Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 5:59:15 AM EDT
OMFG!!! This is the 1000 fucking time that I have to completly rewrite a fucking group paper because someone cannot write for shit!!! I fucking hate this!!!!

Example....

Finally, the newest player in RFID is outsourced support services. One of the pioneers is Unisys which is a worldwide information technology services and solutions company. Some of the services they offer include:  24x7 help desk and on-site field support. The support Unisys offers is for both hardware and software issues. The first time that any company outsourced support services for RFID was when Unisys did it with Thomasville.  In addition, ODIN is working with Unisys to provide support for if there are any severe infrastructure failures and reinstallations.  ODIN technologies designed the support, troubleshooting, and training for Unisys.  

Every stinking paragraph in this 5 page paper is written like this or worse!!!!

With no citations for reference...NONE NADA...ZIP!!!!

GRRRRRR

Rant OFF!!!

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Working in groups was one of the worst things about college.  Having to talk to my moron classmates was bad enough, but even worse was having to carry all the water for the projects because their contributions were so brain-dead.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:03:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Concur.  Unless the members of the group are of mutual choosing, it's a merging of the lazy with the energetic and guess who does all the work and who gets the free ride.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:08:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if the guy has a teenage kid that wrote the report for him?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:09:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Grrr! I hear ya! I would rather work alone unless I get to pick someone I know has good skills and I trust. I would like a peer equal in my ability in a group. How do people like that make it out with a BS degree?

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:10:38 AM EDT
[#5]
reads as if it was written by a woman.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:14:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I wonder if the guy has a teenage kid that wrote the report for him?

Group projects are a grab bag. Sometimes they work beautifully. Other times you get people who are coasting on the work of others. Still other times you end up with people in the group who are determined to be the dominant voice of the group despite not having two brain cells to rub together.

It is always an adventure.

But that is life. Real life will put you in groups exactly like that, which means that folks have to learn to deal with it.

What I object to in academia these days is that a MAJORITY of the big work is being assigned as group projects sometimes to the complete exclusion of individual work. That gives no true measure of any one individual whatsoever.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:19:04 AM EDT
[#7]
More...

RFID has made huge strides in the last few years since Wal-mart put RFID on the front page of the paper.  The main use of RFID by large corporations is with case and pallet tracking. Item-level tracking on wide scale basis has not yet become economically feasible. Some companies are using item-level RFID on their expensive items as they can justify the expense with the savings.  Manufacturers, distributors, and retailers are all starting to look closely at where they can benefit using RFID. Finally, large companies like Microsoft, AT&T, and Verisign are forming partnerships or purchasing RFID companies.  When more of the mainstream companies get involved the price of each tag will continue to lower. When that happens RFID will  be as common as the bar code.

Finally on the last paragraph...

Then I have to go over the entire paper again and tell the guy to plug in his sources...

I still have my individual paper to write
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:19:05 AM EDT
[#8]
A Well-Thought-Out Englilsh Paper

Since maybe like the middle-ages, there have been differing opinions about hustle and bustle.  This cannot be denied.  It is my intention to sit down and play video games for several hours.
First, moving around quickly, and with purpose, is a true sign of character.  Secondarily, bustle (e.g. hustle) yields more product for the working types.  "Hustle and bustle are like my right and left arms," said Li'l Spicy in his famous "Hustle and Bustle Are Like My Right and Left Arms" speech.  Websters defines bustle as "excited and often noisy activity, a stir."  A stir, indeed.  Finally, sometimes gross stuff can be funny.
In conclusion, I, "The Yellow Dart," think that I have done a great job illustrating the many differing opinions about hustle and bustle, may they both rest in peace.  Also, I think Strong Bad should decrease The Cheat's allowance.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:20:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Since maybe like the middle-ages, there have been differing opinions about hustle and bustle.  This cannot be denied.  It is my intention to sit down and play video games for several hours.
First, moving around quickly, and with purpose, is a true sign of character.  Secondarily, bustle (e.g. hustle) yields more product for the working types.  "Hustle and bustle are like my right and left arms," said Li'l Spicy in his famous "Hustle and Bustle Are Like My Right and Left Arms" speech.  Websters defines bustle as "excited and often noisy activity, a stir."  A stir, indeed.  Finally, sometimes gross stuff can be funny.
In conclusion, I, "The Yellow Dart," think that I have done a great job illustrating the many differing opinions about hustle and bustle, may they both rest in peace.  Also, I think Strong Bad should decrease The Cheat's allowance.

Well...I guess I dont have it so bad...

