Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2016 5:17:23 PM EDT
I am interested in investing in some antique firearms, and ran across an SVT (Tokarev autoloading rifle, for those that don't know what it is), for 1250.

Is it worth it?
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Are the numbers electro penciled? If so, it means that the rifle is a refurb. If the numbers are matching and not electro penciled then for $1250 you are practically stealing the rifle. Things to look for also: Is the bolt plum colored? If so, that is also a sign of a refurb. Are there any SA marks stamped into the magazine or receiver? If so, that means the rifle is a Finnish capture. Finnish capture rifles tend to be non-refurbs and are worth more than the common refurb.

Essentially:
If the numbers are electro penciled or the bolt is plum colored offer $1000.
If they aren't, buy the rifle for asking price right away as long as it doesn't appear to have been messed with.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are the numbers electro penciled? If so, it means that the rifle is a refurb. If the numbers are matching and not electro penciled then for $1250 you are practically stealing the rifle. Things to look for also: Is the bolt plum colored? If so, that is also a sign of a refurb. Are there any SA marks stamped into the magazine or receiver? If so, that means the rifle is a Finnish capture. Finnish capture rifles tend to be non-refurbs and are worth more than the common refurb.

Essentially:
If they aren't, buy the rifle for asking price right away as long as it doesn't appear to have been messed with.
View Quote

Strong 4th post!
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Agreed.  Nice work, fourteener!
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Also who made the rifle will add some value to it as well.  Tula and Izhevsk are about the same value wise while Kovrov is a bit more valuable due to how few were made in the few months they made them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:22:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Essentially:
View Quote

W...wow.

Thanks.

I'll look and see if it is still there at the next show. If it is and everything is right, I will purchase it.

Its posts like yours that make me wish this site had a reputation system.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Not up here.

They are getting more this spring..

http://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/category.jsp?catid=80524
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Strong 4th post!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Essentially:

Strong 4th post!

Yea, no shit. I am not sure where he wandered in from I just hope GD doesn't scare him off.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish we could get those Mkb-42(H) rifles down here

Quoted:
Not up here.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yea, no shit. I am not sure where he wandered in from I just hope GD doesn't scare him off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Essentially:

Strong 4th post!

C'mon, he's just a post whore... .01 posts per day

Posts Per Day: 0.01
Last Login Date: 1/14/2016 9:14:22 PM EST
Last Post Date: 1/14/2016 4:24:14 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#10]
If
Quoted:

Essentially:
View Quote

Most non refurbished guns will be Fiinn capture and will likely be in worse condition than Soviet refurbished ones.

You may find a non refurbished Soviet rifle, but it would be exceedingly rare, and likely a Korean or Viet Nam bring back. In Soviet make-work style, they refurbished almost everything then put everything into storage.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:39:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not up here.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a Kovrov Arsenal SVT-40 for $300. I hated it.

Seriously, don't waste your money. The SVT-40 was my biggest gun buying disappointment ever.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Seriously, don't waste your money. The SVT-40 was my biggest gun buying disappointment ever.
View Quote

This is why you like Garands so much. There are the best of the V2.0 self loaders. (V1 being the RSC1917)

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought my SVT-40 in 2012 while Crabby was out of town.  I drove five hours with Bimba and we were both excited to pick the gun up.

After we got home, I looked at you tube videos and even with the help of the videos it took me over two hours to field strip that commie pos.

Then it took forever to put it back together again.  And the construction of the thing is second rate.  The receiver is flimsy and is made of thin, schmoed out steel.  The trigger pull is awful and the sights are almost invisible.  The rifle is long and clumsy and the muzzle brake makes it extremely noisy.

And the diarrhea frosting on the SVT'S smelly shitty cake is the fact that almost all surplus ammo is corrosive primed.  Then you have to field strip the thing.

Seriously, don't waste your money.

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

It would be an investment.

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But then you would have to look at it.  And then you would have to find someone stupid who would want to buy it. And you would have to deal with your conscience for taking advantage of a dope.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:05:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I constantly entertained how any mention of an SVT seemingly sends Fluffy into a sputtering rage.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

But then you would have to look at it.  And then you would have to find someone stupid who would want to buy it. And you would have to deal with your conscience for taking advantage of a dope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I constantly entertained how any mention of an SVT seemingly sends Fluffy into a sputtering rage.  
View Quote

A kid in Quebec wanted mine so I sold to him for $300 and used the money to buy a Garand operating rod.  

I would rather have a Garand operating rod than a Schmoe-VT
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If

Most non refurbished guns will be Fiinn capture and will likely be in worse condition than Soviet refurbished ones.

You may find a non refurbished Soviet rifle, but it would be exceedingly rare, and likely a Korean or Viet Nam bring back. In Soviet make-work style, they refurbished almost everything then put everything into storage.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

If
Quoted:

Essentially:

I have a Finnish capture SVT and it's pretty rough looking. It's not matching, but I also got it at a yard sale for $600 so I won't complain.

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I bought my SVT-40 in 2012 while Crabby was out of town.  I drove five hours with Bimba and we were both excited to pick the gun up.

After we got home, I looked at you tube videos and even with the help of the videos it took me over two hours to field strip that commie pos.

Then it took forever to put it back together again.  And the construction of the thing is second rate.  The receiver is flimsy and is made of thin, schmoed out steel.  The trigger pull is awful and the sights are almost invisible.  The rifle is long and clumsy and the muzzle brake makes it extremely noisy.

And the diarrhea frosting on the SVT'S smelly shitty cake is the fact that almost all surplus ammo is corrosive primed.  Then you have to field strip the thing.

Seriously, don't waste your money.

View Quote

FTC, love your Garand collection but down here in "freedom" land these are hard to get.  OP, if you are buying the rifle for historical provivenance than go for it.  If you are buying the rifle for any other purpose than move on.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense, but you come from the land of bagged milk and cheap combloc guns.

People here in the US LOVE slavshit, especially WWII slavshit.

The AK47 is an awful rough rifle in many respects, but if AKs were allowed for sale in Canada don't you think they would sell well?
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:15:54 PM EDT
[#23]
A Finnish capture SVT-40 would be different.  Every time you handled the piece you would have the rich satisfaction of knowing that the original commie owner was probably killed by the Finns.

Furthermore, the Finns probably killed more commies with the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:21:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The AK47 is an awful rough rifle in many respects, but if AKs were allowed for sale in Canada don't you think they would sell well?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are talking about $1200 for a cheap, crappy rifle. It is perhaps a $99 rifle at best.  I can't imagine spending about $1600 Canadian on an SVT.  No offense, but to do so would almost be insane.  

You could find a lovely S&W Model 27-2 and still have lots of money left over.  There are so many classy guns you could buy instead.

Real S&W revolvers are beautiful collectors items and that's one area of collecting you should consider.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#25]
My favorite gun

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:03:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I had a nice SVT refurb because I had always wanted one.  I eventually traded it for a PSL with scope and mags.

I realized that I couldn't use the SVT much because of the corrosive ammo issue mentioned above.  I also don't hang up my "neat" guns to enjoy looking at because I worry about break-ins.  Those are my issues, not a problem with the rifle.  They are neat and historical, and could be useful in a fight.  If you like WW2 stuff, they fit right in.

Make sure you get a real magazine and not a repro.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top