There are so many sublimely perfect little nuances and details buried in both films, with the perfect combination of actors at the height of their craft, a brilliant script, and truly artistic cinematography.  Heat may have been long, but that's necessary to create the fullness of perspective needed to care and appreciate the stakes of the game.  Most directors just go for the cheap and easy action flick instead.  I still marvel at shots like that of Vincent's house on the beach, where an entire scene is effectively crafted just to capture the essence of a single painting that told the story of the character.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:39:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I actually love my job. I get paid to do this kinda stuff. And then I do it for fun after work

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least you get to play in the sandbox.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Heat and Collateral both managed to achieve the very highest levels of the art, in my opinion.  There are so many sublimely perfect little nuances and details buried in both films, with the perfect combination of actors at the height of their craft, a brilliant script, and truly artistic cinematography.  Heat may have been long, but that's necessary to create the fullness of perspective needed to care and appreciate the stakes of the game.  Most directors just go for the cheap and easy action flick instead.  I still marvel at shots like that of Vincent's house on the beach, where an entire scene is effectively crafted just to capture the essence of a single painting that told the story of the character.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We'll have to agree to disagree. While "Heat" is certainly an enjoyable movie, a lot of what you're describing is what makes me like "Thief" better. "Heat" is very stylized. (The beach house scene is a perfect example.)

"Thief" has more grit. IMO, it comes across as more "authentic". Set pieces like the armored car robbery or the bank shootout come across as just that, movie set pieces.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Any one see it yet?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Any one see it yet?
View Quote

I have to admit, I kinda want to.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

To be fair, that describes half of GD.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#43]
'Last of the Mohicans' was pretty good. The guy generally puts out good movies. Thought Miami Vice (the movie) sucked ass bad though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The trailer makes me think this is going to suck, but then I have a hard time believing Mann would be a part of something shitty.  I am not expecting Heat or anything, but hope this is a good movie.  What does the hive think?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2717822/?ref_=nm_flmg_prd_1
View Quote

I've been feeling the same.  Very little marketing also.

Mann makes some good shit, so I can't imagine this will be a complete turd, but who knows.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm sure it will be good, as most of Mann's films/shows are.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Hmmm im bout to start  a pollin a new thrwad
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Top Top