Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 4:04:52 AM EDT
Mayor Bright suggests crime solution: Buy a gun

Sep 15, 2005, 09:26 AM

"What we need to do... Is there any media? Chief, can I say this?," asked Mayor Bobby Bright at Tuesday's Kiwanis Club of Montgomery meeting.

"I've said it one time. Get a gun and teach our folks how to use them and shoot 'em."

Several members of the audience, approximately 100 members of the Kiwanis Club of Montgomery, broke out into nervous laughter and applause after Mayor Bright said this as the guest speaker.

To put this in context, Mayor Bright spoke directly to the issues of having an understaffed police force, clogged courts, and a vast majority of crime in Montgomery committed by the same relatively small number of people over and over again.

Bright went on to say,"There's going to be people out there who write me and say, 'God, Mayor, why are you doing this?' Listen to what I'm saying. Get your gun, learn how to shoot it, learn how to use it and use it. "

We asked the Montgomery Police Department what it thought of Mayor Bright's statements.

Spokesman Lt. Huey Thornton says, "The mayor made some good points. If a person chooses to own a handgun, then we think it is important that they know how to use that handgun and they know when the law allows them to use it."

Bright adds, "That's the only thing that we can really tell our folks to do at this point in time. If there's anything else that you know that the chief and i can do to keep this crime down, keep these guys from stealing... let me know."

Montgomery Police Chief Art Baylor is a Kiwanis Club member himself and was in attendance at Tuesday's meeting at the RSA Activity Center. WSFA 12 News tried several times to speak with Mayor Bright on camera, but he was unavailable for comment.

For people who do own a gun, or thinking about buying one, the city of Montgomery does offer a firearms safety course free of charge. You can call the police academy at (334) 240-4812 to sign up.

From WSFA TV, Montgomery, AL (http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.as...&nav=0RdDeY02):

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:07:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Fuggin A.

Someone's starting to get it.

Might want to add, buy some bottled water and some food, too!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:09:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Fuggin A.

Someone's starting to get it.

Might want to add, buy some bottled water and some food, too!

+1

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:10:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Several members of the audience, approximately 100 members of the Kiwanis Club of Montgomery, broke out into nervous laughter...

what a bunch of cunts... limp-wristed pussies who depend on others to protect them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:15:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

For people who do own a gun, or thinking about buying one, the city of Montgomery does offer a firearms safety course free of charge. You can call the police academy at (334) 240-4812 to sign up.
From WSFA TV, Montgomery, AL (http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.as...&nav=0RdDeY02):

Now here's an idea that needs to spread to other cities.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:22:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  Hell, it almost makes sense.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:27:15 AM EDT
[#6]
NICE!  How much do you want to bet the "nervous laughter and applause line" was put in by some liberal bedwetter...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:31:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
NICE!  How much do you want to bet the "nervous laughter and applause line" was put in by some liberal bedwetter...

Or some criminals in the audience...  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:32:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Kinda goes in the same line,

ALL of the STATES that have shall issue laws - have seen the crimes rates fall.

Why is that?

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:48:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, it's about TIME someone (besides us) said it!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:52:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Shoot a gun. oh my"... hhehheh hhehe
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:53:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn it!

I wish I owned a gun store around there...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:45:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Ain't it great living in a free state and with progressive, intelligent, open-minded political figures ?!!!!!!!

Gotta love 'bama !!

Lawdog
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:52:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh my...

You mean I can be responsible for myself?

Oh dear...

I don't know if we should encourage this.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:52:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:57:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ain't it great living in a free state and with progressive, intelligent, open-minded political figures ?!!!!!!!

Gotta love 'bama !!

Lawdog

and they call US backwards

You are backwards.  Don't know know that self reliance and personal responsibility are things of the past?  Only knuckle drugging cavemen would continue to put forth such ideas.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:10:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gotta love 'bama !!

Lawdog

and they call US backwards

fo real shizzle
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:13:28 AM EDT
[#17]
The other (first ) thread... HERE

BTW, did any of y'all (locals) see the HORRIBLE "legal" advice Bob Howell was spouting on WSFA last night re: SD shooting?

ETA:  Since this is in GD, someone might want to add just how liberal Bright usually is for the benefit of those unfamiliar with him. (Wait... I just did.  )
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:19:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The other (first ) thread... HERE

BTW, did any of y'all (locals) see the HORRIBLE "legal" advice Bob Howell was spouting on WSFA last night re: SD shooting?

unfortunately, no
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:19:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Reading this just feels good.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:45:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Reading this just feels good.

+1 especially in light of the NO confiscations...... this mayor needs to tell nagin to go fuck himself.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:45:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Bout time I hear some good news. The NO stuff and gas prices were really getting me depressed
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:49:48 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Bout time I hear some good news. The NO stuff and gas prices were really getting me depressed

+1. New Orleans had me on the warpath..... At least there's one person who has a bit of sense.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:58:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Well I think some people are starting to get it
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Louisiana's previous governor, Mike Foster, the good one, had the following to say in 2002:

"You have a right to get a (concealed) gun permit.  If you know how and you have a situation with some fruitcake running around, like they've got right now, it sure can save  you a lot of grief."

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:02:32 AM EDT
[#25]
So let's see. The mayor of a major American city tells his citizens to arm themselves.

It'll take a while to complete the calculations but I'm quite confident that the "cool" coeffecient of this one will be well over 0.90. (With the theoretical maximum CC being 1.0.)
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:05:18 AM EDT
[#26]
BRAVO
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#27]
This guy should talk to the NO mayor.  It is a prime example of  free state clear thinking.

Someday this attitude will RETURN to the west coast.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:09:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
So let's see. The mayor of a major American city tells his citizens to arm themselves.

It'll take a while to complete the calculations but I'm quite confident that the "cool" coeffecient of this one will be well over 0.90. (With the theoretical maximum CC being 1.0.)

Indeed.

Somebody elect this guy as mayor of Chicago.

He could go city to city spreading common sense, and before you know it our crime problem would be TINY.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#29]
You AL folks got your head figures straight...including Sen. Sessions.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:10:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Unless of course you move to an "active" cool factor rather than a passive one. With active coolness the cool coeficient can be greater than 1.0.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#31]
That's awesome.  Tell people to make an effort they survive in this world.  It's not about fear or paranoia.  Just simply having the tools to help yourself.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell yes. Should be mandatory.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#33]
 Great story to kick the weekend off with.  Now I just need to stay away from the thread that make me livid.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top