Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2002 12:15:16 PM EDT
This banter seems to be between me and those who are insecure because I happen to have joined a particular club, so let's start this here.

1) It's funny to me how people immediatley get all insecure when MENSA is mentioned.
The reaction you get is almost as if you are telling them outright that they are stupid.
So, they begin to cope.
They blame the entrance tests for not being right...
They say the members are boring...
They say say all members are snobs...
They say they are smart enough to get in, but didn't want to... and so on.
It shows a VERY weak mind. Kinda like th programmed response to "gun owner" is "red neck".
It's a joke. But the sad thing is, it's a joke being told by the majority, so as dumb as the MENSA bashers look, and as transparent as their reasoning is, they will never realize it, because there are so many others right along side them saying the same things.

2) MENSA in no way is a precursor ro "making money". To those of you who are slaves to the allmighty dollar (Fine for you), you will NEVER NEVER be able to understand that it isn't god to everyone. When you try and correlate ones inherent intellegance with making money, that tells me you don't get what the clubs all about.
It isn't a capitalists club. It's a thinkers club. Some of you will never understand that "money" and "smart" are two different things (And that lack of understanding is probably why you're offended by MENSA in the first place)

3) Just because you aren't a member doesn't mean that members think you to be immediatley "stupid".
The catch here the majority of people are indeed stupid (As shown in the last presedential election, where the majority of us voted for Al Gore), thus there is sort of an automated reaction from those who aren't stupid. Like, sometimes I have used the word "inferior". When you examine the context, I am clearly not saying all non-members are across-the-board "inferior"... I am simply addressing those [b][i]WHO INDEED HAPPEN TO BE INTELECTUALLY INFERIOR[/b][/i]. I know you have been trained to become offended by anyone who suggests such a wild thing as intellectual supeority might exists, but I can't help that. You too very well may be stupid, and I don't expect you to take that well when one points it out (And probably stings a bit more coming from a stuck up "MENSA" member).
If you shout "STOP, THIEF" in a crowded room, only the thieves will run.
If you say "Intelectually Inferior" on an internet BBS, only those who fit that sdescription will take offence.

4) The tests. MENSA is in no way rooted in exclusivity. ANYONE who meets the criteria can join.
You will find those who [i]DON'T[/i] meet the criteria usually blame the test. This is to be expected, as I can't count how many times i've seen piss poor shooters "blame the gun".
IQ and SAT tests are a fair gauge at ones ability to process information.
Just because they are used in college admissions, as the Maclallan points out, in no way negates thier validity.

5) Admissions into the club in no way means you are world class at everything you do. Again. If you believed this, it was simply a sterotypical pigeon hole for you to rest your weak mind in.
I for one am a piss poor speller, and am only slightly average at spatial.
There are people in the group who can't multiply their "8" times tables, but can name every ruler of Japan going back 2000 years.
There are members who can't name 6 presidents back, but can sit on a milling machine and make unbelievable gadgets. It's a broad cross section.

6) All MENSA members are 5'2 and weigh 105# without their glasses.
This is the most common weak-minded sterotype.
I for one am very small, only being 5'5 and weighing 125#... But many members aren't.

7) Being a member in MENSA in no way means you are a good person; but, you have to realize the purpose of MENSA isn't to gather "good people". It's to gather "smart people".
I personally would MUCH rather conversate with  an interesting, evil genius than a boring, decent person. This doesn't mean I don't like or appreciate these people. It just means that when I go to a meeting, it has a specifig purpose that has nothing to do with "goodness".

So.
If you are [b]STILL[/b] offended by MENSA and it's members, what the fuck ever. I can't help that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
6) All MENSA members are 5'2 and weigh 105# without their glasses.
This is the most common weak-minded sterotype.
I for one am very small, only being 5'5 and weighing 125#... But many members aren't.
View Quote

That statement is a giant insight to your personality. You're a MENSA member with "little man" syndrome. Now I completely understand. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey McUzi, when did you stop beating your wife?
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]
"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney

[;)]
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I understand your post and do acknowledge that there may be people out there who use excuses why they're not active in MENSA because they feel inferior or threatened by people who may be more intelligent then they.  However, my gist is that you are using a very broad brush painting people who express their lack of interest in MENSA as feeling inferior or threatened.  I find that very arrogant.

Simple examples - I am very good at marketing, but tend not socialize with marketing people, I am good at math but do not hang out with accountants, I like to race cars but do not hang out with people who autocross.  Do I feel threatened by those people?  No.  Are they better marketers, better at math or better drivers than I?  Sure - but on a whole, I don't have that much fun being with them, even if we do have "something" in common.

It very well could be that the people you have mentioned and bantered with on the forum just don't feel like being in MENSA, as it does not hold their interest or offer anything they are interested in.

Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Er, well, actually, I was being sarcastic.

I am 6'3 and as of today, about 270.
So... Now that you have to eat those words [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Still waiting for that "proof" you promised [;)]
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I never beat her.
She was Jewish.
I simply stuffed her into the oven.
Can you give me any advice on how I can clean up the ashes?
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey dude.
Tell ya whay.
I just got a new PC, and should be getting a scanner soon. My PC for a LONG time was so old it had a hampster inside turning the harddrive.
My new one is pretty bad ass though.
When I get all set up, i'll be glad to provide all documentation.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey dude.
Tell ya whay.
I just got a new PC, and should be getting a scanner soon. My PC for a LONG time was so old it had a hampster inside turning the harddrive.
My new one is pretty bad ass though.
When I get all set up, i'll be glad to provide all documentation.
View Quote

I am just giving you a hard time.  You seem very earger to show your documentation [:)]
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#11]
"Mensa" still sounds to me too much like a female biological event.

Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I never beat her.
She was Jewish.
View Quote

, your the mensa member, we were waiting for you to tell us.

Must have been a large oven, something on the order of a Vulcan or Wolff?

So do tell us, why did you beat and kill her?
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I never beat her.
She was Jewish.
View Quote

Thanks for making me spit coffee on my monitor.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I am locking this because it is a duplicate thread. McUzi, feel free to continue this conversation in your original post, but we can do without the Holocaust humor. I let the hook noses and NY accent comment slide in the other thread, but you are going to have to tone it down.

Thanks for your gracious cooperation.

EDITED TO ADD: Threatening to hack me via IM is NOT any way to get anything out of me. Furthermore, your language has gone unchecked here for nearly a week, even with your monkey statements. Now hear this smartguy. Follow the Code of Conduct and you will be fine. All the MENSA in the world hasn't helped you understand some of these things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top