Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2023 9:06:42 PM EDT
The birth of Pirates..

The island, situated near the Dunlawton Bridge in Volusia County, Florida, has been taken over by squatters who have built structures on the island

Video

Squatters have set up a makeshift camp on an island in Florida that comes complete with an elaborate treehouse and a 'welcome center'.

The island, situated near the Dunlawton Bridge in Volusia County, Florida, has been taken over by squatters who have built large structures on the island.

Due to this, officers from the Volusia Sheriff's Office as well as Port Orange Police Department, South Daytona Police Department and Florida Fish and Wildlife went around the island on Saturday issuing trespassing notices.

As well as a bunch of other structures, this impressive five story treehouse has also been built on the island

On social media, one local labelled it 'meth island' after allegedly seeing people on the island on drugs while passing.  

They said: 'Meth island, I launch my boat at the Dunlawton ramp and pass that island all the time you can see people tweaking on the shore of the island.'

Another posted: 'Are you going to go back and take them down? I hope so. Thank you.'

Meanwhile another said: 'Who was building all that. I mean meth is a hell of a drug but idk that I'd want to live in the treehouse masters on meth.'

The officers also come across a large five story treehouse completely made of scrap wood.  

An officer in the video can be heard saying: 'It is pretty impressive honestly.'

Among the clutter on the islands includes a large trampoline, a hammock and a wooden shed that has sign attached to it offering it for rent for $10 a night.

Throughout the clip, officers are seen stapling notices to the structures which read: 'TRESPASS NOTICE You are ordered to vacate the island within 48 hours.'

In a Facebook post, the Volusia Sheriff's Office said: 'Parts of these islands have become overrun with campsites, trash, wooden structures, towers, even a trampoline.

'For everyone who enjoys the beauty of this area, this is one step toward bringing it back to nature.'

Link
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Where is that napalm gif?
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#2]
A snapshot of what Pudding Fingers' America would look like.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#3]
If they had just kept their antics low-key, how long before they could sue the county for possession?
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Made me think of this old film

The Island (1980) Michael Caine
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#6]
In before Jimmy Buffett opens a Margaritaville restaurant there.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Meth, trampolines and an island would certainly be one way to have your death or grave injury be talked about.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Lol some homeless did this on an island on the james river in Richmond va. They had elwctricity, running water and cable tv. Some really good moonshine also. They didnt like any not invited either lol. This was 20 years ago but have no idea if they are still there
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I would think that’s a good thing, round them all up and put them on an island away from everyone.

Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Probably built by young people with boats making their version of a playground. Meth users don’t swim well.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Why kick them off?  Hell, forbid them from leaving so they aren’t everybody else’s problem again. “Welcome to Meth Island - now youse can’t leave.”
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If they had just kept their antics low-key, how long before they could sue the county for possession?
View Quote

I think once you are put on notice that you are trespassing, you lose Adverse Possession rights.  That may vary by state.  It's been a while since I took real estate law classes.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#13]
So when does hurricane season start?
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Live and let live.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think once you are put on notice that you are trespassing, you lose Adverse Possession rights.  That may vary by state.  It's been a while since I took real estate law classes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the state.  But generally it has to be flagrant in a way the owner can't miss it, and uncontested even though the owner must be aware.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Call it New Australia and put a wall around it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Meth island....
Surprised shitwood didn't pose for a photo op with his crew.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I used to fish there. Pathetic what a shit hole the area has become.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Damnit Dan, why wasn’t this on OP:Live

ETA: Send in Marcus Booth, he’ll lecture them off the island
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Machinegun island has a nice ring to it….
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#21]
What? No interview with a Meth head?
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#22]
BRB, moving to Florida.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Where is that napalm gif?
View Quote

A hurricane will be along eventually.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I wish I knew about this before they got trespassed. Seriously. It looks like a lot of fun to be had there. I have had some of the best times of my life hanging out with squatters and bums.

Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wish I knew about this before they got trespassed. Seriously. It looks like a lot of fun to be had there. I have had some of the best times of my life hanging out with squatters and bums.

View Quote

Saving this for posterity.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#26]
That's the kind of thing we used to build when we were kids.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:43:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Don’t methbillies steal to feed their habit?

If there is a lack of neighbors to steal from will they turn to piracy?

If they don’t have access to boats will they build zeppelins and become airship pirates?
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:07:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

Meth Island they're calling it now is just north of causeway Park in this picture. Before they made that park it was just a small beach area you could maybe put in a john boat during high tide. That cut through was barely 20' wide in the 70s 80s and 90s easier access back then and never problems like this. Progress.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:32:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Generally, adverse possession does not run against the government.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In before Jimmy Buffett opens a Margaritaville restaurant there.
View Quote

Methville.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:30:44 AM EDT
[#31]
I am kind of thinking to let them stay. Put up signs saying if the area gets filled with trash then it will be closed down. Make them live with that simple rule and stay out of sight.

Heck if I was homeless you would find me in the woods with a dug out cabin a few feet deep. I would also make sure to keep it clean, but then again I am not a drug addict. I would be as low visual and trash impact as I could be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top