Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 5:27:56 PM EDT
Freaking liars!

This is the third bag of Match Light charcoal that I have bought the will not light for shit.  I have three half bags of match light in my garage because it doesn't light.  What the hell is the point of buying the more expensive charcoal, if I have to buy lighter fluid to light it?

I don't understand it, I have always used it in the past with no problems, so what the hell is going on now?  Are they using the economy as an excuse to make their product suck ass?  What the Fuck?

Anybody else have this issue?

Infuriated,

Fury.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Aside from it being crap. It usually lights really well if its a fresh sealed bag. You cant save a bag for a few weeks and expect it to the light. The lighter fluid shit evaporates.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#2]
3/10 on the rant. Piss poor really.
NOW! Grab your nuts, throw some charcoal lighter on it and start cooking sissy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude quit bitching and buy a chimney.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy a chimney starter and get rid of lighter fluid forever?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I think that someone at Kingsford is doing us a great service by covertly making sure that Match Light charcoal is a shitty product, thereby ensuring that it will soon pass into oblivion.

You don't even have to buy a chimney starter. Make one out of a #10 can.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Dude, you get pissed way too easily. Just douse it with rubbing alcohol and set it ablaze, then go on with your life. Your blood pressure will thank you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Yankees are funny.

I don't care who you are.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#12]
This thread title should be, "I can't build a fire boo hoo"
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Ya gotta be smarter than what you're working with.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This thread title should be, "I can't build a fire boo hoo"

That's what I had to do.

It just pisses me off that I purchased a product and it does not do what it is advertised to do.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Used it a few times. Had zero problems. Lit the bag and walked away.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't be a puss...

Dump some gasoline on the coals.

Stand the hell back and toss in a wooden match.

Works EVERY time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Keep in mind that charcoal likes to absorb things. Like moisture. From the air.
If it isn't dusty and crispy anymore, that's probably why it doesn't light well either. Dry it out in a low oven and keep it bone dry.
And use a little lot of lighter fluid, Matchlight variety or not, when you go to light it.

You can do this, and rid yourself of half-used bags of charcoal once and for all!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Don't be a puss...

Works EVERY time.

<Eddie Murphy>

Now THAT'S a FIRE!

</Eddie Murphy>
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#20]
You should go buy another bag, maybe that one will work better.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Aside from it being crap. It usually lights really well if its a fresh sealed bag. You cant save a bag for a few weeks and expect it to the light. The lighter fluid shit evaporates.

Yeah, and humidity plays a pretty big part in it too I believe.

I've always been one for fluid. A little douse never hurt nuthin'.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Alot of that charcoal is made right here in WV, go figure

actually about 30min from me
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#23]
One of the single most funny events of my childhood... Watching my dad go full retard on some matchlight that refused to go up.

First he tried an electric starter. He messed with it for about 30 minutes. It just sat there and glowed.

Next he whipped out the lighter fluid. The whole can burned off and the charcoal is acting like its made out of rocks.

Out comes the lawn mower gas can. Predictable result. Gas can on fire. Father missing half his hair. Big black spot in the lawn.

Good times.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#24]
+=
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
One of the single most funny events of my childhood... Watching my dad go full retard on some matchlight that refused to go up.

First he tried an electric starter. He messed with it for about 30 minutes. It just sat there and glowed.
Next he whipped out the lighter fluid. The whole can burned off and the charcoal is acting like its made out of rocks.
Out comes the lawn mower gas can. Predictable result. Gas can on fire. Father missing half his hair. Big black spot in the lawn.

Good times.

That reminds me of the time my dad did something similar.  Grinning the whole time he used a full can of lighter fluid on charcoal, let it set for a few minutes; told my brother (who was inside watching MTV (when they still played videos)) to light it.  

I can still picture the mushroom cloud of flame that erupted out of the Weber.  His face was blackened and he lost is eyebrows, and most of the hair on the top (just the top) of his head.  It was funny as hell!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#27]
If you have trouble with charcoal maybe you should switch to a propane grill.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't be a puss...

Works EVERY time.

<Eddie Murphy>

Now THAT'S a FIRE!

</Eddie Murphy>

That was his uncle.
Fail!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#29]

A small piece of crumpled up newspaper under the charcoal usually does the trick for me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#30]
What is your process for firing up the grill? Step-by-step.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A small piece of crumpled up newspaper under the charcoal usually does the trick for me.

Yup.  I just make several twists of newspaper.  The Matchlight stuff never lights like it shows in the commercials.

OP you could also try (like mentioned above) just lighting the whole bag.  That almost always works.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That was his uncle.
Fail!
It was his bit, though.

"Ice cream! We're gonna have ice cream!"

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#35]
i gotta agree with the lump charcoal guys...briquettes suck with all that chemical binder and shit.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#36]
NEVER had a problem with Match Light charcoal. Did you buy all 3 bags from the same place?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#37]
damn someone had a miss fire
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
i gotta agree with the lump charcoal guys...briquettes suck with all that chemical binder and shit.

+1
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#39]

I frigging hate that shit, bought 2 bags this spring, gave it a fair shake and will never buy another bag
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I frigging hate that shit, bought 2 bags this spring, gave it a fair shake and will never buy another bag
I've been using it for years with great results. What went wrong for you?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#41]

just in case no one has told you how to properly light charcoal yet
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I use briquettes, but I only use Kingsford, with starting fluid.  You have to let them burn until all the coals are white/grey, or it will taste like lighter fluid.  I have a chimney, but it seems like you waste a lot, and it doesn't save but a few minutes anyway.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good times.

That reminds me of the time my dad did something similar.  Grinning the whole time he used a full can of lighter fluid on charcoal, let it set for a few minutes; told my brother (who was inside watching MTV (when they still played videos)) to light it.  

I can still picture the mushroom cloud of flame that erupted out of the Weber.  His face was blackened and he lost is eyebrows, and most of the hair on the top (just the top) of his head.  It was funny as hell!

Try lighting the grill, putting a blow-dryer on it until the coals are all glowing hot, then quickly closing the vents and putting the lid on for a minute or two - then rip the lid off real fast! <looks for the emoticon without eyebrows>

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could not control the heat for shit, messed with the vents, the hood, everything I could think of. I just burned too hot and to fast.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could not control the heat for shit, messed with the vents, the hood, everything I could think of. I just burned too hot and to fast.

Interesting. It works great for me in a regular old (free) Weber 22" grill.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Webber 22" is the same thing I have.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Webber 22" is the same thing I have.

Did you light a lot at once?  When I had a weber, if I lit to much at the beginning, The temp wouldn't come back down until most of the lump or briquettes burned down. I have a primo now, and use a mapp torch to light 3 spots for grilling or 1 spot for low and slow.  

Primo FTW:

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#48]
I dont bother with a chimney. I set up my coals in the weber and touch em off with some fluid. I leave the cooking grill off and when they are ready I spread em with a small camp shovel. I prelight more coals in a tin pan/gut bucket , wash basin thing so I have a steady suppy of fresh coals as needed to feed into the grill.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That was his uncle.
Fail!
It was his bit, though.

"Ice cream! We're gonna have ice cream!"

I got some ice cream, I got some ice cream
You cain't afford it, you cain't afford it
and your dad is an alcoholic

...want a lick?    SIKE!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top