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:26:55 AM EDT
[#10]
The really sad part is that when one OTHER person winds up carrying the bucket for 4 or 5 inept H.S. level participants, they still can ALL wind up with the same Master's.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:29:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The really sad part is that when one OTHER person winds up carrying the bucket for 4 or 5 inept H.S. level participants, they still can ALL wind up with the same Master's.

+1, let's have a group buy in the EE of Master's degrees
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:34:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, let's have a group buy in the EE of Master's degrees

Makes me wonder why I bother doing this sometimes....

I really hope it is worth it...I am over halfway finished....
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife is a master's level professional, and she is required to write reports, which must be proofed by a peer before going up the ladder. Her proof partner is a moron. At least three times a week I have to reassure her that she does in fact write like a native speaker of English, because her partner insist's on her making usage of crappy jargon: erroneous' punctuation's (and various other indication's of a lack of basic grammarianical skill's). Today's gem:

Mrs. FLA's sentence: "When the child is awakened by a nightmare, she goes to her parents' bed."

Daffy bitch's "correction:""When the child is awakened by a nightmare, she goes to her parent's bed."

I assured my wife that unless the child lives in a single-parent home, she is correct.

I feel for you, buddy. My wife has the added frustration of the dummy's absolute confidence in her own superior education and skills.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:49:33 AM EDT
[#14]
This is teaching you how things work in the real world. The few do the work of the many.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:52:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Working in groups IS one of the worst things about college.  Having to talk to my moron classmates was bad enough, but even worse was having to carry all the water for the projects because their contributions were so brain-dead.

+1
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:54:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Working in groups IS one of the worst things about college.  Having to talk to my moron classmates was bad enough, but even worse was having to carry all the water for the projects because their contributions were so brain-dead.

+1

Must be an innovation. The most I ever had to do was pair up with somebody (whom I picked) in law school.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This is teaching you how things work in the real world. The few do the work of the many.

Yes...

It has worked that way almost everywhere I have worked... even more so in the military.

Sometimes I get lucky, things come together, and everyone does their share....
this is rare... but it does happen once in a blue moon

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:16:33 AM EDT
[#18]
nothing like 'friendly fire' to prep you for your career.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Right now my personal beef is with the fidgety weirdo who is way too excited about her MBA, so she feels the need to swell every group assignment into something twice as large as it needs to be - then gets indignant when I do my part and it's in line with the assignment - yet only half as long as her part.

The last group project we did was 50% larger than what the other group did.

Sorry, but I get graded according to the points outlined in the syllabus - not based on how badly we 'showed up' the other group by adding a bunch of superflous analysis.

*yawn*

6 more months......

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Right now my personal beef is with the fidgety weirdo who is way too excited about her MBA, so she feels the need to swell every group assignment into something twice as large as it needs to be - then gets indignant when I do my part and it's in line with the assignment - yet only half as long as her part.

Sorry, but I get graded according to the points outlined in the syllabus - not based on how badly we 'showed up' the other group by adding a bunch of superflous analysis.

*yawn*

6 more months......

I cut a good page of pure grade A bullshit out of the paper.....

In one of my classes, I had a Navy Captain in my group who wrote part of the draft for our report...
I did the editing...it got interesting (being that I am a lowly E-5)

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*yawn*

6 more months......

In one of my classes, I had a Navy Captain in my group who wrote part of the draft for our report...

Ugh.

Telling someone to check their rank at the door took some nerve, I suppose.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:41:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*yawn*

6 more months......

Ugh.

Telling someone to check their rank at the door took some nerve, I suppose.

I am attending the Univeristy of Phoenix Online...

I mentioned my rank and service in my Bio...that was a mistake...

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I hated group projects in college for the same reason. I always did the majority of the work, and corrected the crap out of other people's work. One day that we were assigned groups in one class, I talked with the group for a few minutes and quickly figured out that the research paper would be mostly my work. I went to the teacher and asked to do the project on my own, and she let me. I got an A, of course, and their paper barely passed.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:41:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Must be an innovation. The most I ever had to do was pair up with somebody (whom I picked) in law school.

It's very common now - especially in business schools.

I've never worked anywhere where I got to PICK my co-workers, and since college is in part supposed to be about preparing people for the real world, the practice of randomly assigning people to groups is quite common.  We do it in our MBA program, for example, and they have to stay in the same groups for all of their required courses.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Welcome to real world.
Shit like that happens all the time.
Sometimes you get somebody that does nothing for the project... but it still has to be finished on time.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:47:36 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Did you consult with prospective employers before doing that?

