Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 4:14:29 AM EDT
I don't have a link unfortunately. Coke says keep it out of USA and yet it's a big seller because many want Sugar in Coke, not Corn.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:19:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got some in my fridge
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:22:11 AM EDT
[#2]
The change in sugar prices is was the reason for the change back in the day from the regular Coke to the "new coke" and after a couple of years, when the consumers couldn't take it anymore, Classic Coke was "brought back" to the market. Funny thing, though... Coke used to use cane suger, than switched to beet sugar - and for the past 15 or so years, we've all been drinking corn syrup as the sweetener.

Not just Coke, but pretty much anything that is "sweet" is made with high fructose corn syrup.

They're fattening us up like pigs for slaughter!

eta - damn grammer cops!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:23:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Yep, they are holding a gun to my head and forcing me to drink coke.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:25:14 AM EDT
[#4]
when I used to work for a certain POS airline, we used to get the foreign sodas off the plane. they were superior to the domestic stuff due to their using sugar instead of that other crap.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:33:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!

ETA:  Sorry, big fan of Chuck Heston and I could not resist....
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:00:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Not just Coke, but pretty much anything that is "sweet" is made with high fructose corn syrup.

Corn is in f'in everything!  How much?  Go to Corn Allergens, click on "Corn Allergens List" on the left hand side, and see just what corn is in.  

I look at ingredient labels every time I go shopping now, and I'm still amazed every time I pick up something new.  Want to put a dent in America's obesity problem?  Take wheat and corn out of 90% of the products.  Both are such metabolic inhibitors, it's not funny.  

Unfortunately, people care more about how something tastes, rather than what's in what they're eating.  If you read an ingredient label, and don't know what some of the ingredients are, what makes you think that it might possibly be good for you?

They may put the crap out there, but it comes down to personal responsibility as to what we stuff in our mouths.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:15:05 AM EDT
[#7]
There is a cult market for Mexican Coke, and not only immigrants.

M4-AK

There is No Mexican Coke in my part of Florida..... I want Mexican Coke~
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:18:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

M4-AK

Sounds like a buisiness opportunity...  Gotta start putting Mexican Coke on the EE.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:20:34 AM EDT
[#9]
It is an opportunity. The article says Coke is bringing in their own Mexican Coke in new bottles for the Texas market as an experiment. I want Mexican Coke.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:34:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It is an opportunity. The article says Coke is bringing in their own Mexican Coke in new bottles for the Texas market as an experiment. I want Mexican Coke.

M4-AK

Why do they need to experiment?  They already know people prefer the taste of it over HFCS sweetened Coke.  They just choose to ignore the masses.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:47:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M4-AK

Why do they need to experiment?  They already know people prefer the taste of it over HFCS sweetened Coke.  They just choose to ignore the masses.

Coke stock is in the crapper. Coke ignores opportunity.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:49:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Mexican Coke at my local Mexican store is over a dollar a bottle.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:51:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank the sugar lobby.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:55:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:02:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M4-AK

Sounds like a buisiness opportunity...  Gotta start putting Mexican Coke on the EE.  

Does it come in 16oz glass bottles?  I'll give you $1 a bottle plus shipping.

Shok
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:08:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Coke has never been quite the same after losing their huge discrimination suit in the 90s.  Coke was forced to use race, gender etc. as a primary consideration in all employment business decisions rather than actual qualifications and what we are seeing is the inevitable result.

Correction: I was involved as a founding director in a de novo bank in the north Atlanta area in the early 90s.  Several of our board members were retired coke executives.  Two of the men who were directly responsible for the New Coke fiasco were members of our board.  They actually believed the Pepsi Challenge and were convinced that Pepsi was going to make Coke number two within a decade if something wasn't done.  Maybe that's why they were retired.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Coke has never been quite the same after losing their huge discrimination suit in the 90s.  Coke was forced to use race, gender etc. as a primary consideration in all employment business decisions rather than actual qualifications and what we are seeing is the inevitable result.

Correction: I was involved as a founding director in a de novo bank in the north Atlanta area in the early 90s.  Several of our board members were retired coke executives.  Two of the men who were directly responsible for the New Coke fiasco were members of our board.  They actually believed the Pepsi Challenge and were convinced that Pepsi was going to make Coke number two within a decade if something wasn't done.  Maybe that's why they were retired.

Actually I have a "conspiracy" theory behind that whole "new" coke, old coke crap. It actually was never intended to be permanent but rather a clever marketing ploy! Remember When Superman died?? And his Comic was not printed for like 6 months? It really sent that flat comic soaring!
Now look to "new" coke. First they announce that "in a few months" that they will switch the formula and NEVER bring back old coke. OH PLEASE! Like they could'nt have two drinks side by side? So then people start to panic and begin hording it like crazy. And everyone begins talking about it. (free advertising and "buzz") This makes the demand for coke go up. Then they bring out the NEW coke, plenty of people try it just to see what it tastes like, and a controversy begins, is it better???? OH MY! Oh and then people begin "demanding" that they bring back the original. So now any fans of new coke (were there any?) will horde that stuff. Then Finally they get to bring back the "old stuff" but is it called old?? NO, they now get to label it as "classic" like it's been gone for 100 years! Then people in a panic that they might ban it again or just happy to get it back will buy and buy and buy!!!! Good consumer, roll over, play dead. And t-stox laughs at you stupid Americanskis! HA HA HA!  Those guys were'nt dumb they were genius'.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:00:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Thank the sugar lobby.

