Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2001 7:33:32 PM EDT
I think about this from time to time and I am definitly not of the Tin foil hat persuasion. Some of the threads people come up with make me a little uncomfortable. I am reluctant to answer but sometimes still do.

1) How many guns do you own?
  a) what kind?
  b) Show pictures.
2) Where do you...
  a) live
  b) work
  c) shoot
3) How much ammo do you have?
4) Show us pictures of...
  a) yourself
  b) your wife
  c) your kids
  d) your car
5) How much money do you make?
6) Where were you born?

etc. etc.  You get the idea. Do these questions bother anyone else? Any others you would like to add? Perhaps these are better left un  asked or un answered. This place is great for intelligence gathering. Again not a tin foil hat guy, I just wonder if it's a good idea to give out to much info
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I hear what you are saying and to a certain degree, I completely agree... but on the other hand, when you visit this site as often as i do, its hard not to grow familiar with the regulars and feel like you know them well.  I guess it is easy to let ones guard down after awhile.  PErhaps this is not good, but if everybody kept their lips sealed and didn't allow other memebrs to get to know them, this place wouldn't be the same... ya know what I mean...
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I think your concerns are legitimate & think discretion is a wise move on a public forum.

It's smart to never give out to much info.
Sometimes people can have diarrhea of the mouth!

When your around a lot of like minded individuals though, it's tempting to join the fray!
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I think some of these questions are inappropriate to ask, but many threads require some discretion on the part of the people posting.  For example, on the thread asking who had a ham license - I posted that I did, but I left out the call sign.  There are plenty of places on the net that you can look up the names and addresses of people based on their call sign.  For those who respond to most privacy concerns with "I don't have anything to hide", look up "identity theft" and see if you really want to be giving out all sorts of information to people you don't know.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Ditto. You give your answer, thinking you're revealing an insignificant piece of information. Problem is those pieces can be combined with every other piece of info you've ever posted. Pretty soon those little pieces form a big picture.

Good thing for me I don't own any guns. I don't even work or live anywhere. I'm just a self contained computer program running at an undisclosed location somewhere in north america.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a pleasure being on this site with people of a common interest, but it's not like were all sitting around a table drinking beers and shooting the shit. That would be one big table. Anyway you really don't know who your giving all this info to or who is out there lurking. I enjoy the talk and the pictures and all but I just wonder if sometimes it's too much.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#7]
These questions don't bother me. I just avoid posting details of my gunsafe, alarm system, or dogs.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Some of those questions/topics bother me, too.
Details on what you own, where you live, pictures of self/friends, relatives, where you work, may seen to liven things up, but are not things you want to broadcast - at least not everyone.

It would be interesting to see any analysis of which users originate the too-personal topics most often, or what IP they originate from.

On the other hand, the topic originator may be innocent enough, but any lurker could put together some interesting "pictures" or profiles from those posts.

Finally, regardless of the original topic, some of us reveal quite a lot about ourselves from time to time just out of our bubbly nature.

We can carry the caution to the point of paranoia, though.   If we revealed NOTHING of a personal nature and were afraid to express any opinions or political viewpoints, what kind of a forum or life would we have???

Link Posted: 8/14/2001 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 10:37:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I, too, am on any lists the Gubmint may have. I am not really the paranoid type, but when the local FBI agent calls to ask about your arrest, you can assume that they are keeping an eye on you. That's why I don't monkey around with anything even remotely questionable. Everything I have and do is legal. I don't speed, jaywalk, or curse in front of old ladies.So anything I share on this board is of little concern to me. Once you're floating in the bowl, everybody assumes your a turd.[:D]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:01:10 AM EDT
[#13]
OK, I did the thread on where were you born, however I was careful not to ask or SAY when?  What year...I was thinking the same thing when I started the thread...will people think I was trolling for info or could this be conscrued as ...so should I delete that thread?
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:07:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I think you can ask and answer personal question and be descrete with them.  I am probably too trusting though.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:11:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I think its funny that most of the posts or requests for information that are questionable are usually some pre-pubescent kid trying to see pictures of guns or just asking questions that kids ask.  Their ignorance of the current political environment concerning gun control makes their questions seem a little invading or a little too probing.  On the other hand, I am also cautious of posting on certain topics.  Even if the original poster of the questions has no ill intent,  the information is still out there for anyone to grab.  I also am aware that all of our wonderful government agencies probably monitor these type sites on a regular basis.  In conclusion, common sense is the best policy.  It is as simple as that.  Sadly enough with all of the BS that has been happening on this board the past few months,  some of our fellow brothers in arms my be lacking in this area!

Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:12:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Its done, I deleted the where were you born thread![beer]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:21:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, I've thought about that too.  I, too, have an amateur radio license, though I don't really participate in their activities...and it amazes me how people freely give their callsign on other venues than when it's required...it takes about 15 seconds to get your real name and home address if you do that.

QS
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Its done, I deleted the where were you born thread![beer]
View Quote

This wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Folks are free to answer or not answer, ask or not ask. It was just a little food for thought.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:32:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Getting too personal are we?
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:37:25 AM EDT
[#20]
[B)]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:41:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Anybody can [i]ask[/i] anything.  It's entirely up to you how much you [i]answer[/i].

Let 'em ask.  Answer with what you're comfortable seeing on a billboard in front of your house.

Norm
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#22]
hey, y'all know the policy: dont ask, dont tell, haha
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think about this from time to time and I am definitly not of the Tin foil hat persuasion. Some of the threads people come up with make me a little uncomfortable. I am reluctant to answer but sometimes still do.

a) what kind?
  b) Show pictures.
2) Where do you...
  a) live
  b) work
  c) shoot
  a) yourself
  b) your wife
  c) your kids
  d) your car
6) Where were you born?

etc. etc.  You get the idea. Do these questions bother anyone else? Any others you would like to add? Perhaps these are better left un  asked or un answered. This place is great for intelligence gathering. Again not a tin foil hat guy, I just wonder if it's a good idea to give out to much info
View Quote

Look chief, I'm new here. If you feel my question "how much ammo you got right now" interferes with your privacy, fine.

I was simply trying to learn more about the habits of those who share my newfound hobby. Geez...

First, although I suspect no amount of proof would be good enough for you, I'm not with any governmental agency nor am I interested in compiling a secret file on how many bullets you have.
Secondly, you are in no way compelled to give a response to any question posted here except to, ironically, the moderators, who have your email address and can probably figure out where you are. In other words, you can ignore any post you want.
Lastly, since you have such extensive list of questions that bother you, can you please provide a complete listing of those question you feel are acceptable and non-intrusive for my future reference? That way I know my boundaries and stay out of trouble with you.  

Nobby out.      
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

a) what kind?
  b) Show pictures.
2) Where do you...
  a) live
  b) work
  c) shoot
  a) yourself
  b) your wife
  c) your kids
  d) your car
6) Where were you born?

View Quote

Look chief, I'm new here. If you feel my question "how much ammo you got right now" interferes with your privacy, fine.

I was simply trying to learn more about the habits of those who share my newfound hobby. Geez...

First, although I suspect no amount of proof would be good enough for you, I'm not with any governmental agency nor am I interested in compiling a secret file on how many bullets you have.
Secondly, you are in no way compelled to give a response to any question posted here except to, ironically, the moderators, who have your email address and can probably figure out where you are. In other words, you can ignore any post you want.
Lastly, since you have such extensive list of questions that bother you, can you please provide a complete listing of those question you feel are acceptable and non-intrusive for my future reference? That way I know my boundaries and stay out of trouble with you.  