I'm leery about online education - but to tell the truth, it couldn't be any worse of a 'buy your degree' program than the one I'm already in.

I majored in a rather non-mainstream, obscure science-oriented field as an undergraduate - and learned MUCH more about business than I have learned in my MBA classes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:50:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Whoever had me as a group partner in grad school was
set for the semester because I did all projects myself.

Fuck 'em...if you want it done right, do it yourself.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:03:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I've never worked anywhere where I got to PICK my co-workers, and since college is in part supposed to be about preparing people for the real world, the practice of randomly assigning people to groups is quite common.  We do it in our MBA program, for example, and they have to stay in the same groups for all of their required courses.  

Same here in the experimental psychology department.  I often assign group projects because  working as a team has become a normal expectation of most fields.  Of course, sometimes the other team members are lousy.  As a professor, I include in the syllabus that if someone is carrying the load, they should first adress it with their group members, but if nothinggood happens they come speak to me and we'll confront the situation and/or give different grades.  

Rarely does anyone come to me, but when it does happen, the schluffers often admit to it and take the lower grade.

If you feel that you are carrying the group (btw, person A doing the first draft and Person B doing the editing is not necessarily inequitable if thats what you agreed to), you may ask your professor if there is any recourse for you.  I like it when students say, "What should I do if I feel like I am carrying the group"?  The professor may offer advice or a remedy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you consult with prospective employers before doing that?

I'm leery about online education - but to tell the truth, it couldn't be any worse of a 'buy your degree' program than the one I'm already in.

I majored in a rather non-mainstream, obscure science-oriented field as an undergraduate - and learned MUCH more about business than I have learned in my MBA classes.

I earned my four year degree in Business Management on campus at the Richard Stockton College of NJ. This took me five years, while I worked full time. I paid for most of it out of my own pocket.

I did manage to take a graduate programming class at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. I took the same course at UOP, and there was no difference in the quality of the two. I received an A in both classes.

If anything, it is harder to go to school online. The classes at UOP are six weeks long and the work is very demanding. I am constantly writing papers. You have to be very disciplined, or you will fall behind very quickly.

UOP is not a diploma mill by any means. I have a 3.93 GPA and I earned it the hard way.

In today's Air Force,  distance learning is my only option to pursue a Master's program.
Staying at one base for a career with no deployments is a thing of the past.

Besides, Air Force Tuition assistance and the GI bill are paying for this degree. When I done, I will have enough money left in my GI bill to start work on an other Master's program.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Same here in the experimental psychology department.  I often assign group projects because  working as a team has become a normal expectation of most fields.  Of course, sometimes the other team members are lousy.  As a professor, I include in the syllabus that if someone is carrying the load, they should first adress it with their group members, but if nothinggood happens they come speak to me and we'll confront the situation and/or give different grades.  

Rarely does anyone come to me, but when it does happen, the schluffers often admit to it and take the lower grade.

If you feel that you are carrying the group (btw, person A doing the first draft and Person B doing the editing is not necessarily inequitable if thats what you agreed to), you may ask your professor if there is any recourse for you.  I like it when students say, "What should I do if I feel like I am carrying the group"?  The professor may offer advice or a remedy.

This is an ongoing group project that builds over five weeks. Their are five members in the group, and five papers to write...

I wrote last weeks paper and did the editing.

This week, someone else wrote the paper, and posted it for editing...

Two people replied that it was fine, and ready to post...

I went apeshit when I saw it....

I completly rewrote it, posted it back in the newsgroup, and told the person who wrote it to include sources!

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Just in case people don't know, that's from a Strong Bad e-mail entitled "english paper" from www.homestarrunner.com
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

This is an ongoing group project that builds over five weeks. Their are five members in the group, and five papers to write...

I wrote last weeks paper and did the editing.

This week, someone else wrote the paper, and posted it for editing...

Two people replied that it was fine, and ready to post...

I went apeshit when I saw it....

I completly rewrote it, posted it back in the newsgroup, and told the person who wrote it to include sources!

I see you are responding to what I said in red above and it does sound like you beginning to take on more than your fair share.

You may want to talk it out with the group about everyone carrying their fair share and living up to higher standards.  Its likley most people will blow you off, but you have nothing to lose.   You might actually come out of this mess a group leader if you can show them how to succeed as a group.  It might not be worth your time and effort to be a leader in this situation, but it might be good practice for the work world.   Leading is easy when you have a motivted and competent group, but it damn hard when your don't have either.

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top