+1

Sugar tarriffs keep the price of sugar in the US over 2X the world market price.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#20]
No.  They were dumb.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!

ETA:  Sorry, big fan of Chuck Heston and I could not resist....

Actually it should be <re "To Serve Man"> ".........It's a cookbook!!!!!" <Twilight Zone>  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

M4-AK

Shoot me an IM.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
No.  They were dumb.  

Yep, I worked for Coca-Cola during the New coke bullshit.

It was a mistake and they know it now.......no clever marketing ploy.

The lost sales could never be recovered.( from those earnings periods)

There hasn't been a Coke made in the US with sugar (exept by unamended bottlers) since Coke amended their contracts with the bottlers around 1980.

When I worked for Coke, which was over 13 years ago, the bottler in Mexia, Texas was an unamended bottler and still used sugar.

If that is still the case......there is your supply of sugar Coke at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Heck, you can buy Mexican Coke all day long around here.  It's everywhere.    

Yeah, but read the label.  It has corn sweetener in it, not sugar.  All this "mexican is better" is hogwash, because people think they're getting sugar.  It's still corn syrup.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No.  They were dumb.  

Yep, I worked for Coca-Cola during the New coke bullshit.

It was a mistake and they know it now.......no clever marketing ploy.

The lost sales could never be recovered.( from those earnings periods)

There hasn't been a Coke made in the US with sugar (exept by unamended bottlers) since Coke amended their contracts with the bottlers around 1980.

When I worked for Coke, which was over 13 years ago, the bottler in Mexia, Texas was an unamended bottler and still used sugar.

If that is still the case......there is your supply of sugar Coke at a reasonable price.

kinda like dublin Dr pepper the only plant that still uses Imperial Cane Sugar in Dr pepper.

you really need to check the label becouse just cuz its mexican doesnt auto mean cane sugar.
also what about Passover coke? read about it on here supposed to be sugar instead of corn syrup as well.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Mexican Coke tastes better because it is in a glass bottle, not a tin can or plastic.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Well I havnet seen it here yet
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Real Coke rulz.  One reason I am thankful for the influx of the Mexican grocers here
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M4-AK

You serious? I'm an hour south of the canadian border in bumbfuck, ND... and the local grocery store sells mexican coke.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Mexican Coke tastes better because it is in a glass bottle, not a tin can or plastic.

Ya know, there is some truth to that.

I can't explain it, but you could pull a bottle off the line and a 6.5 oz returnable bottle did seem to taste better than even a 10 bottle.

Sounds stupid, but it was an agreed on fact that the small glass bottles were just "better". Remember the only difference was the size of the bottle and they were produced at the same time.

Man the memories of the taste of that product that was ice cold and just produced.......wished I had one now.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but read the label.  It has corn sweetener in it, not sugar.  All this "mexican is better" is hogwash, because people think they're getting sugar.  It's still corn syrup.

I am not sure about you, but in Austin, TX you get bottles of both mexican Coke and DP that both have a label "100% imperial cane sugar" and list sucrose as their sugar in the ingredients.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#32]
HEBs got it dont they? Mexican 7up is teh roxor too
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
HEBs got it dont they? Mexican 7up is teh roxor too

I believe the HEBs carry the coke, but I do not think that they carry the DP, or they may, but only in the very small bottles.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Marketing classes teach it has a text book example of the biggest marketing fuck up ever... EVER.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually I have a "conspiracy" theory behind that whole "new" coke, old coke crap. It actually was never intended to be permanent but rather a clever marketing ploy! Remember When Superman died?? And his Comic was not printed for like 6 months? It really sent that flat comic soaring!
Now look to "new" coke. First they announce that "in a few months" that they will switch the formula and NEVER bring back old coke. OH PLEASE! Like they could'nt have two drinks side by side? So then people start to panic and begin hording it like crazy. And everyone begins talking about it. (free advertising and "buzz") This makes the demand for coke go up. Then they bring out the NEW coke, plenty of people try it just to see what it tastes like, and a controversy begins, is it better???? OH MY! Oh and then people begin "demanding" that they bring back the original. So now any fans of new coke (were there any?) will horde that stuff. Then Finally they get to bring back the "old stuff" but is it called old?? NO, they now get to label it as "classic" like it's been gone for 100 years! Then people in a panic that they might ban it again or just happy to get it back will buy and buy and buy!!!! Good consumer, roll over, play dead. And t-stox laughs at you stupid Americanskis! HA HA HA!  Those guys were'nt dumb they were genius'.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not sure about you, but in Austin, TX you get bottles of both mexican Coke and DP that both have a label "100% imperial cane sugar" and list sucrose as their sugar in the ingredients.

In the WSJ article, Coke describes Mexican Coke has being made with Cane sugar, and says in Europe they use Beet Sugar.
M4
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Marketing classes teach it has a text book example of the biggest marketing fuck up ever... EVER.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the same theory. Why do they say it was a mistake? Were sales down after Classic Coke was brought back? Were they down more than if they had said "Hey, were taking the sugar out and putting in corn syrup"? What do they say is a better way to do it? My guess is that they don't answer these questions because it makes a convenient example for them to bowl over ignorant students.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Coke was converted to corn syrup completely several years before they even released "New Coke", the ratio of corn-syrup to real sugar was increasing  way before that.

The reason Coke converted to corn-syrup is do to the damn government subsidies that corn farmers get in America, as well as the corn industry pushing large tariffs on cane sugar through congress.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top