Nobby out.      
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
  a) what kind?
  b) Show pictures.
2) Where do you...
  a) live
  b) work
  c) shoot
  a) yourself
  b) your wife
  c) your kids
  d) your car
6) Where were you born?
View Quote

NONE OF THE ABOVE. Thats my answer and Im sticking to it...
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Look chief
View Quote

Sukebe, what tribe are you in....Lighten up knobby.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#27]
There is a ton of info available, like it or not, that allows others to snoop.  To make a point to a fellow who I was having a disagreement with  about this on (another) discussion board, I posted a message to him that contained the following.  His name, place of birth, where he went to school, his wife and kids names, and I linked to a picture of him.  It really toasted his ass, but I didn't reveal anything that ANYONE could have found out with just a few minutes of work on the net.  I could have listed his telephone, address, and SSN, but I was only trying to make a point.
It works both ways, BTW. I had a guy send me a message that listed all of the e-mail addys at my location and the number of e-mail messages that I had waiting to download!!![rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Its done, I deleted the where were you born thread!
View Quote

TROLL ALERT!!!  Obviously, Agent satcong is merely attempting to gain trust by deleting a 'questionable' thread.  BEWARE!!  Hell, he's probably ol' Greenteeth himself, and agent of the F B Ah and a thurully dangerous man. [:)]

I've said it before, if you disclose personal info on this site you're not giving 'them' anything they can't get somewhere else or don't already have if 'them' is some omnipotent, secret gov't agency looking to catalog us all ala 'The X Files'.  Doesn't mean I'm giving out my home address but when I was born, my firearms interests, 'how much ammo'??  Just a method to get to know each other and pass the time.  Mabye even say/hear something funny or meet a fellow to shoot with as I have done here.

CB

Edited because I forgot to put the [:)] after calling satcong a bunch of goofy stuff as a JOKE.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#29]
My opinion is that each person should evaluate for himself whether or not they want to respond to a question/s. Exception being that if someone asks or responds in such a way that causes the entire forum to be placed in a bad light. Fire away[uzi]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#30]
For some reason I don't think it would matter if everyone in the world knew about anyones guns and ammo...  Where is the danger in that?  Common thieves don't hang out on AR15.com to pick out targets for theft.  That would be suicide (Hint, Hint).  There is not much more information about most of us here that can't be found elsewhere.  Guns are still semi-legal after all, so are cars, books, whatever else.

That being said, you would have to be a moron to claim to have done somthing illegal here as well as anywhere.

Just don't ask me my MasterCard number. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:I have never had a fight with anyone on this board, but don't call me a freakin agent, whatever, I'm not.  I work for Earthlink, I spend my days on the phone with your phone co. troubleshooting DSL lines and DSLAMS.  I don't really give a shit what you or anyone else thinks, and i won't continue to trade insults here with you.  This will be my last post on this subject.  If you look carefully at my posts, this was the FIRST time I ever asked where were you....whatever, I can live without the goddamned information.  I was having some fun, then, after rethinking what Sukebe said, I decided to delete the post in case it could be of any use to an agency!  WTF is wrong with that?!
View Quote

Sorry, satcong, I forgot the [:)] after my 'attempt' at humor in my first post.  I hope you noticed that I responded to your 'where were you born' thread.  I liked it.  I'm sorry you deleted as I was just getting ready to go looking for it to see if there werer anymore 42 year olds.  Oh, well...

CB
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Whew!  Man I felt under the gun there...anyways no harm done!  [beer]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Whew!  Man I felt under the gun there...anyways no harm done!  [beer]
View Quote

Nahhhh.  I'm not the 'under the gun' kind of guy.  More like the [whacko] kind of guy.  And a little forgetful.

CB

Edited because I used the wrong little guy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#34]
i just learned a very valuble lesson here a minute ago. i said something that upset everyones best friend hangfire here at ar15.com. so what does he do? well he goes straight to my info and refers to me as "Richard" instead of ar15man. thank the good lord that i had enough sense to change all that info a couple of weeks ago. i could only imagine what would have come about, if i would have left my e-mail adress and everything else i had when i first found this site 6 months ago. word to the wise- hide your info we have a trader amongst us, that needs to be gone...my 2 cents
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
we have a trader amongst us
View Quote

Whats he trading....baseball cards or what. Sorry, just a joke, I couldnt help myself
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#36]
abn-rgr lmao oooops traitor????? ha haaa i wish he were trading baseball cards, i have a whole butt-load of nolan ryan cards and such with autographs i collected as a kid...
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#37]
[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~thegardenweasel/dragonlady2.jpg[/img]

My girlfriend wears her seatbelt.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top