Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 3:27:22 PM EDT
How hard is it to put an alternator on? I'm not mechanically inclined, but I like to tinker. Is this a job for a novice or should I have it done?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
on a older car its very easy.  I mostly work on older chevy trucks and its a breeze a very easy project but then again chevy makes it easy on you there cars are very user friendly.

on a 350 V8 its like 3 bolts.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Usually pretty easy, what kind of vehicle?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#3]
On any car I've laid wrenches on it's been like 3 bolts... nothing to fear at all.  What kind of car?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How hard is it to put an alternator on? I'm not mechanically inclined, but I like to tinker. Is this a job for a novice or should I have it done?

Thanks

I did one on a 99chevy the other day that was the easiest ever, course I knew to use a backup wrench
(you might include the vehicle type, maybe a description, sometimes they are under the compressor)
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Easy to do.  A LOT more dependent on where the alternator is located on the engine.  Access will be harder if it's down low on the block as opposed to up high.  DOSCONNECT the battery before starting or get ready for some unexpected arc welding under the hood.  Removing the negative cable is what i'd recommend.

-hanko
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a 99 gmc van (safari) pretty much same as the Chevy astro
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Swapping the alternator is about the easiest maintenance you can do short of changing oil and filter.

Go for it, if you get in a bind, post a "HELP!"  here and we will be there for you.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Swapping the alternator is about the easiest maintenance you can do short of changing oil and filter.

Go for it, if you get in a bind, post a "HELP!"  here and we will be there for you.

Apparently you've never seen an early-90's GM LQ1(3.4L DOHC found in 1991-1994 Lumina Z34 and Grand Prix SE/GTP and '95-'97 Monte Carlo Z34 cars) motor and it's alternator placement.

If it's the 4.3l in the van, it should just be 2 bolts and a little wiggling.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It's a 99 gmc van (safari) pretty much same as the Chevy astro

you would just have to look at and try to see what is involved
the chevy CAR I worked on had the alternator on the top front
I never specialized, so I don't have any make\models memorized

be sure to disconnect the battery(neg cable)

and the power wire on the back of the alternator
has a place to hold the bolt from rotating while you tighten it
because it will break a part inside the alternator if you don't
(forgot the name of the part) (rectifier bridge?)

the new belt tensioners are great, if there is not a diagram somewhere telling you
how the belt goes you may want to take a good look at the routing before you take it off
we have a really cool tool to take the belts off, without the tool, in a van, it might be tough
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Disconnect the battery by taking the positive wire loose. You might need a pic of the serpentine belt config. Those things are a real mind bender sometimes. Then just take the thing off. Make sure you have everything hooked up right before reconnecting the battery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top